Do Kids get sea sick on the ship?

txcruise75

Silly question, but I know adults can use the prescription patch or Dramamine, but what about kids? I saw an ad for Sea Bands and wasnt sure if I needed to get them just in case. Do kids get motion sickness as much as adults?

Kids like adults are/can be sensitive to motion, and unlike adults medication can be more restrictive, YMMV.

Sea bands, ginger, dramamine etc. have varying effectiveness depending on the individual.

Silly question, but I know adults can use the prescription patch or Dramamine, but what about kids? I saw an ad for Sea Bands and wasnt sure if I needed to get them just in case. Do kids get motion sickness as much as adults?

If they like ginger you can get candied dry ginger at Trader Joe's or Whole Food type stores. It works really well (which is why Mom used to give is Ginger-Ale when we had upset tummies as kids!):p

on our Baltic cruise the seas were really rough crossing the UK. I had never been sea sick before but on that night (it only happened one time) I felt very sick. Our son, who at the time was 18 months, did not seem to be bothered by it at all. Not sure why, but he was fine never once cried, vomited or anything like that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your child has had motion sickness issues in the past. We have cruised with our kids, including in rough seas, with no issues. I have seen motion sickness treatments on cruise ships in the stores - I'm not sure what they have for kids though. If you are really worried about it, I would bring a preventative just in case, but you will likely (hopefully) not need it.

My husband and I don't get sick but my girlfriend does. She gets a motion sickness patch from her doctor and wears it every day. You could always get something from their Dr., just in case.

I'm not sure if the ship's Dr. will charge you for an office call if you go there for motion sickness meds. So I'd rather have my own with me.

I was 14 the first time I cruised and even though the seas were pretty mild I was pretty seasick the first night, so much so that I skipped dinner and went right to bed. The next day I took non-drowsy Dramamine and developed my sealegs and was fine.

I can't remember if I ended up taking the meds all the way through (it was only a 4 night cruise) -- it was 20 years ago.

on our Baltic cruise the seas were really rough crossing the UK. I had never been sea sick before but on that night (it only happened one time) I felt very sick. Our son, who at the time was 18 months, did not seem to be bothered by it at all. Not sure why, but he was fine never once cried, vomited or anything like that.

I had a similar experience cruising north of the Arctic Circle on a Norweigian fjords cruise. The seas were so rough that even much of the staff was down for the count. All three of the adults in our cabin were green and doing what we could to just survive it. My daughter, who was 14 months and just learning to toddle around absolutely LOVED it. The ship was tilting this way and that and she would just kind of go with it, her little legs scrambling to keep up so that she could get to the next vertical surface to hold onto. She giggled and laughed while the adults groaned and moaned!

This will be the kids first cruise. I am not worried about DS10 getting sea sick but am worried that DD12 who sometimes gets car sick though can read while riding without issue. I got them sea bandz (can't get one without the other) and figure even if it works as a placebo effect it is worth the cost.

Archived