is the ncl credit card worth having?

vols_159

I know they give you 10,000 bonus points after you sign up and use the card but after that is it really that good? other credit cards have better reward programs?? someone tell me the pro or cons

I don't think so, not anymore. It used to be a lot easier to accumulate credits toward a cruise under the old compass rewards systems. Now it's pretty ridiculous. I got rid of mine.

thats what i was thinking i signed up on my cruise because they are giving up 10k bonus points which = 100 bucks but after that they give u 1 point for 1 dollar spend so i would have to spend another 10k before i gaine 100 bucks

using discover i get anywhere to 1% to 5% back

For us it's really been worth it. We accrued enough points over a period of six months to completely pay for our balcony cabin on our Epic cruise this summer. Everything goes on that card and we pay the balance in full every week, not just once a month.

Of course it doesn't hurt that my husband's travel expenses also go on the card...

My Mom uses it for everything, and just pays it off at the end of the month. She paid for the two upcoming family cruises with it for double points.

We have a ton of OBC because of it.

It's only really worth it, like other cards, if you pay it off every month.

I completely agree - the old card was much better, but that's gone now, so you have to work with what's available.

I kept my card - I do pay it off every month. I also shop through their store - alot. Many, many places give bonus points. I live in a small, isolated community and almost all my discretionary buying is on-line. For example, I ordered B-day flowers for my sister from FTD through the MC store and got 12 bonus points per dollar spent.

I use my points for cash back. It is a very quick and easy system - wait until you have at least 25,000 points and you'll get $250 back (1%). That is 1% of your points, so if you get lots of bonus points, it adds up quickly. My FTD purchase, for example, gave me a 13% discount.

To redeem for cash, you just go on line and click the level you want. I had a check within a week. I then apply it to my vacation spending account.

My only problem with it is it seems NCL is a little stingy on bonus points when you charge a cruise - they only give you 1 per dollar spent. Seems they could be a little more generous with that.

It is also a good idea to keep track of who you shopped through on the store and make sure they apply the bonus points. Per MC, it can take up to 2 months. I've had a couple of instances where the points did not appear and that is a royal pain to get fixed.

My only problem with it is it seems NCL is a little stingy on bonus points when you charge a cruise - they only give you 1 per dollar spent. Seems they could be a little more generous with that.

I thought they offered double points for every dollar spent on NCL? That's why I just got the card, so I could charge my cruise and get double points? :confused: hmmm....

I thought they offered double points for every dollar spent on NCL? That's why I just got the card, so I could charge my cruise and get double points? :confused: hmmm....

I thought the double points were given for expenses incurred while on the cruise that you pay for with your card.

I thought the double points were given for expenses incurred while on the cruise that you pay for with your card.
Yes, you get double points (2 instead of 1 per dollar) for charges to NCL. Booking deposit, final payment and shipboard account.

If you use your card ashore it's single points only. (There may also be a foreign transaction fee.)

Charlie

I might not be the best at explaining things, but I'll try :)

NCL gives one point for every dollar you charge on your card, regardless of the vendor. The grocery store, gas, everything.

They then give bonus points for various things, so you get your initial point, plus bonus points.

For every dollar you spend through NCL, you get one bonus point. If you book a cruise, you will get one initial point, plus one bonus point, or 2 points per dollar spent. It is not just for expenses occuring on a cruise, it is any monies spent through NCL. I just booked a cruise and got my points. These appear immediately on your statement.

They also have an on-line store with a large number of vendors selling just about everything. These stores give a variety of bonus point levels, from one bonus point per dollar, and I've seen up to 16. OR - they may give you a set number of points per purchase - this is usually for some kind of subscription. The way these occur is you'll see your initial point immediately on your statement, then sometime within the next 2 months, extra points will appear on your statement with the vendor's name and the word "bonus".

If you are unfamiliar with the system, I suggest going to your on-line statement and take a look around the tab labeled "Rewards".

I might not be the best at explaining things, but I'll try :)

NCL gives one point for every dollar you charge on your card, regardless of the vendor. The grocery store, gas, everything.

They then give bonus points for various things, so you get your initial point, plus bonus points.

For every dollar you spend through NCL, you get one bonus point. If you book a cruise, you will get one initial point, plus one bonus point, or 2 points per dollar spent. It is not just for expenses occuring on a cruise, it is any monies spent through NCL. I just booked a cruise and got my points. These appear immediately on your statement.

They also have an on-line store with a large number of vendors selling just about everything. These stores give a variety of bonus point levels, from one bonus point per dollar, and I've seen up to 16. OR - they may give you a set number of points per purchase - this is usually for some kind of subscription. The way these occur is you'll see your initial point immediately on your statement, then sometime within the next 2 months, extra points will appear on your statement with the vendor's name and the word "bonus".

If you are unfamiliar with the system, I suggest going to your on-line statement and take a look around the tab labeled "Rewards".

Where do you find the store. I also use my card for everything and would love an opportunity to earn even more for my cruise next April. I went for almost nothing in November because of the card!

On your on-line account, click on the following tabs:

Rewards

Learn how to earn more points faster

Start Shopping

It's called the Worldpoints Mall

I do 90% of my on-line shopping through the store. Almost all my gift buying, etc.

I know they give you 10,000 bonus points after you sign up and use the card but after that is it really that good? other credit cards have better reward programs?? someone tell me the pro or cons

When it comes to points and credit cards you need to keep it to only one possibly two in order to make it worth your while.

I too agreed that the NCL card (old days) was a good one except it wasn't available to Canadians.

We use Amex as main card because we can accumulate a lot of points and almost always get our flights free via Air Canada because we have high monthly med. costs. Then we have a visa gold that is linked to same Air Canada acct. because not all business except Amex both here and abroad.

On your on-line account, click on the following tabs:

Rewards

Learn how to earn more points faster

Start Shopping

It's called the Worldpoints Mall

I do 90% of my on-line shopping through the store. Almost all my gift buying, etc.

Thanks! I am so excited...just earned my first non NCL bonus points..watch out world!;)

I got the NCL World Points card a couple of years ago and used it to pay for our NCL cruises and onboard accounts. I was happy, until.... I realized that if I book with the Amex and pay for the cruise with that, I get $300 OBC. We book suites and an average weeks cruise for us is $5000, that's 10,000 points which is worth $100 in OBC. Why would I use the NCL card for $100 when I can use the Amex and get $300. I am now rethinking my use of the NCL card.

Since they changed the program and reduced the rewards, it's easy to find comparable or better cards out there. The only reason I've kept mine is they offer a "shop safe" program on-line that masks your number when making internet purchases. It provides a nice security benefit when doing on-line shopping. Which, is all I use it for now. I have other cards that offer better rewards I use most of the time.

Yes, if you use it right. By that I mean paying it off each month. It may not be as good as in the years past (what is?) but we are enjoying ours. Except for gas, because we get a good discount by using a particular card, we only use the NCL card and our Discover card. They give us the best.

Nita

Archived