independance of the seas, first time cruiser - need some questions answering please!

hello to all experienced cruisers. I have been looking at all reviews and need some questions answering. We are travelling on our first cruise in may on the IOTS with 4 adults and my two boys age 8 and 4. We are just starting to get excited but have a few worries.....

I have seen that RC have launched a drinks package all inc - this holiday really is a luxury for us but we are trying to keep the costs to a minimum - that said i want to go and enjoy without penny pinching. I am not a particular big drinker but like one now and again - my husband enjoys a drink but not in excess. The plan is to get one of the AI drinks packages - one between two and share it - can anyone tell me if this would be managed easily or should we just get two and have done with it - same goes for the kids soft drink packages? could they share?

My other question is i have seen on some forum somewhere that someone managed to get a free upgrade, how is this possible? the room we have has drop down beds - will my children be ok in these or will it be me and hubby that sleep in them! we are eating at 6.00 each evening hopefully this should suit us with the children - anyone have any comments on that - finally the kids clubs - due to the kids ages will they be together at all, i know the age groups are separate but do they hang around in the same area, does anyone have and bad experiences of the kids clubs. thanks so much to everyone that responds - we really are looking forward to a holiday of a lifetime!!!

me again just remembered one more thing - we have $200 dollars on board credit - what can this be used for and how do we receive it? thanks!

It can be used for anything that you buy ON BOARD. Think of it as a credit on your credit card. You can NOT use it for buying stuff before you board. Thus you may want to wait to buy drink packages until you are on board.

hello to all experienced cruisers. I have been looking at all reviews and need some questions answering. We are travelling on our first cruise in may on the IOTS with 4 adults and my two boys age 8 and 4. We are just starting to get excited but have a few worries.....

I have seen that RC have launched a drinks package all inc - this holiday really is a luxury for us but we are trying to keep the costs to a minimum - that said i want to go and enjoy without penny pinching. I am not a particular big drinker but like one now and again - my husband enjoys a drink but not in excess. The plan is to get one of the AI drinks packages - one between two and share it - can anyone tell me if this would be managed easily or should we just get two and have done with it - same goes for the kids soft drink packages? could they share?

My other question is i have seen on some forum somewhere that someone managed to get a free upgrade, how is this possible? the room we have has drop down beds - will my children be ok in these or will it be me and hubby that sleep in them! we are eating at 6.00 each evening hopefully this should suit us with the children - anyone have any comments on that - finally the kids clubs - due to the kids ages will they be together at all, i know the age groups are separate but do they hang around in the same area, does anyone have and bad experiences of the kids clubs. thanks so much to everyone that responds - we really are looking forward to a holiday of a lifetime!!!

Buying one package for two people is like buying one ticket to see a show at a movie theater for two people. Can you do it, maybe. Is it right, NO.

Can you put the boys in the drop down beds, sure.

:D

the room we have has drop down beds - will my children be ok in these or will it be me and hubby that sleep in them! we are eating at 6.00 each evening hopefully this should suit us with the children - anyone have any comments on that - finally the kids clubs - due to the kids ages will they be together at all, i know the age groups are separate but do they hang around in the same area, does anyone have and bad experiences of the kids clubs. thanks so much to everyone that responds - we really are looking forward to a holiday of a lifetime!!!

We enjoyed two wonderful weeks on IOS last summer. Our children were 6 and 9 at the time.

The pullman beds are fine for the kids. Our kids loved them and had no difficulties getting up the ladders. I am not sure what the official age is for the beds.

We ate at 6 o'clock which was good for the kids. The dining room staff were great with the children and as soon as we sat down, would bring over fruit salad and milk while we looked at our menus. Then we ordered our meals and the selection the kids made were being brought to the table. At 6:45 the Adventure Ocean staff would then come down to the dining room to pick up the children who were going up to the activities (you need to arrange this). Our eldest was able to sign himself in and out of AO so would just go up himself. This allowed us to eat the rest of the meal (with our other guests) and then go to some of the theatre shows.

Our children loved AO. They were in separate groups which was fine. They both ended up making wee friends over the two weeks. The staff were super and really engaged with the kids. We actually had to beg our daughter not to go to the club some days so we could spend time with her! The different age ranges are located in the same area but don't tend to do activities together.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Unless you drink ALOT, the package will probably not pay for itself....you'll need to price it out to see if it's a "deal" or not! You say you're not big drinkers...you're probably better off buying "by the drink".

Unless you drink ALOT, the package will probably not pay for itself....you'll need to price it out to see if it's a "deal" or not! You say you're not big drinkers...you're probably better off buying "by the drink".

I agree with cb, my husband sometimes gets a soda card and he and my son share it. We probably break even in the end. There is so much available to you during your trip you can only consume so much. Have a great time, we were on that ship last year. Your kids (& you) are going to enjoy themselves.

I have a sneaking feeling that the drop-down bed would not be OK for a four-year-old!!

I do think you should phone Royal Caribbean and enquire as to the options.

You are NOT permitted to share the drinks cards. You may or may not get away with it. I would think that if it were

just very occasional, you would get away with it. But they may refuse and are within their rights.

Good advice.

If not big drinkers, just pay as you go.

thanks for all your replies they are really helpful for me - am slightly panicked about cruising, but sure it will be great!! i think we will buy one drinks package per couple and see how we go. I really dont mind not having a drink, would rather have soft drinks but if could manage to share then that would be a bonus! i notice that jjaazzy's husband and son share a soda package - would that be something my two sons could do with ease? or is it one each again!

if i say tips - do you all hate me, i need to know who to top and how much - i no they are not included thanks

Archived