Grand Turk/Half Moon Cay beaches

moeferg

We will be visiting these beaches next month. Our kids were wondering what kind of shells they might find on the beaches. Will they be able to find conch shells? Are there a lot of shells around or are the beaches manicured so they might not find any? What kinds of things have you found? Share some pics!

We will be visiting these beaches next month. Our kids were wondering what kind of shells they might find on the beaches. Will they be able to find conch shells? Are there a lot of shells around or are the beaches manicured so they might not find any? What kinds of things have you found? Share some pics!

Your best bet would be Grand Turk and your kids will be happy as there are plenty of conch shells. There is a conch shell graveyard where conch shells that have already been harvested for the meat are dumped and wash ashore empty, so there is no animal and no smell. If you are on the ship and facing Grand Turk, the "graveyard" will be on the right, after the small pier. There is a "point" and conch shells can be found on the beach before and after the point. There are also some smaller ones, but they seemed to be pretty much the same kinds in addition to some dead coral. There is some sea glass as well. As you requested, I'll attach some pictures:

Picture of the conch "graveyard" before reaching the point

100_7435.jpg

Conch shells all over the beach that's around the other side of the point

100_7412-1.jpg

The conch shell I found and brought home (excuse the goofiness of the picture - needed a cute screen saver.)

DSCF0440-1.jpg

The smaller ones from Grand Turk

IMG_0036.jpg

On Half Moon Cay, I only saw a few small ones that were pretty much the same kinds - round disc types in addition to some coral and one dead sand dollar up on the beach. Note on sand dollars - if sand dollars are covered in green/brown fuzz, then they are alive and should be put back in the water as you don't want those. I found these when I walked all the way down to the end of the island. It was a good 20 minute to a half hour walk. If you wanted to do that, it's on the left if you are looking at the island from the ship. There are some great photo ops there as well - it's post card beautiful. The section of the beach where the chairs are is manicured, so you probably won't find much, if any there.

Shells & one sand dollar found toward the end of HMC

IMG_0039.jpg

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Archived