Grill's Questions ???

Bruce62

Hi,

We are booked on our 1st Cunard cruise this Oct (QM2 - 2 Days). The excuse being that we thought that we should try someting different, having sailed happily with P&O for many a year.

Question 1 - We are a family of 3 (Including 16 YO son), and I have booked a Q5 cabin for all of us, and will be dining in the Queens Grill.

From what I can see, we can dine at anytime we like, but I have been asked for my prefered table size. Now being a bear of very little brain, I can't see how this works, so would be delighted if somebody could explain this to me.

Question 2 - We are looking at doing a transatlantic crossing next year, and would probably get our son his own cabin, as there is very little difference in the costs. How would this then work, for all of us dining together if we are allocated different restaurants?

Question 3 - From waht I can see the menus are the same in all the main restaurants, is this correct?

Many thanks in advance.

Bruce

Hi,

We are booked on our 1st Cunard cruise this Oct (QM2 - 2 Days). The excuse being that we thought that we should try someting different, having sailed happily with P&O for many a year.

I've done one of these short trips to Cherbourg. They are not completely representative of the Cunard experience, but the short trips that I have done - on both QE2 and QM2 - were not party cruises in the dreadful sense. But bear in mind that everything will be a little busier than normal.

Question 1 - We are a family of 3 (Including 16 YO son), and I have booked a Q5 cabin for all of us, and will be dining in the Queens Grill.

From what I can see, we can dine at anytime we like, but I have been asked for my prefered table size. Now being a bear of very little brain, I can't see how this works, so would be delighted if somebody could explain this to me.

Do you want to sit on a table with other people as well? If so, how many more? Choose the number of people on the table accordingly. If you want to remain just the three of you, then a table for four would be the best option.

Question 2 - We are looking at doing a transatlantic crossing next year, and would probably get our son his own cabin, as there is very little difference in the costs. How would this then work, for all of us dining together if we are allocated different restaurants?

Your son would eat in the Britannia Restaurant, you would eat in the Queen's Grill. You cannot get him seated in the Queens' Grill without booking him a Queens' Grill cabin, or making him the third person in yours.

You could eat in the Britannia however, if you wished to.

Question 3 - From waht I can see the menus are the same in all the main restaurants, is this correct?

Largely. The Grills have a couple of extra options, and there is the scope to order off menu. However the difference comes in the fact that the Britannia can cater for up to 1300 at a sitting, the Queens' Grill cooks far more to order.

Many thanks in advance.

Bruce

You are welcome.

WD

Re table size, they want to know if you want to share a table with other travelers. Since you have 3 in your party, you'll need a table for at least 4. I suspect if you ask for it, they will NOT seat another single traveler at your table. I don't know how the tables in the Grill work, but in the Britannia, they seat anywhere from 2 to 8 and I think there is one or two tables that are even bigger.

Re question 2, if you and your son are in different level cabins (Grill and Britannia), normally you would be expected to eat at the Britannia if you wanted to dine with your son. However, perhaps with the upper class grill, they would allow your son to join you there.

Re question 3, don't know if the food is the same. However, in the Grill it's cooked to order since you can dine anytime. In the Britannia, it's more like convention type cooking for 2 different time periods in the evening.

Re question 2, if you and your son are in different level cabins (Grill and Britannia), normally you would be expected to eat at the Britannia if you wanted to dine with your son. However, perhaps with the upper class grill, they would allow your son to join you there.

I doubt it, otherwise they will be setting a precedent. There are a limited number of covers in the Grills, and therefore seating visitors is not necessarily easy.

Equally, they do not wish to spend on Grill amenities for Britannia passengers. You can see their point.

What may, for regular travellers, be possible for a single night is not possible for relative newcomers for a seven night crossing.

I think that it would be unfair to unreasonably raise expectations.

WD

I doubt it, .

WD

There is no doubt whatsoever, they will not allow him to eat with you unless he is in a Grills cabin, as a matter of interest, if you book him a cabin as a solo passenger you will pay an extra 75% for him so you might wish to consider having someone else accompany him sharing, as this will only cost another 25%. If he is solo in a Grills cabin, the supplement is 100%.

On question 3, I always thought that the two variants of A la carte menu were only available in the Grill's? I confess that I have never eaten in Britannia, so could be wrong.

Can someone put me right on this, thanks?

On question 3, I always thought that the two variants of A la carte menu were only available in the Grill's? I confess that I have never eaten in Britannia, so could be wrong.

Can someone put me right on this, thanks?

I don't know what you mean by two variants, but the choices in the Grills are A la carte whereas the choices in Britannia are from a more limited menu with perhaps 5 options per course.

