Can a 18 yo go into any of the clubs?

We are thinking about booking the Epic and are wondering if our 18 yo can go into any of the clubs. I know that he cannot purchase alcohol. We have been on Carnival and our other 18 yo was able to go into some of the clubs with us.

Thanks

We are thinking about booking the Epic and are wondering if our 18 yo can go into any of the clubs. I know that he cannot purchase alcohol. We have been on Carnival and our other 18 yo was able to go into some of the clubs with us.

Thanks

Yes, he can go into any of the clubs on the ship. Also, on some itineraries 18 year olds can drink with parental consent.

Thanks

Your 18 year old can go into all the clubs and unless you are doing Hawaii they can drink as well. You will need to sign a waiver (at the main desk) when you embark and they will put a sticker on his key card which allows him to purchase beer and wine - only when in international waters. I signed the waiver for my 18 year old daughter in January. They let her order mixed drinks all the time (maybe because she was always with me and because she would only have one or two drinks max) Also the international waters thing was really only enforced as we were leaving the port of Miami.

It was a nice little surprise for my son also!! They did not allow him to order mixed drinks however, nor would they let him order the bucket or helmet of beer. They watched very closely on the cruise we were on, but as poster above indicated, that is not always the case.

It was actually very enjoyable that we were able to have a bottle of wine with dinner. And it was interesting to watch as he had to decide how to spend his limited dollars (other than when he was with me or at meals we were not willing to pay his bar tab! LOL). With beer like $6 each, he quickly learned that this was definitely not the place to get trashed!! I have to say it was a nice introduction for him. I'm sure he drinks at school, but we had never been with him when he was drinking. He was actually quite responsible.

Your 18 year old can go into all the clubs and unless you are doing Hawaii they can drink as well. You will need to sign a waiver (at the main desk) when you embark and they will put a sticker on his key card which allows him to purchase beer and wine - only when in international waters. I signed the waiver for my 18 year old daughter in January. They let her order mixed drinks all the time (maybe because she was always with me and because she would only have one or two drinks max) Also the international waters thing was really only enforced as we were leaving the port of Miami.

Hawaii AND Alaska are the two itineraries where you must be 21.

We cruised with our 18 year old son in January. He went to all the bars/clubs that we did. He also had several drinks along with us in the bars and shows and as long as he was with us we didn't sign have to sign anything. I didn't want him to be able to purchase alcohol without us there. I think his card had something indicating he was 18 (clipped on the corner maybe).

It was a nice little surprise for my son also!! They did not allow him to order mixed drinks however, nor would they let him order the bucket or helmet of beer. They watched very closely on the cruise we were on, but as poster above indicated, that is not always the case.

It was actually very enjoyable that we were able to have a bottle of wine with dinner. And it was interesting to watch as he had to decide how to spend his limited dollars (other than when he was with me or at meals we were not willing to pay his bar tab! LOL). With beer like $6 each, he quickly learned that this was definitely not the place to get trashed!! I have to say it was a nice introduction for him. I'm sure he drinks at school, but we had never been with him when he was drinking. He was actually quite responsible.

Yes I suspected that my son had also drank while at college (he is a freshman this year) when he knew exactly what kind of beer he wanted. He was also very responsible turning down a second rum punch on an excursion he did with his dad so he could have a beer at the show that night.

I thought that would be the answer. However, under who's law is it a no, as the ship will probably be in international water at the time?

NCL sets out the regulation on their website at NCL.com:

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION POLICY

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol.

With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, NCL permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on roundtrip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

NCL tends to go by U.S. customs and rules. We tend not to give alcohol to children although I realize in Europe they have different customs.

If I purchase a bottle of wine at dinner, can I pour a small glass for my daughter age 14?

I don't know what the 'rules' are for sure, but based on laws in most of North America, I expect it would not be legal to do so. Even in European countries like France that do not have a legal drinking age, it is permissible for minors to drink in private, however 'providing' them with alcohol is illegal. A glass of wine in your cabin would be one thing, but pouring wine for a 14 year old in a public place is not likely to be permissible in ship restaurants.

Archived