NCL Paradise Point - heads up for those with young kids

cp1824

Once again, this is when the excursion has already set their safety guidelines via age and/or minimum weight/height and NCL changes them and imposes their own views.

On multiple excursions that we have booked direct because NCL states their is an age limit there have been special safety precautions for the younger kids. It is up to the parent whether with these precautions it is right for their children- not NCL!

My children are excellent swimmers, but I know to still watch them and have them wear life vests- and if they are allowed to go cave tubing through booking direct and they allow our children to be on our laps or on their own tubes depending on the parents knowledge of their child's capabilities why would NCL say no one under age 10? Not saying that this is the ideal excursion for us, but my 8 year old nephew would LOVE it and NCL is taking that decision into their own hands.

One example for us personally, is in Alaska we are able to do small individual boat tour. My kids are on speed boats all the time.

The NCL legal department would like to have a word with you.

NCL took you to this port. NCL is selling you the ticket to the excursion. If something happens to a child while on an excursion, guess who is second in line to get sued: NCL. Therefore, NCL has decided that it will set its own age guidelines, hoping to eliminate potential dangers that it believes exists for children under a certain age. You don't like it? Don't buy the ticket or don't cruise with NCL. Not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

As for selling the tickets that were inevitably free, has anyone here ever heard of capitalism? Why does my grocery store charge me for bottles of water when I can get the same thing out of my faucet for pennies?

The NCL legal department would like to have a word with you.

NCL took you to this port. NCL is selling you the ticket to the excursion. If something happens to a child while on an excursion, guess who is second in line to get sued: NCL. Therefore, NCL has decided that it will set its own age guidelines, hoping to eliminate potential dangers that it believes exists for children under a certain age. You don't like it? Don't buy the ticket or don't cruise with NCL. Not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

As for selling the tickets that were inevitably free, has anyone here ever heard of capitalism? Why does my grocery store charge me for bottles of water when I can get the same thing out of my faucet for pennies?

Isn't interesting how quickly you think about the term 'sued'- great... you are either one of the sue happy people or one that is overly paranoid that has made even simple pleasures we once had as children a lawsuit waiting to happen.:eek:

I guess I should talk to the legal department, as on my last cruise I had a fall that injured my ankle (because of NCL negligence) and was treated on the ship by their doctor, am still being treated by my doctor (and paying my own bills at home- can you believe it.... in case you didn't catch the sarcasm there....she says sarcastically). I lost several days of my family vacation being unable to walk and having to keep all weight off of my ankle, have it elevated, with ice and taking meds and NO I haven't contacted legal...but maybe that's why they want to talk to me, hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up......

Isn't interesting how quickly you think about the term 'sued'- great... you are either one of the sue happy people or one that is overly paranoid that has made even simple pleasures we once had as children a lawsuit waiting to happen.:eek:

I guess I should talk to the legal department, as on my last cruise I had a fall that injured my ankle (because of NCL negligence) and was treated on the ship by their doctor, am still being treated by my doctor (and paying my own bills at home- can you believe it.... in case you didn't catch the sarcasm there....she says sarcastically). I lost several days of my family vacation being unable to walk and having to keep all weight off of my ankle, have it elevated, with ice and taking meds and NO I haven't contacted legal...but maybe that's why they want to talk to me, hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up......

Obviously you missed the point, and the fact that you went straight to sarcasm indicates that you had no response to the facts that I laid out for you.

sorry you were injored and it was NCLs fault. As for the charges, I assume NCL didn't charge you anything to treat you and I would think your cruise insurance would pay the additional charges.

Now, as for the comments about who can decide what your child is able to handle: yes, you as a parent know your kids better than anyone, but the cruise lines, like any company has to have guidelines. You may not like them, but I totally understand.

Nita

What's amusing in this thread is that the people who have bought this excursion through NCL did so because it was cheaper than buying from the vendor, due to volume discounts that NCL gets.

So it's NOT robbery for the guest to accept a LOWER price than the vendor would have charged them, but it IS robbery for the cruiseline to charge for every ticket, regardless of whether the vendor would have?

Double-standard much?

I really hope that was a joke. Robbery? Who said anything about that- Sensational much? And please do not kid yourself-NCL gets volume discount, but still is making a profit on each adult ticket. Result- Win for the consumer, Win for the company. I don't think ANYONE has problem with that one. NCL charges for something that is free---where is the win for the consumer on that one? Definitely NOT a double standard, a simple case of right (as in first case), and wrong.

OP, did you check back with the desk and what did they tell you? Yes, when any tour, regardless of what type is purchased via a 3rd party there will be extra charges. That being said, I think the fact that you brought it to the attention of others is a good thing. What causes the hostility here and I would think others would realize this is: you could have gotten your point across by simply mentioning there should be no charge for kids under a certain age. You didn't have to add the attack on NCL.

Nita

For the record, not only did we get a refund for our children's tickets, but NCL went through EVERY TICKET SOLD for children under the age limit, and refunded their money as well. And now changed their policy to not charge children anymore for this excursion.

We spoke to the excursion manager (who said he'd been there himself that day), and he said, "oh, I was unaware they're under new ownership and the prices changed. We were like, "bull*****, you don't know what your vendors are doing? That's embarrassing for NCL, really?" It wasn't about the money, it was the principal. $20 is a lot of money for some people! We took a picture of the price board and showed him. He was quite contrite after that, and that's when he agreed to go through EVERY child's ticket sold and refund their money.

We get that excursions on NCL are less expensive if you book on shore, but they were charging for something that didn't exist. THAT is a ripoff.

So I'm glad we initiated a change that benefits ALL future pax on NCL. :)

For the record, not only did we get a refund for our children's tickets, but NCL went through EVERY TICKET SOLD for children under the age limit, and refunded their money as well. And now changed their policy to not charge children anymore for this excursion.

We spoke to the excursion manager (who said he'd been there himself that day), and he said, "oh, I was unaware they're under new ownership and the prices changed. We were like, "bull*****, you don't know what your vendors are doing? That's embarrassing for NCL, really?" It wasn't about the money, it was the principal. $20 is a lot of money for some people! We took a picture of the price board and showed him. He was quite contrite after that, and that's when he agreed to go through EVERY child's ticket sold and refund their money.

We get that excursions on NCL are less expensive if you book on shore, but they were charging for something that didn't exist. THAT is a ripoff.

Thanks for posting the update and for making a positive change. I didn't catch that you were still on the ship so I am glad to see the issue was resolved.

I have always believed that every company will have problems, it is how they deal with the problems that is a true measure of their worth. We have been so fortunate that whenever we have encountered issues(few and small thank God!) NCL has always seems to want to make things right.

thanks so mcuh for the update.

Nita

Archived