Budapest to Amsterdam cruise questions

Lloyd

We are cruising on Uniworld's River Empress from Budapest to Amsterdam on May 29 and will have one day before the cruise in Budapest. Any recommendations on how to spend the day? Also, any tips on the cruise and ship would be appreciated. How about money?--Are Euros the best to have during the cruise?

Budapest is a great way to spend at least a day but its not enough!!!

First of all do not go to the castle district you will go there on your tour , with uniworld , nonetheless that leaves numerous options.

Visit the market hall located right next to vaci utca which is a name for the most famous shopping street in Budapest always worth a stroll , next to that one might be interested in visiting heroes square which is a beauty on its own on that square also the museum of fine arts. Further more on that square is the most famous restaurant in Budapest / Hungary the Gundell where one can eat typically Hungarian in style!! great for lunch or dinner(try the typical hugarian palacinta which are pancakes stuffed or the gulyas soup the real thing steam out your ears).

And the well know thermal baths Budapest hosts a large amount of thermal baths where u can really come to yourself an absolut must do!!!

if u look all these things up on the net u cab make your pick.

Some practical information:

1.Dollars are hardly accepted anymore in Hungary and if they do you will be ript off price wise ... so go with the national currency which is the forint 1 us dollar = 220 forint --now. or Euros.

2.Take a bank card with an atm function plenty of atm machines there.

3.travelling by metro or tram is the way to go cheap and easy buy a ticket book at the train station (keep in mind that on every transfer u have to punch your tickets or look for a day card).

4.Take taxis that have a lot of advertising on it =cheaper.

5.get a map!!! Budapest can be a little confusing if u have never been there.

6.Hungarian is an extremely difficult language , but they speak a little very little english that should save u .

7.when u arrive on the airport the best thing to do is take a minivan cheapest and most comfortable (metro is cheaper but for ur 1st time there dont even think about it hehe).

8. http://www.budapestinfo.hu/en/

go there for usefull info on Budapest!!

9.Euro money will get you all the way from budapest to amsterdam dollars are not accepted in any european country and its to expensive to exchange go with the atm or credit card.

10.The ship will be nice just refurbished , and comfy , hope you will enjoy it.

Further more enjoy your stay in Budapest , and on the River Empress.

Regards , Michael

• 1 month later...

Michael,

Your tips re: Budapest are right on target! We just returned from a great trip on the Viking Europe and had a couple of days in Budapest. The minibus is absolutely the way to get to the city; cheap, reliable - can't be beat. (The desk is conveniently situated - can't miss it after getting your baggage.) It's so true that virtually everyone spoke at least some English. They were also kind and helpful at every turn. We adored walking, walking, walking around the pedestrian zones; we were lucky enough to be there for the Budapest Spring Festival and enjoyed all the sights, sounds, and yummy smells. We also found the coffee shops a must-do: Gerbeaud's for the history, (big enough to accommodate nearly all comers) and we also loved the delightful, elegant Cafe Europa which had "mignons" to die for!

We had no problem anywhere in Eastern Europe finding ATM's. Only once did the ATM not take the card (somewhere in Bulgaria, I think) but that was an anomaly. Forget dollars most places; we had to deal with about 5 different currencies, but euros will do you fine.

You will, indeed, get a good overview of the city on your tour; the Castle District is gorgeous, if touristy, the Matthias Church and view from that area breathtaking. But, get off the beaten path a little and just WALK! We hope to visit this lovely city again.

Marie

Michael: We are going on the Vienna to Amsterdam river cruise in the fall of this year. I noticed your message about Budapest, and wondered if you have any info or web sites on Vienna, Melk, Passau, Bamberg, Rothenburg, Heidelburg, Cologne, Regensburg. Thanks in advance.

Mary Lou

• 1 month later...

Lloyd, I am going on the same cruise as you May 29th, also going to Budapest a day early. I was in Budapest on a bus tour several years ago. It's a nice city. I plan to visit the Parliament building, vaci ucta, the market and maybe one of the famous baths. A side trip I enjoyed on my last trip was to Szententre. http://www.tripadvisor is a good website for reviews on hotels and attractions. Also check out http://goeasteurope.about.com for maps, walking tours, etc. virtualtourist.com is also a good website to check out. I find it's best to do outside activities that include walking on your first day to help with the jet lag. http://www.oneda.com is a good website for a currency conversion cheatsheet. I also like to take a lot of $1 bills, they come in handy for tips and buying postcards from street vendors. I believe Uniworld does a tour of the Castle District, which is very nice.

Archived