Celebrity vs RCCI

lynsteve

We are soon to be sailing our 2nd time on RCCI ( Radiance ) in Australian waters, but as the Solstice is coming down under, we are thinking of cruising on her in January 2013, Auckland,Sydney,Freo.

Is their a big difference in all elements between the 2 companies/ships, styles, service, etc etc.

Thanks in advance.:)

Stevo

We are soon to be sailing our 2nd time on RCCI ( Radiance ) in Australian waters, but as the Solstice is coming down under, we are thinking of cruising on her in January 2013, Auckland,Sydney,Freo.

Is their a big difference in all elements between the 2 companies/ships, styles, service, etc etc.

Thanks in advance.:)

Stevo

We've sailed RCCI and Celebrity a number of times and have enjoyed both. We've enjoyed the service on both lines, but I have to give a slight edge to Celebrity on the level of service...Just some nicer "touches" here and there; i.e., welcome aboard champagne, etc. Food is a very subjective thing. Having sailed on both the Radiance and Solstice I found the food to be comparable..maybe a slight edge to Celebrity. One thing we enjoyed on Celebrity was having sommaliers in the MDR - something that was eliminated on RCL several years ago.

The Radiance is a lovely ship - lots of glass and great views of the water, but is about 8 or 10 years old now, and we have enjoyed sailing on her. Solstice is very new and gorgeous. We sailed on her in January 2011 and loved the flow of the ship. The main dining room decor is exceptional and the specialty restaurants (Murano, Silk Harvest and Tuscan Grill) were outstanding.

I would have to give the edge to Solstice for overall experience, based on the cruises I've done on each. Again, this is very sujbective and only my opinion, but I've tried to be as honest in my comments as possible.

Bottom line: You really can't go wrong with either choice.

They are both good lines, but definitely different products. RCI is best for people travelling with children/teens and for 20-somethings as they have lots of venues geared towards this demographic (i.e. rock climbing, mini golf, and on their larger ships ice skating, flo rider etc.). RCI also is best for those who like a lot of staff organized activities and a lot of nightlife.

Celebrity excels in providing a more sophisticated, upscale, pampered type of experience. Not as much nightlife or organized activities, but still plenty to do and lots of nice special touches as the other poster referenced. Celebrity (especially the Solstice Class ships) really shine in the food area with such a great variety of outstanding specialty restaurants and good food (so far as food on large cruise ships go) in the free venues. Celebrity on average attracts an older demographic and also has a more restrictive smoking policy.

That is great Solstice is heading your way; Solstice and her sister ships are truly amazing vessels.

I have cruised Radiance 4 times, all lengthy cruises and I'd return to her in a heartbeat. I love all the glass looking outward at the sea-- sigh. HOWEVER the S-class ships are magnificient and yes the food choices are IMHO much better.

It sounds like a win-win situation to me. ENJOY!

I've cruised on RCI once and then once on Celebrity and I also found that there weren't any massive differences between the two of them, there were many nice touches. I liked not having to sign out towels. They were always in a stack by the pool and since it was a colder weather cruise to Alaska, they also had blankets.

There are robes in all the rooms, not just in suites like on RCI. There are chocolates on the pillows at turn down and there's always a pitcher of water in the room.

I also think that on the whole the food was better. I tried to avoid the Windjammer on RCI whenever possible but I actually quite liked the buffet or the Aquaspa Cafe on Celebrity for breakfast and lunch. However, I think that RCI definitely has the edge for desserts. I found very few that I really enjoyed and there were no coconut ranger cookies (which were a favorite of mine on my RCI cruise).

Bottom line, I pick cruises mostly based on itinerary so if RCI was doing one that was much better than Celebrity, I would take it but otherwise I would choose Celebrity.

The Radiance will be going through a refurb - so she will have the "smell" and look of a new ship. See link below for some news. Radiance is one of our favotite ships - we will be taking her from Australia all the way to Vancouver (30 day repo) in April 2012.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/royal-caribbean-radiance-splendour-of-the-seas-oasis-cruise-ship/130316/1

I've sailed Radiance and Equinox and they are very different in style and vibe. Radiance is very casual for the most part and Celebrity is a bit more sophisticated- understated. The crew dresses more formally on Celebrity- instead of the casual look on Royal. There seem to be fewer passengers on Celebrity. The only reason I think you wouldn't like it is because it is more formal. I didn't care for Royal because I missed the formal aspect.

I've cruised on RCI once and then once on Celebrity and I also found that there weren't any massive differences between the two of them, there were many nice touches. I liked not having to sign out towels. They were always in a stack by the pool and since it was a colder weather cruise to Alaska, they also had blankets.

There are robes in all the rooms, not just in suites like on RCI. There are chocolates on the pillows at turn down and there's always a pitcher of water in the room.

I also think that on the whole the food was better. I tried to avoid the Windjammer on RCI whenever possible but I actually quite liked the buffet or the Aquaspa Cafe on Celebrity for breakfast and lunch. However, I think that RCI definitely has the edge for desserts. I found very few that I really enjoyed and there were no coconut ranger cookies (which were a favorite of mine on my RCI cruise).

Bottom line, I pick cruises mostly based on itinerary so if RCI was doing one that was much better than Celebrity, I would take it but otherwise I would choose Celebrity.

Unfortunetaly, no water pitcher on Solstice Class ships.

I am facing a similar decision, my wife and I are taking our parents to alaska next year and the 3 ships in the running are Radiance, Infinity and perhaps the Star Princess, We have been on the Jewel of the Seas and loved that trip to Canada/New England. We want a similar experience, nothing too stuffy. Any thoughts on this. I know infinity is going to dry dock as well. Again we like a good mix of class, and entertainment.

Archived