Accommodations at Denali national Park

claxton1

My family and I are going on the carnival spirit June 15. We will arrive in Anchorage Alaska June 22 and will have two days to see a small part of Denali national Park. We plan on renting a car and driving the morning we get off the cruise ship. My question is, will it be worth going if we only have two days. Also does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay near the park if we go. Thanks.

My wife and I are doing it this way:

car in Anchorage. Drive to Denali. overnite 2 nites at the Touch of Wilderness bed and breakfast inn. (touchofwildernessbb.com) tundra wilderness bus tour, cabin nite dinner theater, am rafting trip (Wilderness float trip) then drive back towards Anchorage.

where do you get the wilderness bus tour? we are doing the same thing..driving to touch of wildnerness for 2 nights

The tundra wilderness tour can be purchased through the park concessionaire. Check the Denali NP web site and click on the link to book shuttle & tour reservations. That will give you the telephone number to call. However, you should strongly consider taking the shuttle to Fish Creek instead. It takes you further than the the tundra wilderness tour (and into good bear viewing area)... all shuttles/tours go on the same road and the only question is distance = wildlife and topography. The shuttle is a fraction of the cost, lets you pick exactly what time you want (as early as possible is best), it doesn't guarantee commentary but nobody here has ever found the shuttle commentary lacking and some found it better than their tundra wilderness tour, and doesn't come with the tour's lunch ... but the lunch is minimal and inedible, so you'll need to bring in food anyway.

I too, with INDEPENDENT touring , never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour, take the SHUTTLE instead, for 1/3 the cost. You do need more than 2 days however, and especially if these include travel days, you don't have enough time.

We drove from Seward to Denali and spent 2 nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn. (We didn't find the drive to be too long for one day). It is about 10 minutes past the entrance to the park on a remote little lake. The room was large with television, recliner, small table and chairs, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub, private entrance, and a deck. There was a microwave, refrig. stocked with breakfast supplies. We really enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere. We bought Subway the night before and took an early morning shuttle to Eilson. Defintely worth it!!!!! There is an excellent restaurant called the Black Diamond Grill that you have to drive past to get to the Lakeview Inn. It was the best food we ate on our entire 2 week trip - including the cruise! The only thing I would have skipped was the Cabin-Nite dinner theater. Kind of hokey and we were tired by the end of the trip and wished we had just relaxed on our deck and eaten at the Black Diamond again.

Thanks for the tip...I made a reservation for the shuttle (like you said it goes in further) and I made it for the first shuttle time. Are these shuttles like school buses? Are they comfortable ....I am considered that our butts will really be hurting after 8 hours on a bus. How is the kennel tour...do you get to get up close and pet the puppies?

Thanks for the tip...I made a reservation for the shuttle (like you said it goes in further) and I made it for the first shuttle time. Are these shuttles like school buses? Are they comfortable ....I am considered that our butts will really be hurting after 8 hours on a bus. How is the kennel tour...do you get to get up close and pet the puppies?

Yes a school bus. The puppies are not usually out?? (at least the times I have been there?) , but can be viewed. The dogs are open to contact.

We are going to be in the Denali area and wish to kow o the RV parks there.

If I got this right, get a shuttle bus to the farthest point at late May that they go. Bring lunch.

How much is the shuttle bus? Book with the park? what about walk ups on the day we which to go through the park? Is May OK to do a walk up?

If we do a walk up, do we need to go very early???

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a meeting with the other couple we are going with and tryig to get the details.

Is there a penalty for booking the shuttle and then canceling?

Thanks so much

Wasup I wouldn't take a chance on walk up. They open the phone lines for bookings in February and they fill up quick. If you would try and do a walk up then you'd probably have to wait for the later buses and then if you're looking at anywhere from 6 to 8 hours, so that may put you back pretty late.

Here's a link that should answer all of your other questions in regards to the shuttle http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/reservations.html

They are school type buses and you can bring your own food and drinks on. They stop at various times to let you use the facilities. Which most of the times are portapotties.

Susan in Anchorage:)

I have stayed at Reilly Creek campgrounds in Denali Park, was OK and very convenient. You are taking a BIG chance with a walk up bus slot, not likely to have any availablity, these buses run full since there aren't many of them on the schedule. You can reserve ahead the "hold back" seats- 2 days ahead, be on the phone when the reservations opens at 7am. You will be booking a Toklat River shuttle bus, 5-21 - 5-27 there are ONLY 6 buses running, 5-27 - 5-31 11 buses total. So this should say it all, if a PRIORITY and you want a bus seat you need to reserve AHEAD. Cost $28.50 per person, $4 pp cancelation fee. You MUST bring all your own food and drink, NONE available anywhere in the park.

Archived