I felt like a criminal!

John&John

Just wondered - why are they so against bringing some booze on board, but wine/pop/water are all allowed?? If you bring any of the items on board, you are keeping the cruiseline from making some additional money - so why is booze (and I assume beer), the only target??

Do the math. One bottle of wine = maybe 4 glasses. When they sell wine by the glass they hope to make enough on the first to pay for the bottle. Maybe they will, maybe people will get a glass from an already opened bottle and ask to have a new bottle opened or complain it's gone bad. What does a bottle cost them in lost sales? Not that much.

One bottle of booze = about 15 drinks and much higher profit. Nobody asks for "fresh" vodka. A bottle of liquor could easily mean $100 to the ship. Multiply that times the number of passengers.

Wine can go bad in storage. Vodka doesn't. They pay about 50 cents for a 16oz bottle of Bud and sell it for about 10x that. You bring on a 12 pack and you just cost them ~$50.

Does the OP really feel like a criminal, or was he being facetious? Why would anyone complain about having bags inspected for compliance with Carnival's carry-on policy. I really don't care one way or the other whether people bring on more than their contracted carry-on allowance. But I wouldn't complain about Carnival actually inspecting so they can enforce their own policies.

I was wondering the same. It's no different than a pat down by airport security. If you haven't done anything wrong there's no reason to feel like a criminal. They're just doing their job.

On our last cruise people we were cursing with took a 18 pack of bottle water

In the center of the pack he filled them with vodka

Going thru security they did not check our water

They did check his

When asked if he has booze in them he said yes. 4 bottles

They checked thru shaking he had four

They let him thru with something like he was honest

This was in Miami

So what happens when you mix rum with your coke in a coke bottle and re-seal it? Bubbles?

So, you're going to put a whole new cap/ring assembly on the bottle, with the seal intact....where is you're assembly plant?

They opened my box on my Liberty cruise in January.

Interesting. I was about to ask if that has happened before. My friends back in 2006 bought a 12 pack of 12 oz bottle cokes and carefully opened the cardboard. Replaced coke with a Dark rum and tequila then resealed the package perfectly with super glue. No problems at all. I was wondering if they would now open them up and look at the bottles.

I used to bring booze on board but now its just so easy and worth the extra cost to have it done by Bon Voyage. the 15 dollars I'd save isn't worth the embarrassment or risking the bottles break.

On our last cruise people we were cursing with took a 18 pack of bottle water

In the center of the pack he filled them with vodka

Going thru security they did not check our water

They did check his

When asked if he has booze in them he said yes. 4 bottles

They checked thru shaking he had four

They let him thru with something like he was honest

This was in Miami

You were "cursing" with a group of people?

:p

I found out this interesting tidbit. Shake a bottle of water and then shake a bottle of rum. Check out the bubbles left in the rum versus the water.

Signed Nancy (not Bill Nye the Science Guy) :o

Yes, that's how I got caught. I stayed in a hotel for a night before our cruise last year. This was our fifth cruise, I'm not a big drinker, and had never before tried to sneak on alcohol. While we were at our hotel, we went shopping a picked up a small bottle of vodka. I had one drink by the pool. The next morning when we got ready to leave, for some stupid reason I decided to take my empty water bottle (500 ml) and fill it with the vodka. Well sure enough the security asks if we have any open alcohol and we say No. She shook the bottle and it filled with bubbles. I was sooo embarassed and I was scared too at first. They took me to a room and I had to sign something saying they took my alcohol and emptied it. I will NEVER again try to smuggle booze onto a cruise.

I found out this interesting tidbit. Shake a bottle of water and then shake a bottle of rum. Check out the bubbles left in the rum versus the water.

Signed Nancy (not Bill Nye the Science Guy) :o

Larger the bubbles and the quicker they pop the higher the proof. Large bubbles that disappear almost instantly is about 150 proof while bubbles like what you get pouring sprite means its about 90.

Source(s):

History Channel, Boot-leggers and moonshiners

On my 1st cruise 3 years ago, they checked my water bottles to make sure the seals weren't broken. I have never been checked again.

They are either doing random checks or the security guards are new and look for anything and everything.

Maybe cans would be less of a problem, but then I wonder if they would open the box?

We were on Destiny earlier this month. Two of our three carry-ons had a 12 pack of canned pop in them. Both bags were opened and inspected. The cardboard packaging was opened on both ends and a few cans removed to see what what in the center, then repacked and on our way. (She checked my zippered bag of toiletries too.)

Peg

Last Jan for our Liberty Cruise

we too picked up some things, SIL didn't drink the whole 6 pack, and no one helped him so I tossed the extras (4) in the roll on with the soda pop, no real rhyme or reason about them, but they must have been mid way or lower, the guard didn't ask, or I would have had to tell the truth, he pulled out a few root beer, and orange cans, and let us on our way.

Now having an 8 year old with us, might have made the difference. Just thinking he was probably thinking the soda was for him. And it was kind of, we like to have Root Beer or Orange Cream Floats, at home and on a cruise ;)

Well, I plan on bringing on some sodas, looks like I will have to deal with them opening up my soda cartons. Do they seal the carton back up for you? I have mine already packed and inside a plastic bag just in case one of them is busted, gues they will cut that and open up the cartons........Not too bad if they seal it back up so they won't be rolling everywhere

We just got off the Glory on Sunday. We brought on 12pk of coke, a case of water and 2 bottles of wine. They were more concerned with the water than anything else. They shook that the most and didn't really bother with the other stuff.

Well, what has been the experience of some of you recent cruisers. Have you noticed it taking a lot longer to get through security on Embarkation Day. Bound to take a while longer if they are searching through bags, shaking everyones water, or opening up everyones soda cartons?:cool:

During security screening last week for our Liberty cruise the security agent at the cruise terminal in Miami inspected my carry on bag for alcohol.

I had two 6 packs of plastic Coke bottles and 1 bottle of wine. She inspected every single bottle of Coke to make sure it was Coke and took out the wine and checked to make sure it was not re-corked!

I also saw them confiscate a 3 liter box of wine from someone who tried to carry it on in their bag.

I would never be so foolish to carry on my 3 liter box of wine or my 3 small rum runners if I had those things! :rolleyes:

i'd be embarrased to be found anywhere with a box of wine.

Archived