Currency Conversion

Silversands

I am looking for a bit of advice, I am completing Royal Carribean`s Cruise Ticket Contract in respect of my Credit Card and they have asked if I want to :

a) Pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card (Sterling). If I choose to use Royal Caribbean`s currency conversion programme this would be the exchange rate plus 3% or

b) Choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Carribs. currency conversion programme.

I`m not too sure what the difference is and what is the best one to choose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a Med Cruise so it`s unclear whether the conversion would be to Euros or Dollars - my guess is onboard charges will be in Dollars.

Never, never let a cruise ship convert...always let your issuer do the converting.

If it's RCI, it will be in dollars.

Make sure you tick the correct box....some savvy cruisers even highlight this box, and remember to check that this has been done before you leave the ship, as we do hear about mistakes on the final bill.....:(

Jo.

Never, never let a cruise ship convert...always let your issuer do the converting.

Make sure you tick the correct box....some savvy cruisers even highlight this box, and remember to check that this has been done before you leave the ship, as we do hear about mistakes on the final bill.....:(

Jo.

I second everything Jo says. :)

Jo.

Thanks but to be absolutely clear is that a) or b) you are advising I should tick?

b)....;)

Underline it....check it....check your final bill....

It may well be that there's an oversight by reception- it does happen, as people on this and other forums can tell you (not necessarily with RCI).

Also, keep your receipts, and check against your final bill what you've spent. It's difficult to claim anything back once you've left the ship.

There may be a facility on your TV where you can do this. It's happened to us twice, on the same ship (not RCI)....tiny amounts, which we ignored the first time, but claimed back the second time.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Jo.

Archived