Thanks for the response. By "two variants" I mean QG and PG versions, with QG obviously being more extensive.

In which case, I would say there is a very substantial difference between the menus available in the Grills and in Britannia, given that the current QM2 A la carte menu includes 5 cold appetizers (4 in PG); 4 hot appetizers; 2 soups; 2 fish entrees; 6 grills & roasts and 7 vegetable dishes. [of course the availability of the A la carte menu at present is a complete mystery!]. The QG daily menu - which is very similar to the Britannia menu - being an additional 7 appetizers & soups; 2 salads; 6 entrees; 7 desserts and cheese.

It may be useful for the first poster to also know that the wine list in the Grill's is more extensive, as are both the breakfast room service and restaurant menus.

Thanks for the response. By "two variants" I mean QG and PG versions, with QG obviously being more extensive.

In which case, I would say there is a very substantial difference between the menus available in the Grills and in Britannia, given that the current QM2 A la carte menu includes 5 cold appetizers (4 in PG); 4 hot appetizers; 2 soups; 2 fish entrees; 6 grills & roasts and 7 vegetable dishes. [of course the availability of the A la carte menu at present is a complete mystery!].

It may be useful for the first poster to also know that the wine list in the Grill's is more extensive, as are both the breakfast room service and restaurant menus.

I, and most people would expect there to be differences in the choices available as the Grillers are paying more than 8 times the steerage price. I don't think that you are correct about the wine list, my understanding is that wines on board are available to all, otherwise it really makes no sense.

There is no doubt whatsoever, they will not allow him to eat with you unless he is in a Grills cabin

You can always ask ! l know of one occasion a number of years ago a couple in the Queens Grill were travelling with their Daughter and she was in Mauretania grade single cabin (it was on QE2) and she was allowed to dine with her parents in the Queens Grill. They were given a table for 3.

Quite what arrangements were made goodness only knows.

Hi Captain, I cross-referenced my comment on the information from the Carnival Extranet-thingy, as follows:

"Is the menu the same in each restaurant and of the same quality?

Yes. Although the same high quality food and service are supplied in all the allocated restaurants, guests who choose the Grills accommodation will experience a more choice on the menu, a more comprehensive wine list, and enhanced level of service."

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this for Britannia (wine wise), but I can certainly confirm that it is my experience for the King's Court evening venues. Kevin or Dinesh the Head Soms very kindly makes sure to pop in with a bottle (or two) of my fav Burgundy if either is on-ship and knows we are eating away from home. :)

I was told last week that if you book a cabin with minors only, the second cabin willl have to be close to the cabin where the adults are situated.

Thanks for the replies, and Cunard have confirmed that we would have to eat with him in the Britannia.

However, assuming that we stay in the one cabin, and go on the transatlantic cruise and select a table for 8. How does this work if we can eat at anytime?

Would we have different companions each night, or would we have to agree to eat at the same time every night?

Sorry about all the ?'s, but I'm so use to P&O, that I'm finding this rather difficult to get my head around.

Bruce

Thanks for the replies, and Cunard have confirmed that we would have to eat with him in the Britannia.

However, assuming that we stay in the one cabin, and go on the transatlantic cruise and select a table for 8. How does this work if we can eat at anytime?

Would we have different companions each night, or would we have to agree to eat at the same time every night?

Sorry about all the ?'s, but I'm so use to P&O, that I'm finding this rather difficult to get my head around.

Bruce

Hi, We have stayed in the grills and never had a problem come meal times. You just turn up when you want, it does not matter if your table mates arrive before or after you.

We never agreed at what time to eat, it is best that way. We wanted to eat when it suited us.

Catherine

Bruce

In most cases, you would have the same tablemates each night(we've done both P-G & Q-G)Whether you all get there at the same time can vary widely. We noted some folks arrived at nearly the same time every eve. while some others usually were later. This is frequently the result of shore excusions.Taking time to relax & freshen up,I guess. On TA's I imagine folks would arrive closer to the same time. I can't quote that, as we've always Caribbean trips. North East Girl says it pretty well.. You pretty much go to dine when you wish.

as a matter of interest, if you book him a cabin as a solo passenger you will pay an extra 75% for him so you might wish to consider having someone else accompany him sharing, as this will only cost another 25%.

I think the point the OP was making about about the cost of a Britannia room costing about the same as a Queens Grill was based on paying double for 2 fares which is about equal to a single Queens Grill rate. If he stayed in the Queens Grill room, their fares there would be triple. Subtracting 1/3 of that total would come pretty close to paying for the Britannia Room.

