I felt like a criminal!

John&John

During security screening last week for our Liberty cruise the security agent at the cruise terminal in Miami inspected my carry on bag for alcohol.

I had two 6 packs of plastic Coke bottles and 1 bottle of wine. She inspected every single bottle of Coke to make sure it was Coke and took out the wine and checked to make sure it was not re-corked!

I also saw them confiscate a 3 liter box of wine from someone who tried to carry it on in their bag.

I would never be so foolish to carry on my 3 liter box of wine or my 3 small rum runners if I had those things! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the post! Glad to hear that Carnival is enforcing the rules!

From what you wrote, it seems like they conducted their random search in a professional matter. I was waiting to read what it was that made you feel like a criminal...

From what you wrote, it seems like they conducted their random search in a professional matter. I was waiting to read what it was that made you feel like a criminal...

perhaps a guilty conscience from having the rum runner in his suitcase??? :)

No...they shake them to see if the liquid reacts like soda or alcohol.

I cruised out of Galveston 3 times last year and carried on cans of diet Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper and bottles of water all three times.

The third trip, we had a few cans of Red Bull (no regular Dr. Pepper that time). We were pulled aside and they went through the bag with the drinks. Shook all 6 bottles of water and watched the bubbles.

No contraband for us, so we just packed it back up and continued on our way.

Yep that is what it was. Our friendswere randomly picked out on our last cruise. Their rumrunners were safely packed in their checked luggage.

They don't shake them violently. In fact they probably shake more in your carry on from normal movement than when they just give them a quick shake. Seems that my sodas always get a little shake from security. I didn't really know that it would bubble differently if it wasn't soda.

On our Legend cruise as we were going through the security the agent was unzipping our carry on when I leaned over to kind of help him and he looked me right in the face and told me to take my hands off the case! I was kind of embarrassed because I really just wanted to help him, and he did go through our suitcase, we had orange juice for the vodka that I ordered through BV and he made sure that alll the labels were sealed and then proceeded to check the wine very carefully. The checking of the liquids didn't bother me but getting barked at was a bummer.

They don't shake them violently. In fact they probably shake more in your carry on from normal movement than when they just give them a quick shake. Seems that my sodas always get a little shake from security. I didn't really know that it would bubble differently if it wasn't soda.

Soda is carbinated, that causes the bubbles when shook. Booze isn't, so no bubbles when shook.

Andy.

That's still kinda irritating, shaking can make the cokes flat :(

Nah..that's a myth. The container is sealed, so as long as you don't open it and allow the gas to escape then CO2 will stay in solution. Otherwise all soda would be flat by the time it made it to the store after the bouncing around on a truck, in the store, etc.

Soda is carbinated, that causes the bubbles when shook. Booze isn't, so no bubbles when shook.

Andy.

I found out this interesting tidbit. Shake a bottle of water and then shake a bottle of rum. Check out the bubbles left in the rum versus the water.

Signed Nancy (not Bill Nye the Science Guy) :o

Just wondered - why are they so against bringing some booze on board, but wine/pop/water are all allowed?? If you bring any of the items on board, you are keeping the cruiseline from making some additional money - so why is booze (and I assume beer), the only target??

Does the OP really feel like a criminal, or was he being facetious? Why would anyone complain about having bags inspected for compliance with Carnival's carry-on policy. I really don't care one way or the other whether people bring on more than their contracted carry-on allowance. But I wouldn't complain about Carnival actually inspecting so they can enforce their own policies.

Andy.

So that explains why they shake my bottles of water too:confused::rolleyes: It is common for security to inspect liquids in carryons. I don't feel like a criminal but it sure slows down the line when they have to individually shake all your bottles of water. Isn't it easier to just look and see if the seal is broken? I have carried on a box of wine before and they it right thru.

During security screening last week for our Liberty cruise the security agent at the cruise terminal in Miami inspected my carry on bag for alcohol.

I had two 6 packs of plastic Coke bottles and 1 bottle of wine. She inspected every single bottle of Coke to make sure it was Coke and took out the wine and checked to make sure it was not re-corked!

I also saw them confiscate a 3 liter box of wine from someone who tried to carry it on in their bag.

I would never be so foolish to carry on my 3 liter box of wine or my 3 small rum runners if I had those things! :rolleyes:

Still don't see anything that made you feel like a criminal.

Archived