Upsell

treklyn

Usually offered a week or less before the sailing. The company will offer vacant higher-end cabins at a reduced price in a priority order. They'll call or email you to see if you want the upsell. If you decline or don't reply quickly, they immediately move on to the next person on the list. Not everyone is offered an upsell. In fact, most are not. I was once offered an upsell by email about five days before the sailing, from a minisuite on Jade to a Courtyard Villa; and from an AB Penthouse to Owner's Suite on Jewel the day before the sailing. The second upsell offer was via my cellphone. I didnt have the phone on me when NCL called, and when I did see the message 30 minutes later and called back, they'd already sold the OS to someone else.

I had a message on my phone and played phone tag with the upsell fairy when I finally got to talk to her.... she said that she was going to offer a mini suite for 220pp from our balcony but it was no longer available...but she says I have something better. I asked ok what is better and she says I have the owners suite a AA for you...I thought yea right no way can I afford that upsell. Then she tells me for only 320 pp. So needless to say I was in the OS and loved it. This was on the 3/5/11 Star. I miss my butler!:)

Actually, no one here knows for sure how NCL selects who they offer the upsell to. People have a lot of different theories though. The priority statement is conjecture at best.

Yeah, just a guess on my part from talking to everyone I know who's been offered an upsell. They seem to offer them first to people booked into cabins they think they'll be able to turn around quickly to other cruisers. But that's just a guess. I've never seen the Magic Book of Upsell.

Yeah, just a guess on my part from talking to everyone I know who's been offered an upsell. They seem to offer them first to people booked into cabins they think they'll be able to turn around quickly to other cruisers. But that's just a guess. I've never seen the Magic Book of Upsell.

That would seem to be a good assumption, to free up the cabins that you think you can most easily fill or get the most additional dollars for. Although some people also think that they also target some new cruisers to try to get them to experience the suite life, or also target some people who they've earned money off from. However, there doesn't seem to be any consistency there. It may be some combination of factors, and I suspect that some of it may also be random.

As someone who has worked for an operator of cruise ships in the past (not NCL), the method on upgrades (we really didn't do "upsells") was to upgrade people from the cabins which we could then resell the quickest. I think this theory when it comes to upsells is most likely closest to what actually happens within NCL.

Carnac - That was my experience. I had read that people got an upsell from Aft Romance Suites. Booked one on the Dawn for 02/20/11. (not just for that reason).

Kept checking the suites and noticed one Owners Suite was still available a week before our cruise. Told the wife we were gonna get an upsel (just a hunch). We left for Disney 5 days before the cruise and sure enough, that day they called me with an upsell to that owners suite. $520.00.

Has anyone from the UK ever had an upsell? NCL seem to be anti-British, no upsell,no credit when moving up a latitudes tier, and charge us more for the cruise than you lucky Americans!

Hi

Seems about right re an upsell from mini suite. It happened to us the very first time, we booked mini suite and were offered OS for 1K , as we didn't know anything about Suites we took it, and it was fantastic, but really spoils you for following Cruises! Since then we had AC and AE and Courtyard with no further upgrades!!!

OP..None of us know for sure, as has been posted.. but I have a theory which I am sure many could tell me isn't true.. but I swear it seems they search the already booked rooms for someone who hasn't ever been in a suite before and that is who they pick to call first. They know once you are in a suite.. 90% are hooked on suites.

Our first and only upsell we ever got was on the Sun, our first NCL cruise. We got offered an upgrade from a mini to the Aft Penthouse with the huge balcony. Next to the OS, it is the nicest suite we have had onboard a ship. The bathroom is SO nice. We paid $250.00 PP to upsell. They called us 30 days to the day before the cruise. I have heard of people getting calls 2 months out and people getting called when they were in their car on the way to the terminal to board the ship.