I guess it comes down to how you define "pretty close".

Partial quote

We are booked on our 1st Cunard cruise this Oct (QM2 - 2 Days). The excuse being that we thought that we should try someting different, having sailed happily with P&O for many a year....

Question 2 - We are looking at doing a transatlantic crossing next year, and would probably get our son his own cabin, as there is very little difference in the costs. How would this then work, for all of us dining together if we are allocated different restaurants?....

May I suggest that you talk to the nice people at the Voyage Office about your TA in 2012 while you are on board in October. There may be a special promotion for the voyage you are interested in taking, and you will have the opportunity to have all your questions addressed. If you like the ship and plan on sailing again, I suggest you purchase a future cruise credit (FCC) -or whatever it is being called these days.

Just my personal opinion, but I would not recommend a table for 8 when tablemates can be arriving and leaving at any time during meals. Regards, S-.

We had a table for 4 on a TA last Fall and the other couple always arrived at different times than we did. There was never a problem with this arrangement.

We generally arrived at 7 and they a little later, because they enjoyed cocktails in the QG Lounge before dinner. The nice thing about the grills is that you can eat at anytime during the specified hours and your table is always ready.

Hi larn796. Yes, I can understand how a table for four would work out nicely. Once in Britannia Club, we had a table for six and that worked out pretty well too. We all arrived for dinner at different times (generally within 15-30 minutes of each other), but the waiters were very skilled at coordinating service. None of us ate breakfast or lunch at the same time, so for those meals, each couple had the table for six to themselves.

-S.

I was told last week that if you book a cabin with minors only, the second cabin willl have to be close to the cabin where the adults are situated.

Just my personal opinion, but I would not want a minor to have his or her own cabin as a saftey matter. Please consider that until changes are made, anyone in possession of a master key card can open any cabin door at any time. I arrived at this opinion after reading several news reports including this http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/03/articles/sexual-assault-of-minors/princess-cruises-captain-pleads-guilty-to-sex-crime-against-girl-on-princess-cruise-ship/

Cunard will not allow minors to occupy a cabin alone. Persons under 21 need to be accompanied by a person over 21 in the cabin. This seems a little harsh to me where in the UK a person is an adult at 18, but they are the rules, whether they are strictly enforced I have no idea. My days of travelling with teenagers are over.

"Can children under the age of 16 occupy a stateroom to themselves?

Yes, this is fine, though the first two people in each stateroom will be charged an adult fare, regardless of their age and anyone under the age of 18 years must travel with someone who is aged 21 or over".

Again, this is from the Cunard extranet. I cannot vouch for how it is applied.

Personally, when I was 'young man' of 16 (are you really considered a minor at 16?), if my parents had suggested I share a cabin with them, I would have had no hesitation in telling them I was staying at home - but then again at 16 I had moved out of home.

I would (subject to Cunard knowing their own rules) give the 16 year old a cabin of his own. Let him eat in Britannia, giving Seating Reservations a call and asking as a preference a table with some people of his own age (better still get him to do it). He may meet interesting people of different nationalities and different backgrounds and possibly make friendships for life - I know I did at a slightly earlier age. If he is shy, it may bring him out of himself (a shy American teenager, who am I kindding :D ) and if he isn't, he may have a great time bonding, and enjoying a bit of independence.

If there are teenage English girls they will almost certainly have smuggled alcohol on-board and that could lead to some great fun moments and skirmishing with the rules. Oh the joys of pretending to be sober at 13/14 on the QE2 and trying and failing to sneak into the Pig & Whistle.... happy days.

"Can children under the age of 16 occupy a stateroom to themselves?

Yes, this is fine, though the first two people in each stateroom will be charged an adult fare, regardless of their age and anyone under the age of 18 years must travel with someone who is aged 21 or over".

Cunard have done it again, on their UK site at https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/child_age

its states " Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the stateroom by a guest who is 21 years of age or older."

They really are hopeless.

Captain, never have truer words been written, I salute you.

I am incresingly coming to the opinion that Cunard is like an old maiden Aunt of mine... confused, deranged, overly grand, demanding and hard to understand - but oh how we love her.;)

If anyone tries to book a teenager only stateroom, and it is declined. Remind Cunard that a certain Captain's son is frequently in a stateroom on his own during the school holidays. That should induce panic, anxiety and a lot of confusion. :confused:

Thanks for all the replies, but these have led to another question.

Will my son (16) be allowed to have a glass of wine with us at dinner? Or do Cunard adhere to the US's draconian alcohol laws?

Archived