4k with French doors or OV with $160 OBC?

Lady_Jag

I booked a 4K obstructed view cabin on the Legend. It's the category that has French doors that open and an obstructed view somewhat between the lifeboats on the Main deck.

Pack & Go rates came out today for my cruise, though, and those P&G rates have dropped even since this morning. So much so, that an "upgrade" to a GTY OV for the 3 of us is $160 LESS than my 4k cruise rate.

I booked early saver, so I'm pretty sure in this case Carnival will let me get this upgrade plus $160 OBC if I give up my cabin and go for a GTY OV instead. The only thing is, hubby says he thinks the 4K would be "really cool," and looking at the OV rooms available, we'd actually be moving down a deck to Riviera deck.

Still, $160 is a nice chunk of change that we could make good use of on the cruise. What would you do?

Sorry , I must be living in some sort of time stream :D.

Seems very similar to one of your recent post

Yes, it's similar but an entirely different scenario.

Previously, I wanted to PAY extra to get a balcony, but was denied P&G rate. Instead, CCL offered a free OV upgrade (no OBC) but I could choose the cabin (not a gty.) I was not interested in an OV for that, having my sights set on balcony. My decision was already made, so I posted the lesson I learned re: ES and P&G rates.

As I stated, though, the rates have dropped even more since then, so now I'm presented with a sweeter deal that makes an OV a bit more appealing. Now, though, I can take advantage of the P&G drop. It's a GTY OV plus OBC, so now I have an actual decision to make and have requested opinions regarding that decision.

Clear as mud? :D

Lady Jag, if they told you that you cant price match to pack n go balcony, why do you believe they will change their mind and let you upgrade to the OV now?? Im confused too.

You said they said Pack n go is for new bookings only ..so why now does it no longer apply?

Lady Jag, if they told you that you cant price match to pack n go balcony, why do you believe they will change their mind and let you upgrade to the OV now?? Im confused too.

You said they said Pack n go is for new bookings only ..so why now does it no longer apply?

Yeah, it's a crazy scenario (a common trend with ES), but they told me I couldn't PAY the difference to upgrade using the pack and go rate. In this case, though, they WILL let me take the OV with OBC, because the Pack & Go rate is $160 LESS than what I paid for my lower category cabin. It's part of the price guarantee for Early Savers.

That's why I created a separate post to begin with. I didn't want to create confusion by referencing in a similar, yet non-applicable scenario.

Yeah, it's a crazy scenario (a common trend with ES), but they told me I couldn't PAY the difference to upgrade using the pack and go rate. In this case, though, they WILL let me take the OV with OBC, because the Pack & Go rate is $160 LESS than what I paid for my lower category cabin. It's part of the price guarantee for Early Savers.

That's why I created a separate post to begin with. I didn't want to create confusion by referencing in a similar, yet non-applicable scenario.

So someone told you something that you must know makes no logical sense, and there is no such rule.

Carnival says they will do each on a case by case basis. Because they would let you upgrade for free, doesnt mean they will agree to do it with OBC.

I think these are questions between you and your TA, since they are the ones making up rules that do not exist, such as yes you can upgrade as long as you pay nothing extra.

Hey, I would take the $160 myself ...but Id love the 4K too, like your husband.

Sounds like the TA told you you could upgrade to a OV where you picked the cabin no charge .... which isnt the same as you can upgrade to a OV gty, where you do not pick the cabin to me...but thats just what Im hearing from what you said. It has to do with if its a gty rate or not from what Iv been told.

Upgrading to the OV where you pick is always allowed, just not upgrading to Pack n gos because they are guarantees, not because you would have to pay extra, in fact, if anything, this usually influences them to agree and allow it.

Id go for it, if you are willing to give up the 4K, the worst that can happen is they say no. Your TA can fill out the form and check upgrade, rather than call them, Ken says with better results.

They claim they dont have to allow upgrades, its case by case, but from what I know the price often determines if they want to do it.

Its no slam duck, but if your TA goes to bat for you, he should be able to get it thru. At worst, you keep your cabin, or you get the OV with OBC if he gets it thru.

I booked a 4K obstructed view cabin on the Legend. It's the category that has French doors that open and an obstructed view somewhat between the lifeboats on the Main deck.

Pack & Go rates came out today for my cruise, though, and those P&G rates have dropped even since this morning. So much so, that an "upgrade" to a GTY OV for the 3 of us is $160 LESS than my 4k cruise rate.

I booked early saver, so I'm pretty sure in this case Carnival will let me get this upgrade plus $160 OBC if I give up my cabin and go for a GTY OV instead. The only thing is, hubby says he thinks the 4K would be "really cool," and looking at the OV rooms available, we'd actually be moving down a deck to Riviera deck.

Still, $160 is a nice chunk of change that we could make good use of on the cruise. What would you do?

You should be able to do this. You may get better results with your TA submitting the form with the scenario you indicate noted in the Comments section. Having said that, in other threads Dogchopper accomplished this with no problem, but NAUdebo is having problems - both look to be the same situation. Post your results!!! ken

Just my 2 cents, but if you can get the OV & $160 OBC, I would go for it. I had a 4K on the Legend, between the lifeboats, a couple of years ago. It was nice, but we didn't make as much use of the french doors as we thought. The doors were hard to open and due to bed placement couldn't be fully opened. Plus several days there were maintenance crews out there working on the life boats. I think the OV would be just as nice and you would probably get more light into the cabin without the partial obstruction of the lifeboats.

Archived