Insurance???

If you don't plan to purchase Princess coverage, a good place to start is http://www.insuremytrip.com You can compare policys there and see them side by side and also their prices and coverage. These policys also increase with your age, unlike Princess insurance. I think you are making a wise decision, as nobody should travel without insurance unless they have enough money to insure themselves against everything from a cancelled flight, cancelled cruise to a medical emergency. (in other words, have enough money to pay cash for any unforseen problems that might occur). ;)

tripinsurancestore is a great place to look for trip insurance. There is a lot of information on the website and if you call with questions they are so helpful.

I have also gotten Princess insurance. For longer trips with lots of extras, outside insurance is usually covers independantly planned air fare and other expenses.

If you don't plan to purchase Princess coverage, a good place to start is www.insuremytrip.com You can compare policys there and see them side by side and also their prices and coverage. These policys also increase with your age, unlike Princess insurance. I think you are making a wise decision, as nobody should travel without insurance unless they have enough money to insure themselves against everything from a cancelled flight, cancelled cruise to a medical emergency. (in other words, have enough money to pay cash for any unforseen problems that might occur). ;)

Is there any difference between Princess Insurance and Private Insurance? ie: Does Princess reimburse cash for a cancellation or do they give you credit for a future cruise?

Is there any difference between Princess Insurance and Private Insurance? ie: Does Princess reimburse cash for a cancellation or do they give you credit for a future cruise?

There are so many private policys out there, and each one is different so that would be very hard to compare.

As for Princess insurance, if you cancel for a covered reason, then you are refunded. If you cancel for an uncovered reason, changed your mind, couldn't go, etc, then you are given a future cruise credit in that amount instead of cash, that can be applied to another cruise. I am not sure if both policys with Princess have the cancel for any reason clause, as we have always received the better one. That would be something you would need to check on, as I have no idea.

There are two different policys with Princess, and those that qualify by their standing in the captain's circle pay for the lesser policy (which pays only 75%, where as the better policy pays 100%) but they receive the better policy at no extra cost. There is a lot of reading that needs to be done with any insurance policy. But we like Princess as the price is based on the cost of the cruise, and doesn't change with the age of the passengers. Most private policys are based on both, the cost of the cruise and the age of the passengers.

To answer your question, as others have advised, YES, YES & YES! I would never travel, even independently anymore without insurance. We booked our very 1st cruise through AAA and they had one they recommended, something like Protection Plus I think that was very reasonable and covered abolutely everything. We are using it again for our next cruise.

We have elderly parents so included an "any reason" cancellation clause in there too. We felt very secure leaving without having to sweat cancelled flights, missed cruises, medical emergencies, lost or wet luggage. I add the last one because earlier this year they had horrible storms all over California and luggage got soaked at the airports and the dock in LA.

Look around and make the best choice for yourself and traveling partners, you will feel much better when you go on your dream vacation.

I have learned from this site that ins is critical

I recently earned a trip from my company everything paid for

still bought medical coverage

I didnt use it but did not have to worry about any problems coming up while out of the country

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of purchasing travel insurance for a trip coming up this winter. Most of the policies I'm looking at have very similar terms, especially in the areas that I'm mainly concerned about having insurance for.

So my question would be, have any of you had dealings with any of the travel insurance companies that you are not happy with.:(

One thing to remember is that there isn't a "one size fits all" policy. Almost every single passenger's need and situation is different. Take a look at what isn't covered, what is, and read the fine print. Take a close look at your own health insurance policy to see if it covers international or cruise medical costs. If you're on Medicare, it doesn't cover anything outside the US, including cruise ships, but if you have a supplemental health plan, it probably does. Check to see what the cruise cancelation coverage includes. Flight delays? Weather delays? Relative sick and you don't want to leave them?

Many independent insurance policy rates are based on age so if you're older, that can be significant. The Princess policy is not based on age; it's the same cost no matter how old you are.

Pam, Thanks for reminding me to check my own health insurance...I was reasonably certain it covered international travel, but couldn't remember if I had checked. So I checked today and it does.

All the policies I'm looking at cover the same things, for varying amounts. I think travel insurance is one of those things that you really don't know what you need until you need it (and don't have it). That's why my questions now are boiling down to customer service, ease of filing a claim, and actually getting the claim paid.

I had to cancel a trip 2 years ago, and collected on both Princess Insurance and Access America (for the flights, prepaid hotel, etc.). I had no complaints about either. This is a bigger trip, and I want everything under one umbrella so that I'm only filing one claim, if something should go wrong.

• 2 months later...
If you don't plan to purchase Princess coverage, a good place to start is www.insuremytrip.com You can compare policys there and see them side by side and also their prices and coverage. These policys also increase with your age, unlike Princess insurance. I think you are making a wise decision, as nobody should travel without insurance unless they have enough money to insure themselves against everything from a cancelled flight, cancelled cruise to a medical emergency. (in other words, have enough money to pay cash for any unforseen problems that might occur). ;)

I agree, go to insuremytrip.com. I purchased insurance with Carnival and found out I could get better coverage, with the pre-existing waived within 21 days of booking cruise, with Travel Insured.

One thing to remember is that there isn't a "one size fits all" policy. Almost every single passenger's need and situation is different. Take a look at what isn't covered, what is, and read the fine print. Take a close look at your own health insurance policy to see if it covers international or cruise medical costs. If you're on Medicare, it doesn't cover anything outside the US, including cruise ships, but if you have a supplemental health plan, it probably does. Check to see what the cruise cancelation coverage includes. Flight delays? Weather delays? Relative sick and you don't want to leave them?

Many independent insurance policy rates are based on age so if you're older, that can be significant. The Princess policy is not based on age; it's the same cost no matter how old you are.

Check this out! If you are on Medicare and it doesn't pay, then why would your supplement pay? I am on Medicare and I have the best Blue Cross Supplement. From what I as told, if Medicare pays 1 penney only, Blue Cross will pick up the total 100%. Now if Medicare doesn't pay, Blue Cross won't. Tell me if I am wrong.

Archived