? re: Heathrow to Queensway/Bayswater

Hi,

I've done a bit of research but I still need to pick your brains as to the best way to do a return journey from Heathrow (T5) to our hotel on Bayswater Road (Queensway Tube Stop, Hilton Hyde Park).

So far, I am considering 3 options:

1. Piccadilly line to Hammersmith then switch across the platform on to District line to Earls Court then switch across the platform to District line to Bayswater.
  2. HEC to Paddington then Circle/District to Bayswater.
  3. HEC to Ealing Broadway then Central Line to Queensway

Some things to consider:

• Black Cab and/or minicab and HEX are all out of the question due to the price as we are doing 2 of these return trips during our stay in the UK (long story).
  • We (hubby and I), unfortunately, will have one 25" suitcase and 2 carry-ons.
  • Our last journey from Hotel to Heathrow is on the day of the Royal wedding - bad timing, but we have no choice.

I am leaning towards option 3 because it seems it has the least amount of transfers and schlepping of suitcases. However, I am not familiar with the Ealing Broadway station so I do not know how easy it is to switch trains given the amount of suitcases we have. Also, one of 4 journeys will be on a Sunday from London to Heathrow so the HEC option concerns me.

I don't know if HEC to Paddington and then cabbing it would be another option worth exploring.

Thanks ever so much for your help.

With a big suitcase think steps.

Option 1. Exit from Bayswater (there may be lifts/escalator - I do not know Bayswater) - otherwise all flat changes. (Piccadilly to District changing at Earls Court is escalator BTW)

Option 2. Loads of steps at Paddington to Circle/District - we just did them today! :mad:

Option 3. Some steps at Ealing Broadway IIRC.

It all depends on the time of day as well - 7am to 9.30am is not good. 5pm to 7pm is not brllliant either.

Option 1 is cheapest and flattest so that would be my first choice.

Option 1. Exit from Bayswater (there may be lifts/escalator - I do not know Bayswater) - otherwise all flat changes. (Piccadilly to District changing at Earls Court is escalator BTW)

My initial plan was doing 2 changes: 1st @ Hammersmith from Piccadilly to District via platform to go to Earls Court then 2nd @Earls Court on District again via Platform to Bayswater. But your suggestion is probably better since it involves only 1 change and there are lifts at Earls Court.

It all depends on the time of day as well - 7am to 9.30am is not good. 5pm to 7pm is not brllliant either.
we won't be travelling during these times, so I think we should be okay.

Thanks for your suggestions!:)

Thanks very much for your feedback. 2-platform changes it is then since it seems more convenient (and more cost-effective) than all the other options, steps at Bayswater notwithstanding. I just looked at the TFL website and it looks like there are planned closures on the Central line on the day of one of our journeys so Option 3 is definitely a no-go anyway. Thanks again.

I do that journey all the time as the hotel I usually stay at is in Bayswater, a 2 minute walk from Bayswater station and about a six minute walk from Queensway station.

1. There are stairs at Bayswater station...two flights about 15 stairs each..no lifts no escalators...not high steps mind you but stairs nonethe less.

2. I do the change at Hammersmith across the platform rather than continung to Earls Court. Earls Court Picadilly is already down in a tube and a short flights of stairs to the escalator and then a short flight of stairs up to the district line platform. Incidentally, the district line train from Hammersmith will come in against the wall and you cross the platform and need the District line train marked going to Edgeware Road and if you've studied your map, you will know it's 3 stops to Bayswater (just showing you how well I know this trip!) - High Street Kensington, Notting Hill Gate and then Bayswater. Ride towards the front of the train as that is where the stairs are at Bayswater (not the very front but near the front).

3. Queensway station of the central line requires a short flight of steps from the train level and then a lift to the street...if ever those 2 lifts are out of operation, then you're talking about 150 steps to the surface.ouch ouch ouch.

Is your 25" bag on wheels?

I'm in my 60's, travel with one big and a carry on and can manage a 25" bag at Bayswater....

1. There are stairs at Bayswater station...two flights about 15 stairs each..no lifts no escalators...not high steps mind you but stairs nonethe less.

Is your 25" bag on wheels?

I'm in my 60's, travel with one big and a carry on and can manage a 25" bag at Bayswater....

yes, all of our bags are on wheels, and between the 2 of us, we only have one 25" bag, so we should be fine doing the 30 steps. And we will do the 2-platform change since it seems the easiest and most logical thing to do. Thanks for your feedback!

Archived