pregnant wife?

You might need a letter from the OB-GYN stating it it OK with him/her that your wife cruise. I believe RCCL's cut off date is 27 weeks. Personally, I wouldn't want to be cruising at 26 weeks. Having been pregnanat (grin), and being a RN, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the Ocean or on an Island in case a medical issue arose with the pregnancy. How does your wife feel about it?

I am pretty easy going and actually gave birth to son #2 while living in Mexico City, but I was living THERE and knew my MD and the hospital. I just think it's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take with my unborn child.

Rose

Cruise lines are pretty strict about that requirement. It is a liability concern. What if for some unforeseen reason a pregnant woman goes into early labor and delivers or has complications? Facilities on board are not geared to treat that kind of situation and medical care in any of the countries that you might be med-evaced to are usually not up to US standards. I, too, am a nurse and cringe at the thought of someone more than 26 weeks cruising - even if you are having a normal and trouble-free pregnancy.

I have to agree! I'm not even sure I'd want to cruise at 26 weeks. There's just too many possibilities of problems. I think I'd either wait until after the baby was born and rebook, or book a nice resort with hospital facilities not too far away.

Anne

You have to keep in mind too that even healthy pregnancies can become high-risk at any moment. I was expecting our first baby and was as healthy as a horse, no problems whatsoever. Then, one day when I was 25 weeks, I began pre-term labor - totally out of the blue. I spent the rest of my pregnancy on bed rest, and I would have freaked out if that happened to me while I was on the ship and away from my OB/GYN and my hospital.

However, you have to do what you think is best. This is just what happened to me.

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the Ocean or on an Island in case a medical issue arose with the pregnancy. Rose

I cruised at 24 weeks, and the pregnancy up until that point was completely normal. I had some complications onboard, and the ship's dr was not equiped to deal with the problems - neither in terms of his experience nor equipment. I did spend the remainder of the pregnancy on bedrest, and once I got home, the emergency room doctors were appalled at what the ship's dr had done. It could have had very serious repercussions, but fortunately we were OK. I would never cruise pregnant again.

I've been delivering babies for over 25 years and I would have no reservations signing a release form for any of my healthly patients who wanted to cruise before the 28th week of pregnancy.

The risks of problems showing up at this point in a otherwise normal pregnancy is extremely low.

Every cruise I have ever been on has been at least a quarter filled with people I would think were at risk of a health emergency, yet this doesn't keep them from taking a lovely, relaxing vacation.

My wife cruised while 25 weeks with no problems. We faxed in an approval from the OB as stated in the RCCL policy. No one asked any questions on the cruise and we saw lots of other pregnant women on the cruise with us.

Also, we would not hesitate to do it again as long as it was discussed with the OB before and we all agreed it was ok.

I cruised in Oct. Delivered on Jan 8. I even climbed Dunns River falls in my two piece swimsuit in all my pregnant glory.

I took a note from ob/gyn but did not need it.

Took my baby back this Sept. It was easier to cruise preggo than with 2 older children and the baby.

Last year while I was on the Voyager of the Seas in March, a woman gave birth the night we set sail. I don't think she was full term. The ship had to turn around and go back to Miami to meet up with another boat to bring the baby and Mom to the hospital. Mom was doing ok but baby wasn't. I don't think I'd risk going on a ship after their policy date. They write policies for a reason.

DW and I were airlifted off of a ship when she was 22 weeks for a UTI. Do not take the risk, please stay home and be safe. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 12/31/05

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

RCI - 2 times

Princess - 3 times

QE2 - 1 time

Royal Majesty - 1 time

Carnival - 1 time

Why would you want to take the risk? I can't imagine any vacation being enough to endanger your wife or unborn child. Whether or not your wife and child are healthy at 26 weeks, any number of unforseen problems can occur. What would you do if your wife slipped on a wet deck and had internal problems or back problems. What if your wife ate something on board that caused an unforseen allergic reaction for the child? What if your wife went into premature labor? I could go on, but many unusual things can happen even when the baby is carrying normally.

And the staff on board the ships are independent contractors and RCI does not oversee them. They can be hit-or-miss. Many are extremely competent health care professionals but some are not. Would you want to risk your wife or newborn with someone who wasn't competent? At least with hospitals, there is at least a backup physician on duty in case someone isn't competent. And even if you get a competent physician, what if they don't have the resources to take care of your particular problem? It can sometimes take hours to get a helicopter for an airlift or to get close enough to a port for an emergency craft to meet the ship. I know that any of this could happen to a normal adult, but the dangers to an unborn/newborn and a pregnant woman are greater than to normal adults and the cruise ships are not always equipped to handle those types of emergencies.

So, why would you possibly want to risk it? You should just reschedule the vacation until sometime after the birth. It will be much safer. I personally couldn't imagine taking my wife and or unborn child into situations where I wasn't sure of the medical contingencies unless I absolutely had to.

derf5585 titled her post: "Is it safe to get pregnant on a cruise?"

Hmmmm....IS it safe to GET pregnant on a cruise? Now I'm not sure. But if not, do I need to go on the pill? We really hate...um...those "things" he's supposed to wear (not sure I'm supposed to say the name on this board?) Perhaps my husband and I should get separate cabins, so as to aviod temptation. Or, we could just make a point of getting REEEEALLY drunk every night, so we're essentially incapable. But on the other hand, that might not work, and then we won't even remember in the morning...

Oh my, so MANY things to worry about on a cruise, this is just one more...

:D :D :D

LeeAnne

I'm with the group that suggests that you reschedule. I am currently 24 weeks along and would never cruise now. In fact, the cruise referred to on my countdown clock has been cancelled due to this pregnancy (but I'd be too far along to go anyway).

I know that the cruise line says that they've got licenced medical personnel onboard, but who's to say where they're trained and licensed? As I said to DH, "I don't want some witch doctor to be the one to provide medical care if something should happen while we were cruising during pregnancy."

What are all of your opinions of cruising at 14 weeks pregnant? I am already booked on Jewel Of the Seas for 4/9 and I know I badly need this vacation with DH. I know I can't do most of the excursions but thought the R&R would do my a world of good.

stefboyardee -

If you are feeling okay, I think you should be fine sailing at 14 weeks.

I was married on board the Jewel of the Seas back in February. My sister

was a little more than three months pregnant and had no problems. Well,

the bridesmaids dress didn't exactly fit her :eek: , but other than that all was

well. No seasickness or anything. Of course, she cleared it with her doctor first. vbmenu_register("postmenu_3283513", true);

I guess that I will go against most and say that I would have totally cruised up until the cut off that the cruise company sets. I of course would have gotten permission from my OB and I have no doubt that she would have given it to me.

You wife will either be 26 weeks or not - It shouldn't be that hard to figure out :) . I don't think that I would lie about it so if she is going to be 26 weeks or less than I would not hesitate to go. That's just my opinion having just given birth to my first son!

You Go rrkky!!!

Archived