Book Recommendations Needed!

ilovhywd

You've given me some great ideas. I'll look up the books on Amazon.com and see what appeals to me.

I posted this topic on both the Princess and Cunard message boards (since we are cruising on both the Crown Princess and Queen Victoria in May). The Princess moderator immediately moved my thread to "Floataway Lounge!" I had never even seen that board before!

Yes, the library on the QM2 is one of the very best, and I expect the QV to be the same. Unfortunately, the Crown Princess library is most disappointing. It is narrow and crowded and has only 6 or 8 uncomfortable chairs along a long, narrow desk. Hardly a place where one could read and relax. Perhaps because this is not a revenue-producing room, Princess does not allocate much space.

In contrast, the Holland America libraries are spacious and well-furnished, with comfy chairs, sofas, audio hookups, and jigsaw puzzle tables.

After 3 days with my new Kindle, I can honestly say that I am thrilled with my purchase. I've downloaded some sample chapters so that I can make good decisions about what to purchase. I think I might even get out of my comfort zone with some of the free downloads that are available.

I was wondering if those of you from England could recommend some British writers along the lines of Rosamunde Pilcher, Marcia Willett, and Maeve Binchey. I also enjoyed Penny Vincenzi - especially the 3 that had to be read in sequence.

This year, my favorities were the "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, "A Reliable Wife", "Cutting for Stone", "Winter Garden", "Ape House" and "The Invisible Bridge". Maybe I can give you some ideas, too!

I bought 2 books for my last for cruise (of 23 days!) - didn't finish either :eek:

"Perfect Man" by Sheila O'Flanagan - was, according to the review in the local paper, inspired by a P&O cruise & 1/2 of it is set on board a ship

Two very different sisters, Mia (still in love with Alejo, the married father of her daughter) and Britt (the ice maiden author of a romantic bestseller), join a luxury honeymoon cruise in the Caribbean where Britt is the guest lecturer.

it was entertaining enough, though a bit predictable

and

Stars, Staterooms and Stowaways: Anecdotes from a Colourful Life in Cruising by Gary Glading who was a cruise director on several lines.

..cruise director Gary Glading recalls some of the most memorable and hilarious incidents from his career on luxury cruise ships, a career that has lasted 24 years and taken him from the Arctic to the Antarctic and seen him circumnavigate the globe several times.

I actually forgot to take this one & though I picked it up on return, it wasn't quite the same as I had planned - reading it with the sea passing the window- I'm about 1/2 way through :)

I'm currently reading my way through the Gregory Maguire books - I might finish the series one day :D

You might enjoy books by these authors.

Veronica Henry,

Tasmina Perry,

Philippa Gregory,

Lesley Lokko,

Ken Follet.

I usually download a sample onto the Kindle and then decide what to buy.

Saying that nothing is more pleasurable than opening a brand new book.

Happy cruising and reading;)

Marlene

Always bring a couple of books just in case. And as my husband got a Kindle, when I recently purchased an IPad I got access to all his Kindle books which was great. I also bought The Help which others have mentioned and downloaded free books by Jane Austin and Emily Bronte....fun to read those and love not having to pay. Have just read the latest Maeve Binchy and liked it as I love all her books. For my upcoming cruise I think I'll bring along something by Knut Hamson since we will be going to Norway.

Recently i was looking for a book to put on my kindle when i stumbled across "Murder on the Med. As it happens I will be taking a Med cruise in a month and this was perfect. The book is available on your Kindle for just $2.99 This is the authors first book and it is a page turner - I didn't end up waiting till i cruised to read it though - but it helped me pass the time and i felt like i was already cruising-- it was as if i was on board helping to solve the crime -- Like all vacations, I was sorry this book ended. Lorice Shermans' next book is in the works - will take place in a Hawaiin setting and will be called Murder on Southshore. For $2.99 you will have hours of enjoyment. Tom

Archived