Book Recommendations Needed!

ilovhywd

Just bought my first Kindle in anticipation of lazy sea days and long plane flights!

Need book recommendations from fellow cruisers. (Please omit books featuring serial killers, body dismemberments, vampires and monsters).

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try to find these books by Sir James Bisset, Commodore of the Cunard White Star Line (1944–47): "Sail Ho! My Early Years at Sea" (1958), "Tramps and Ladies - My Early Years in Steamers" (1959), and "Commodore - War, Peace and Big Ships" (1961).

Great question! Just my personal opinion, but I love the library on QM2, so I don't download books to Kindle. The mystery section is my favorite while on a voyage.

May I suggest that you sample books by different authors as you sit in a comfortable chair overlooking the sea whilst in the QM2 Library. What genre are you interested in? -S.

My dh has become a Kindle addict. If you like biographies (auto or otherwise), he has read some good ones lately.

He is currently reading the 1st volume of Mark Twain's autobiography. Twain wrote it with the stipulation that it not be released until 100 years after his death. My husband is constantly reading parts of it to me. Interesting and funny.

I read the Stieg Larsson books, you know 'the girl who....' series. Very good reading...oh but there was a murderer in there so maybe not for you(?).

We brought our Kindle on our last TA, if you have a subscription to a newspaper...and you bring your PC, you can download the paper using the then into the kindle. My husband had to have his morning paper each day! Of course as you go west it gets there later and later in the day.

Once you're near land the 3G takes over and the paper downloads automatically, even in the middle of the Baltic Sea we got the paper!

Have fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just bought my first Kindle in anticipation of lazy sea days and long plane flights!

Need book recommendations from fellow cruisers. (Please omit books featuring serial killers, body dismemberments, vampires and monsters).

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Among my favourite authors and books, are Bernard Cornwell and the Sharpe series about a soldier with the Duke of Wellington through his campaigns in the Napoleonic era. (sounds a little dull but they are very good) and Tom Sharpe who is a very amusing author who writes on a variety of subjects and paints a great picture of his characters, I think his earlier books are better, he wrote a series about South Africa of which Riotous Assembly is a great example, not very PC in modern parlance but an absolute delightful, laugh out loud read. They should keep you busy but don't ignore the Hornblower books by C.S.Forester and Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. These are both books containing wonderful seafaring adventures in the days of press gangs and tall ships.

Try "Dancing Backwards" by Sally Vickers. It's mainly set on a fictional moder day transatlantic liner. The compaison with the QM2 is obvious and should make for a good read on board. Perhaps the author read these Boards for her inspiration.... You may even recognise some of the fictional characters!

Try "Dancing Backwards" by Sally Vickers. It's mainly set on a fictional moder day transatlantic liner. The compaison with the QM2 is obvious and should make for a good read on board. Perhaps the author read these Boards for her inspiration.... You may even recognise some of the fictional characters!

Sounds interesting - I just checked on Amazon (UK) this book is one of the many where the publishers have set the Kindle Price higher than the Paperback version.

This is a shocking attempt by publishers to get around the UK Retail Price Maintenance law, which applies to books and not e-books.

Many of the current best-seller paperbacks have higher Kindle prices!

Even cap'n Pugwash's latest Bernard Cornwell book - The Fort - is £2.00 (USD 3.00) more expensive in Kindle format than paperback

D

Sounds interesting - I just checked on Amazon (UK) this book is one of the many where the publishers have set the Kindle Price higher than the Paperback version.

This is a shocking attempt by publishers to get around the UK Retail Price Maintenance law, which applies to books and not e-books.

Many of the current best-seller paperbacks have higher Kindle prices!

Even cap'n Pugwash's latest Bernard Cornwell book - The Fort - is £2.00 (USD 3.00) more expensive in Kindle format than paperback

D

I don't own a kindle, would be too scared that if I had a nap it would slip gently to the floor like paperbacks do regularly but with more expensive consequences. I buy my books in audio format and listen to them on an ipod which is securely stashed in my pocket. There is not the sensual pleasure of reading but it is a good substitute.

I got my kindle for Christmas and love it. When I went away recently I randomly picked a few free downloads so that I could try something different to read perhaps you should try this.

I find that I read mainly 'Chick Lit' when I get the time so by down loading a few free books I was able to sample different authors and genre.

The last really good book I read (not including Jilly Cooper and Marian Keyes)was last summer and it was 'The Help' I thought the book was excellent and the characters were interesting and though some characters were not who I'd choose to be friends.

Enjoy your reading and your holiday.

I love my Kindle! If you like century-crossing saga's, try Edward Rutherfurd's New York: The Novel. He's being touted as "the new Michener," and I agree.

I also took advantage of the fact that many classics are free. I have recently enjoyed several I was forced to read in school but was way too immature to appreciate. A good example is Uncle Tom's Cabin, which had a lot more substance to it than I realized as a teenager.

Among my favourite authors and books, are Bernard Cornwell and the Sharpe series......

... and Tom Sharpe who is a very amusing author ......

.....don't ignore the Hornblower books by C.S.Forester and Aubrey–Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. These are both books containing wonderful seafaring adventures in the days of press gangs and tall ships.

Agree with all these and especially the seafaring novels of Patrick O'Brian. Once I had read 'Master & Commander' I was hooked, and then I read all twenty of his seafaring series. Absolutely brilliant.

The only books to give me (as an ex-soldier) equal pleasure were the highly amusing but extremely informative Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser.

