early saver fares

msstarr22

Can someone explain the pro's and con's of ES? Why is it better than past guest or other discounts

Cons - cant make changes without penalty

Pros - Best price and price protection up until 48 hours before sailing

To clarify, you can't upgrade without paying a penalty fee? Like upgrading from a OV to balcony? Just curious...

You're free to upgrade without penalty (they'll always gladly take your money...) but you can not downgrade or make changes to the names assigned to the booking. As an example, you're sailing with a friend and book ES. Friend can't go for whatever reason... you're out of luck. You can't substitute another individual for friend as you could do under any other fare code with a simple $50 fee...

:)

To clarify, you can't upgrade without paying a penalty fee? Like upgrading from a OV to balcony? Just curious...

There is actually no provision for being allowed to upgrade, but Carnival tells me that they review it on a case by case basis and at the time I was discussing it, they usually allowed you to upgrade.

They have been not allowing you to necessarily upgrade to pack n go guarantees, saying only for new bookings.

Carnival says their terms say you can only price match to your category which means you cant change categorys necessarily .... upgrading is not addressed in the small print and is getting harder and harder. If you are paying extra, its usually allowed ... unless its to a gty, then its not as easy as people assume.

Im finding its better for me to stay flexible and plan to never book another ES rate, waiting for last minute deals.

I prefer to book Early Saver and my next cruise was booked with that in mind (other less than 7 day ships like Destiny or Triump were doing 7 day when I need to sail).

It's easy if there is a price drop to get onboard or reduction in amount due to ES form. I have to admit I have submited five already before final payment. (So my price drops)

I was very successful with Upgrading on ES. I was booked on the Dream (I think) in a 1A. Then due to a promotion - I paid to upgrade to a 4A. (I was still ES) Then sent in ES form because of past guest promotion and ended up with a 4H (I believe). (Which was 4A upgrade to up to 4H).

I've always used ES and so far no problems. (We did book a cruise a few days ago for next week but other than that is has always been ES) The cruise I take next month was booked ES and so far I've had 2 price drops for a total of $40 per person :D

Archived