Geraldton, WA

The HMAS Sydney Memorial is impressive, especially at night. We took a chartered flight to the Abroholos Islands, also interesting and saw where the wreck of the Batavia was removed before being located to Fremantle. There are relics in the Geraldton Museum.

Cruise ships don't actually dock at Geraldton...its a tender port.

The town is pretty and has its attractions. so I was told by a number of others....but we made the huge mistake of visiting the Hutt River Province. Avoid this tour (if it still offered).

Prince Leonard is past it (if he's still alive that is) and what was once an amusing and no doubt attractive diversion, is now a run down pitiful disgrace.:(

I felt that the bus driver on the tour we did 2 years ago was embarrassed to even take us there.:o It takes an hour and a half by bus (on a lot of dirt roads) to get there, but it is not long before every one only wants to get back on board and get out of there.

cheers

As far as I'm aware, cruise ships can dock at Geraldton, but it depends on berth availabilty and the weather. Geraldton is one of Australia's biggest regional ports and so the cruise ships have to defer to commerce. It is also one of the windiest places which makes docking tricky, so tendering is common.

The HMAS Sydney Memorial is well worth a visit, just depends what your interests are.:)

As Flipper said, give the Hutt River Province a BIG miss...

Archived