Eclipse March 26 - loved it, kid did too

bigbadger

:D Just back from our amazing cruise. First time on Celebrity and what a time it was. We were a party of 3 - hubby, myself and an 11 yr old boy. Each of us had our favorite moments but all in agreement that it was a perfect spring break.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions but thought for this post I would speak directly to cruising with a "tween". I had some concerns prior to the cruise that the 11 yr old would not have enough to do, maybe not enough kids...you get my drift. I can not speak for cruises that occur on non-holiday times - there were plenty of kids, but it was not an overwhelming amount. Our son was at the oldest end of his age group (9-11) and was not initially too happy about it. The staff in the kids area were absolutely amazing and recognized that at times he would be better with the next group up and at times the group was just right. I am still amazed that they looked at each child individually. End result, we rarely saw him on at sea days. There were occasional "sightings" as he went from activity to activity. Always with a group of kids who were all grinning from ear to ear. They routinely met up in the oceanview cafe to have breakfast together. He even participated in the kids club talent show - we did not see it (he neglected to tell us he was part of it) but our table mates got a great picture of it.

Feel free to ask any other questions. We did the segway tour in San Juan - our family favorite; day at orient beach in St. Martin; and catamaran fan-to-sea (great time).

Heidi

:) So glad you had a great time!!!

We will be sailing next February with our kids, 12 and 14. I was worried that they wouldn't have too much fun also! Happy to hear your son had fun. Usually my kids don't go to the kid centers much when we go away, but maybe they will be more likely to on Eclipse??

Did you book any specialty restaurants, if so how were they?

We were considering doing the segway tour also... how was it exactly?

Thanks for the info....

Anna

Hi Heidi

Really pleased to read your post. We are travelling on Eclipse in July and will have a 12yo boy and 15yo girl with us (both are very excited). I just wondered about the Segway tour. We would love to do this in Portugal but we have an age restriction of min age 16yo. Did you manage to get round this or was there not a restriction in place?

We are really excited about this holiday and are so pleased to read all these great comments, especially where the children are concerned.

Kirstin

We did the segway in San Juan and the only limitations were that you had to be under 60 yrs of age and weigh at least 100 pounds. We received a 30 min intro class and then off we went. I booked this excursion as soon as we were allowed to, maybe 3 1/2 months out. They only took a total of 12 people.

We did not do any specialty restaurants. The web page stated that you had to be at least 13 yrs to eat in them. I also saw that you could eat in Tuscon Grille if the kids were over 10. Sort of conflicting info. Decided I would "play it by ear" when we got on the ship. We were so happy with the main dining room and loved our wait staff that when I asked the guys if they wanted me to check it out they voted no.

I highly recommend you encouraging your kids to check things out the first day/night. They have set up alot of "getting to know" each other activities and it seemed as if the kids figured out their "group" from there. Great scavenger hunt around the ship night one. All the age groups did it, starting times and required items varied. My son lists that night as one of the best. They also had a wonderful teen swim night in the adult pool from 10pm-midnight. Try and nudge them to at least try it. They can come and go as they want, so they are not "stuck" doing anything.

Heidi

So glad you enjoyed the cruise! I board Eclipse on Saturday. I did have some minor questions perhaps you (or someone) might answer:

-Cost of Gelateria?

-Popcorn anywhere?

-Aqua Cafe? (location, food items, cost if any)

-DVD player available?

-Rosetta Stone access? (Cost, times)

Thanks!

So glad you had a wonderful cruise. My son loves the Fun Factory and I loved the way you phrased "sightings". When my son was 6 our tablemates on Celebrity had an 18 year old daughter and an 11 year old daughter. The 11 year old was shy but after seeing how much fun my son was having with the kids program she joined in on the fun. She LOVED the Fun Factory and was probably mad that she hadn't joined on day one.

