Can you help me put this plan for Nassau in order?

AandBmom

Here are the things I think we'd like to see/do. I haven't been to Nassau so I'm not sure where everything is located. I'd love for someone that knows the area (scubagirl maybe???) to help me put these events in a good order to avoid unnecessary backtracking, extra cab/bus costs, etc. Any help offered will be much appreciated. Thanks.

We'll be on the Carnival Sensation and are in town from 7am - 7am I believe.

Queen's steps

Fort Fincastle

(and/or)

Fort Charlotte

Arastrada Zoo

Public Library

Pirate Museum (maybe)

depending on time and energy maybe an afternoon at the Sheraton/Wyndham

Last time I was in Nassau we did three of things you mentioned. The Pirate Museum was near the pier and we did this before we began our walk to the staircase and fort. We walked to the Queens Staircase and then if I remember correctly, Fort Fincastle was at the top of the stairs (I might be wrong here!).

I don't know anything about the Zoo or library though, just thought I'd let ya know what I remember.

Have lots of fun!

See if this link can help. It's a walking tour that includes most of those stops.

http://www.*****.com/nassau

I might add that if you want to go to the zoo also, you could take a cab in the afternoon to do that. The walk you mentioned will not take all day and if you are in town from 7am until (I assume) 7pm there is plenty of time.

Now if you are really a avid walker, you could even consider walking along the shore (going west) to where you will see signs to the zoo. There is also a bus that runs in that direction. If it is hot, that is a good alternative.

I also think that if you get an early start and go to the Pirate Museum first you might find it still closed. So, save it for the end of the walk when the pirates are awake and ready to entertain you.

See if this link can help. It's a walking tour that includes most of those stops.

http://www.*****.com/nassau

We're thinking of using some or all of this tour for our cruise in June. We'll have 2 kids with us (8 and 6 year old) and possibly DH's parents (who will be an active 80 year old and a 69 year old who can't walk long distances with hills). What time do a lot of these things open on the tour? We are also going to the Fish Fry for lunch so I'm trying to figure out if we should do the walking tour in the morning or wait til the afternoon. We will be in port on a Friday from 7:30 to 5 or something like that.

We're thinking of using some or all of this tour for our cruise in June. We'll have 2 kids with us (8 and 6 year old) and possibly DH's parents (who will be an active 80 year old and a 69 year old who can't walk long distances with hills). What time do a lot of these things open on the tour? We are also going to the Fish Fry for lunch so I'm trying to figure out if we should do the walking tour in the morning or wait til the afternoon. We will be in port on a Friday from 7:30 to 5 or something like that.

To walk from the docks to the Queen's Staircase is just under 1/2 mile but a little up hill. From there to the Government House is another 1/2 mile. Then I would go down Blue Hill Road, jog over to George Street and go to the Pirate Museum. This cuts off parts of the Walking Tour but should be ok for active elders and kids.

The only building that might not be open when you get an early start would be the Library. I think they open at 9:00 am, but I am not sure.

To walk from the docks to the Queen's Staircase is just under 1/2 mile but a little up hill. From there to the Government House is another 1/2 mile. Then I would go down Blue Hill Road, jog over to George Street and go to the Pirate Museum. This cuts off parts of the Walking Tour but should be ok for active elders and kids.

The only building that might not be open when you get an early start would be the Library. I think they open at 9:00 am, but I am not sure.

Thank you so much! :D

Hi everyone, I'm the OP. We're back from our vacation now so I thought I'd update this thread. I actually didn't get a chance to read your replies until now. The library opens at 10am. We found it mildly interesting, but it wouldn't have been a big deal if we skipped it. We walked out of the cruise port and crossed the street. We sort of followed some of the first walking tour posted here. We happened to catch the prisoners being brought in for court which was kind of interesting and we saw a prisoner in black/white stripes doing work around the police station. We then walked past the library (it was still closed as it was around 9:30am). We walked to the Queen's steps and it was beautiful. It was however not an easy walk - the roads are very narrow, traffic was crazy and there aren't many sidewalks. The walk wasn't physically demanding, just a little tricky to manuoeuver, particularly with our baby stroller. We made it though. At the top of the steps is Fort Fincastle which we enjoyed seeing. We then walked down the back steps from the Fort. We walked back to the library which had just opened and checked it out. My kids actually sat at a table and read some books, then we climbed to the top to look out. Nothing too exciting, but a relaxing venture. Then we walked past the Government house. The house was beautiful to see, but again the walking was tricky given the traffic and lack of sidewalks. From there we walked to the pirate museum. We decided not to do the museum but did check out the gift shop which the kiddos liked. After the museum we checked out the British Colonial Hilton. We walked through the lobby and around to the back. We walked out to the beach and hung out on the beach beside the breakwall/dock thing. The kids played forever in the sand/water and we relaxed sitting on the dock. We were never approached by anyone and didn't pay as we didn't use any facilities. We watched the people at Senor frogs for a while and it seemed tame enough so we ate lunch there on the patio. We strategically positioned ourselves at the table furthest from the adult games so our kids didn't really notice what they were doing. We enjoyed a bunch of yummy appetizers and a cold drink each. The clown put balloon hats on all of us and the kids thought it was a hoot. We then walked to the Hilton and caught a cab out front which took us to the Ardastra zoo. The cab was $12 for the 5 of us (2 adults, 2 children, 1 baby). The zoo was very small and kind of lame. We live near the African Lion Safari and the Toronto Zoo so it's hard to compare to those sites though. My kids enjoyed walking around and it was mostly shady there so it wasn't a bad way to spend an hour or two. You couldn't spend much more time there. We purposely arrived in time for the parrot feeding and flamingo march. These things only happen 3 times a day and it would be a waste of money to go without doing these things. We really enjoyed the parrot feeding. The flamingo march was cute but I sort of expected it to be more exciting. We caught a cab to the straw market and looked around then made our way to the ship. All in all it was a nice day and cost us in total about $100 for everything (cabs, lunch, zoo entrance). We really wanted to show the children the Bahamas culture which I feel we did with a few touristy things thrown in there too. It was a nice balance.

Hi everyone, I'm the OP. We're back from our vacation now so I thought I'd update this thread.

....... All in all it was a nice day and cost us in total about $100 for everything (cabs, lunch, zoo entrance). We really wanted to show the children the Bahamas culture which I feel we did with a few touristy things thrown in there too. It was a nice balance.

Thank you 'mom' for your detailed experience in Nassau. I am sorry for cutting your comments short, but I really appreciate your input of the various things you did with a youngster along.

Yes, there are virtually no sidewalks and I can imagine that with a stroller along it was a bit difficult. I have not been to the zoo and again thanks for your evaluation. The total area is small and I am sure lots of other places have more to offer. But this is 'laid back' Bahamas.

For a total tab of 100 bucks (for three or four of you?) you must have beat the ship's price for similar excursions by a fair amount.

Thank you 'mom' for your detailed experience in Nassau. I am sorry for cutting your comments short, but I really appreciate your input of the various things you did with a youngster along.

Yes, there are virtually no sidewalks and I can imagine that with a stroller along it was a bit difficult. I have not been to the zoo and again thanks for your evaluation. The total area is small and I am sure lots of other places have more to offer. But this is 'laid back' Bahamas.

For a total tab of 100 bucks (for three or four of you?) you must have beat the ship's price for similar excursions by a fair amount.

$100 was for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant

Archived