Egypt...Egypt...Egypt

BristolGolfer

Great to hear from you Bristolgolfer, thought you had fell overboard, you have not been on blogging recently, Have been looking at your wifes blog though.

Hope you are enjoying the last part of the cruise.

Not long for us now!!!:D:D:D

do you mean the ship that left around a week ago that was re routed to ports in israel is has changed back to its original itinerary?

Hi Ejl3,

no it appears the spirit stopped in Cairo, but missed other segements. Here on the Sojourn we have gone from boiled lollies to champagne and strawberries !

The mood of the cruise changed overnight. We have just had a magnificent arabian night where the crew decked the pool area out in an egyptian type theme. It was simply fantastic !

The effort the crew went to, was simply brilliant and you hope that Seattle will be advised of such, as all of them on the ship are to be congratulated. I will be writing a note of appreciation to Seattle and of course, the crew headed up by Captain Karlo.

Pyramids, here I come !

Regards to all.

Alfa

Alfa, so glad to hear from you. So the sojourn is stopping in egypt. I cant believe it. Have all of the ports been reinstated? What about oman and jordan? I have been busy packing, i cant wait to hear about your experiences!

Hi mate, I can now report that we are happy !

I have touched the pyramids, walked along the path of petra, viewed the wonders of Luxor and wondered how did those guys build those underground tombs in the valley of kings.

As you pack, I can tell you that these experiences are wonderful and I am grateful that we have viewed them. I even enjoyed Muscat Oman which was a surprise.

This region is one of many contradictions, beautiful areas in Egypt yet it has areas with rubbish piled as high as the eye can see. So sad particularly close to the pyramids.

I have witnessed their brave people, who welcome us every moment, smiling and waving their flags proudly. It inspires me to witness their struggle, but I am concerneed that the challenges they face, will not be solved in one day. It will take a long, long time.

I can also report, that at no stage did I feel at risk. Never did I feel my safety was at risk. We were even in Cairo on their day of protest on Friday and they all, each one of them, clapped our bus as it travelled through the city and gave us the "V" for victory signal.

Enjoy your packing my friend, you are in for an experience.Some good and bad, but take it in, makes you feel lucky to call home, home. :)

Alfa, that is great news. Did you by any chance do an over night excursion in luxor?

No mate, I did the long 13.5 hour tour, too long it was.

I know of other passengers who did the overnight stay and they enjoyed it very much indeed. If you want to lap up Luxor slowly, this I believe is the best option. Otherwise do the 13.5 hour trip, but the bus ride back is very tiring.

Sorry for delay in replying, the internet is as slow as a snail walking across the desert.

regards

Alfa

Alfa: Curious about the Petra tour. Did you take Seabourn's? We are on the Legend's Dec. 2 cruise and make a stop. Have booked the tour to Petra....any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks, Barbara

Hi Barbara,

we took the Seabourn arranged tour, very professional with a nice lunch at a 5 star hotel just near the entrace of the Petra walk.

I was very happy with this arranged tour. However, others did book a private tour and expressed satisfaction as well where it was smaller and more personal, except I heard some say heir lunch was not up to same expected standard.

Petra and in fact Jordan is wonderful, quite a contrast in regards to cleaninless when compared to Egypt. If you doing tours in Egypt, I strongly suggest the Seabourn arranged tours.

take care.

Alfa

Hope this helps

For what it's worth--we wanted to spend more time at Petra and didn't care to sit over a fancy lunch for 2 hours. Booked a car through Seabourn, a guide at the ruins, and the dining room made us lovely lunches. We spent about 4 hours at the site. You need to spend more time at Petra to really see it, but 4 hours was better than the 2 hours allotted the group tour. It was a fabulous day. Just a word--if you want to ride the carriage return, book it at the entrance when you pay for the guide. We didn't and had to pay more at the Treasury.

Archived