I had a message on my phone and played phone tag with the upsell fairy when I finally got to talk to her.... she said that she was going to offer a mini suite for 220pp from our balcony but it was no longer available...but she says I have something better. I asked ok what is better and she says I have the owners suite a AA for you...I thought yea right no way can I afford that upsell. Then she tells me for only 320 pp. So needless to say I was in the OS and loved it. This was on the 3/5/11 Star. I miss my butler!:)

Isnt the OS TO DIE FOR? We used the NCL Credit card points to upgrade to it from a AE. Boy is that a nice suite.

Has anyone from the UK ever had an upsell? NCL seem to be anti-British, no upsell,no credit when moving up a latitudes tier, and charge us more for the cruise than you lucky Americans!

Yes.. but you get to live in beautiful England and be surrounded by the beautiful accents all day long.. 8-)

I did a "reverse" upsell...I called my TA to inquire about any deal NCL would offer on a larger cabin. We were booked in a Balcony Room (BC) and upgraded to an AFT AF room Family Suite(corner with wrap around balcony). I am certain that we paid more than what an upsell offer would have been, but for us, we were pleased with the total price. It was out of our price range when originally booked, but when I inquired last week, the price had come down significantly for the larger room.

Do as we do, book thro' the US. 80% of the time you save a substantial amount. Just compare between the US & the UK. ;)

I was called twice by the fairy both from an aft room, one was aft mini suite one was aft romance so I think maybe there is truth to the statement that most afts get the call. I was also upgraded free at the pier from AD to AB but I don't think that happens ever. Also I haven't gone back to regular rooms after the first suite 8years ago NCL knows what they are doing. Now I get the suite I really want because I don't want to risk not having the suite I want. At this point in my life I enjoy the comforts of a suite. I started with insides, then ov then balcony and now and forever suites.:D

Wow, kinda lucky for you that you missed the first call!!! :)

thanks,didnt realise ncl would let us do that,they really do seem to be increasingly anti-British market. Last time we were on the Jade standards/service was not what it used to be,but we still want to use our cruise reward sometime. Do you get all the benefits American passengers get?

thanks,didnt realise ncl would let us do that,they really do seem to be increasingly anti-British market. Last time we were on the Jade standards/service was not what it used to be,but we still want to use our cruise reward sometime. Do you get all the benefits American passengers get?

I think NCL has become slack in enforcing this because when I was first starting to read CC years ago (well before I actually got a username and started posting) I would read where folks from other countries would book through the US website and either right before the cruise or as they were at the terminal getting ready to board, they were told their tickets had been canceled. Evidentially there was something when you booked that basically said that if you booked on the US website you were a US citizen or had a US adress or something. I honestly don't remember which the case was as it was a while back, but either way, their info did not match up when they had to show another countries passport or travel docs so their cruise was canceled. From posts I have been reading lately it seems that there are quite a few doing this and not having any trouble. I would just hope that the money they saved would be worth taking the risk. I can tell you it wouldn't be for me. If I showed up at the terminal just to be told my tickets had just been canceled I would be devistated.

I think NCL has become slack in enforcing this because when I was first starting to read CC years ago (well before I actually got a username and started posting) I would read where folks from other countries would book through the US website and either right before the cruise or as they were at the terminal getting ready to board, they were told their tickets had been canceled. Evidentially there was something when you booked that basically said that if you booked on the US website you were a US citizen or had a US adress or something. I honestly don't remember which the case was as it was a while back, but either way, their info did not match up when they had to show another countries passport or travel docs so their cruise was canceled. From posts I have been reading lately it seems that there are quite a few doing this and not having any trouble. I would just hope that the money they saved would be worth taking the risk. I can tell you it wouldn't be for me. If I showed up at the terminal just to be told my tickets had just been canceled I would be devistated.

What are the risks? When I've phoned NCL in the US to book a cruise, they put me thro' to the International dept. This goes for the other lines we have cruised with...........except Princess. ;)

I've booked my last 4 cruises through various US online TAs. Great savings for us. We've never had any problems. Mind you there is no ncl dot co dot nz like the uk one. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Still never had an upsell call or heard of many non US people who have.

Archived