Thanks for the tips. We are two families travelling together and although our friends son always goes to the kids clubs when on holiday our daughter has never done it. However she has said that we are to make her go as she knows its going to be much more fun if she goes. We have explained if she goes the first day all the kids are in the same boat and dont know each other. I have just read her your post and she has a big grin on her face:).

Our segway tour (ships tour that is) definitely states min age 16 so dont think we will have much luck there, shame:(! Sounds great but I can still ask when we get there.

Thanks for your advice.

Tell you daughter that it isn't like daycare. They do all kinds of things around the ship. They have disco night with the parents, a talent show if she want to participate, scavenger hunts with the parents. They have a list of all the activities each day. The cabin steward will leave this in your room or you can pick one up outside the Fun Factory. The first day the parents go with you to the orientation- so it isn't scarey at all. She can come and go as she pleases (if parents allow her to sign in and out). The do karaoke- you name it. She will have a blast.

Oh that is great that we go with her to start with. As you say takes the worry out of that initial first time. She is going to have a ball by the sounds of it and is looking forward to making new friends.

Thanks very much for everyones very useful advice and information.

Gelato I believe did not have an additional cost. It is located on the 5th floor and away from the main activity. Did not see popcorn served anywhere but 11 yr old just said they always had some in the kids and x clubs. Aqua cafe is back behind the adult pool. I had a great piece of salmon there one afternoon for lunch. We were in a regular verandah room and did not have a DVD player. Probably have them in the suites. I saw the Rosetta stone classes on the schedule every day and do not recall that there was an additional cost.

Heidi

-Cost of Gelateria?

-Popcorn anywhere?

-Aqua Cafe? (location, food items, cost if any)

-Rosetta Stone access? (Cost, times)

Gelato is $3.45 (3.00 plus 15%)

I have had popcorn in the theatre for movies on other Celebrity ships, but not sure about the Eclipse... usually I can smell popcorn, but didn't notice it last cruise... maybe I just wasn't in the vicinity...

Aqua Cafe: no charge, however, lunch hours only 12 - 2ish (they are supposed to stay open until 2:30, but twice I went at 2pm for a late lunch, and they had already broken down). On sea days I wish they were open a bit later, to accommodate a 'lazy day schedule'.

Rosetta Stone is $25 one time fee for unlimited/24 hr access -- at least that's what the dailies say... I did not personally participate.

They have set up alot of "getting to know" each other activities and it seemed as if the kids figured out their "group" from there. Great scavenger hunt around the ship night one. All the age groups did it, starting times and required items varied. My son lists that night as one of the best.

We ran into a group of kids (or should I say they ran into us!) after leaving dinner in Blu, and they looked like they were having a ball! I have always loved scavenger hunts, and so we tried to help them as much as we could, giving them several items from their list (I had my pocketbook with me).

It made me think what fun an Adult Only Scavenger Hunt would be -- something Celebrity could easily do as another entertainment option, an alternative to trivia. It certainly is a great way to get to learn/know your way around the ship quick!

Gelato is $3.45 (3.00 plus 15%)

I have had popcorn in the theatre for movies on other Celebrity ships, but not sure about the Eclipse... usually I can smell popcorn, but didn't notice it last cruise... maybe I just wasn't in the vicinity...

Aqua Cafe: no charge, however, lunch hours only 12 - 2ish (they are supposed to stay open until 2:30, but twice I went at 2pm for a late lunch, and they had already broken down). On sea days I wish they were open a bit later, to accommodate a 'lazy day schedule'.

Rosetta Stone is $25 one time fee for unlimited/24 hr access -- at least that's what the dailies say... I did not personally participate.

Thanks for the good info!

It made me think what fun an Adult Only Scavenger Hunt would be --

Agree, and a nice way to learn more about other passengers.

"Uh, lessee..oh, do you have any handcuffs? No? OK... how about whips?... No, that's OK.... the book, "Loose Women with Low Standards" ? Don't have that either, huh?

Hmmm... How about Popcorn? ... You do! Yes, well, let me take that... sorry, I need all of it to win... maybe some extra butter... thanks!

Archived