Foxy

Just bought my second Kindle which is way neat. I'm a history buff and downloaded "Caesars' Wives" and the New York Times newspaper. I'm getting ready to board the QV in Ft. Lauderdale in just a few hours. I know that while at sea I won't be able to download but in ports I can. The new Kindle will allow one to have reception on Kindle in many foreign countries. I still lug books around though.

The last really good book I read (not including Jilly Cooper and Marian Keyes)was last summer and it was 'The Help' I thought the book was excellent and the characters were interesting and though some characters were not who I'd choose to be friends.

I was going to suggest that one too! I treated myslef to a kindle about 6 months ago and it goes everywhere with me. I've just down loaded all the books that I am going to read on my sea days on the QV Canaries trip in April. Mind you, I always seem to have plenty to do on sea days anyway, so I'm not sure when I'm going to fit the reading in ;) But at least I will be prepared :)

'The Help' was the first book I read on my Kindle. It is a great book, I really struggled to put it down at all. I read 'Dancing Backwards' when it was the book club book on our last cruise (pre Kindle). Again a really enjoyable read, especially on a cruise.

I am currently thinking about what to downlaod for my next cruise (9 1/2 weeks and counting), so I shall be looking at all the recommendations mentioned here.

Sarah

Highly Sociable and Camgirl seeing as you both enjoyed The Help can I ask which books you have chosen or are thinking of choosing.

For my next trip I am toying with the Room - Emma Donoghue, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- Rebecca Skloot both were recommended by Channel 4's book club and possibly a Martina Cole book mainly because I keep seeing the adverts for The Runaway which is due to be shown on Sky later this week and I have never read any of her books and I am trying to avoid 'Chick Lit' (only because I seem to read a vast amount of it).

I think with three books and Professor Layton's latest quest/puzzles on my DS I shall be all set for sea days on the Promenade deck.

MrsNobby,

I'm also a 'chick lit' reader in the main. I found The Help by chance when browsing books on Amazon. I have One Day by David Nicholls downloaded. It is supposed to be very good but I haven't tried it yet. I also have some Maeve Binchy novels waiting, but you either like her books or don't at all (I do).

I keep looking out for 'cruise themed' novels to buy for my cruise but have not found any yet apart from Dancing Backwards.

I will probably have several books to choose from and will end up with hardly any reading time - thats what usually happens! If I do get the chance I will probably be down on the steamer chairs on the prom deck of QV with my Kindle and my MP3 player playing quietly in my ears. In fact, if I get this far I will probably be snoring!!!

I will also be taking my DS - with Professor Layton of course!!

Sarah

I keep looking out for 'cruise themed' novels to buy for my cruise but have not found any yet apart from Dancing Backwards.

Camgirl

I haven't thought about this in years but it just popped into my head after reading your post. I'm not sure if this is still in print but 'The Cruise' is about a murder on P&O's Oriana's maiden cruise

I think it was commissioned by P&O but don't quote me on that, each chapter is written by a different author. Maeve Binchy, Bernard Cornwall, Joanna Trollope and I cant remember who else. It was printed in 1995 when the Oriana was launched.

I cant remember much about it except at that time I cruised a lot on the Oriana and it was quite fun to be in the actual public rooms that were mentioned in the book. I'm not sure what happened to my copy I hope I've got it somewhere.

Please forgive me for going slightly off topic, but I'm hoping that other passengers also enjoy the on-board library - if not, I'm worried that Cunard will decide to downsize or eliminate the library. While we take our Kindle on board, both Himself and I use the library on QM2 often. Considering the popularity of e-books and audio books, what is the future of libraries on cruise ships? -S.

Please forgive me for going slightly off topic, but I'm hoping that other passengers also enjoy the on-board library - if not, I'm worried that Cunard will decide to downsize or eliminate the library. While we take our Kindle on board, both Himself and I use the library on QM2 often. Considering the popularity of e-books and audio books, what is the future of libraries on cruise ships? -S.

To be absolutely honest, I have walked around the libraries but I never borrow books from there. I have also tried on several occasions to use reference books that they keep but the librarian has always been absent and the cupboards locked. They are a nice facility and it would be a shame if they were to disappear.

Agree with all these and especially the seafaring novels of Patrick O'Brian. Once I had read 'Master & Commander' I was hooked, and then I read all twenty of his seafaring series. Absolutely brilliant.

The only books to give me (as an ex-soldier) equal pleasure were the highly amusing but extremely informative Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser.

Foxy

Some wonderful suggestions here. Flashman novels are a great deal of fun.

If you want to read up on the North Atlantic and the history of the great steamships, there are a number of excellent books that would provide you with a better understanding of, and appreciation for the whole transatlantic crossing experience. "Transatlantic" by Stephen Fox, "The Sway of the Grand Saloon" by John Malcolm Brinnin, or "The Only Way To Cross" by John Maxtone Graham are all excellent reads, but plan on reading them before you sail. Once you are aboard you will find the expression "nothing to do and so little time to do it" describes perfectly life aboard ship on a transatlantic crossing. You won't believe how fast the time passes.

Foxy

If you want to read up on the North Atlantic and the history of the great steamships, there are a number of excellent books that would provide you with a better understanding of, and appreciation for the whole transatlantic crossing experience. "Transatlantic" by Stephen Fox, "The Sway of the Grand Saloon" by John Malcolm Brinnin, or "The Only Way To Cross" by John Maxtone Graham are all excellent reads, but plan on reading them before you sail. Once you are aboard you will find the expression "nothing to do and so little time to do it" describes perfectly life aboard ship on a transatlantic crossing. You won't believe how fast the time passes.

Foxy

Foxy

Archived