Panyes Bay from Land - Snorkel Rentals and Availablility of Lockers?

WalleyeLJ

We'll be visiting in May and plan on taking the bus to Paynes Bay to swim out and see the turtles. Two questions since we won't be on a tour and won't have a car:

1) Is there a place to rent snorkel gear there if you decided not to bring your own on the cruise?

2) Is there any place to secure valuables - bags, cameras, etc?

Any help will be appreciated!

L.J.

We'll be visiting in May and plan on taking the bus to Paynes Bay to swim out and see the turtles. Two questions since we won't be on a tour and won't have a car:

1) Is there a place to rent snorkel gear there if you decided not to bring your own on the cruise?

2) Is there any place to secure valuables - bags, cameras, etc?

Any help will be appreciated!

L.J.

Hi LJ & Bev, my wife and I visited Paynes Bay a few weeks ago. I had planned to go by bus but while on our way to the bus terminal I received an offer of a taxi for $20. I wanted to reach the beach early so I accepted the offer. I was glad we went by taxi because the driver introduced me to 'Big Daddy' who runs a glass bottom boat. The cost for the boat trip was $20 pp which I thought was great value because the boat first visited the reef and shipwreck which was absolutely amazing, it was like swiming in a fish tank. We then travelled back to where the turtles gather. Again it was a marvellous experience with turtles feeding from food thrown from the boats moored at the site. I got to take some wonderful close up pictures of the turtles and even got to stroke one as it swum by. I took and used my own snorkel gear but gear was offered on the boat free of charge. I too had planned to swim out to the turtles but I'm glad I took the glass bottom boat option, well worth the money. Sorry don't known about any lockers, my wife stayed with our valuables while sunning herself:) We also hired two sunbeds and an umberalla for $25.

We joined up with another couple on the beach for a taxi returning to cruise port, we paid $15 per couple.

It was a wonderful day, the beach was lovely, the beach vendors were very friendly and helpful. I will definately visit Paynes Beach again in November 2011 when we visit Bardados again.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
Hi LJ & Bev, my wife and I visited Paynes Bay a few weeks ago. I had planned to go by bus but while on our way to the bus terminal I received an offer of a taxi for $20. I wanted to reach the beach early so I accepted the offer. I was glad we went by taxi because the driver introduced me to 'Big Daddy' who runs a glass bottom boat. The cost for the boat trip was $20 pp which I thought was great value because the boat first visited the reef and shipwreck which was absolutely amazing, it was like swiming in a fish tank. We then travelled back to where the turtles gather. Again it was a marvellous experience with turtles feeding from food thrown from the boats moored at the site. I got to take some wonderful close up pictures of the turtles and even got to stroke one as it swum by. I took and used my own snorkel gear but gear was offered on the boat free of charge. I too had planned to swim out to the turtles but I'm glad I took the glass bottom boat option, well worth the money. Sorry don't known about any lockers, my wife stayed with our valuables while sunning herself:) We also hired two sunbeds and an umberalla for $25.

We joined up with another couple on the beach for a taxi returning to cruise port, we paid $15 per couple.

It was a wonderful day, the beach was lovely, the beach vendors were very friendly and helpful. I will definately visit Paynes Beach again in November 2011 when we visit Bardados again.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Terry

Thanks Terry. How far from shore was it out to the turtles?

L.J.

Turtles are 75-100 yrds out from the beach. I don't think there are any lockers either. We had a group, so we felt safe leaving stuff on beach. There was a little place to get food with a bathroom. There are some hotels and other buildings there. Just not like an american beach with facilities we are used to having. People were friendly.

Thanks Terry. How far from shore was it out to the turtles?

L.J.

It is difficult to judge, I would guess about 100-150 yards. We could actually see the Turtles coming up to the surface for air while laying on our sunbeds.

Archived