Why is the docking port in Parenthesis?

TERRIER1

I always wondered why Oceania puts the actually port of docking or tendering secondary and in parenthesis instead of first. This is very confusing. My agenda has Paris (wich is two hours inland) as the the docking port and Honfleur in parenthesis. Not everyone wants to go to Paris so this never made sense to me.

My agenda also has Pont Avens as the primary and Concarmeau in parens. I had to call Oceania to confirm where we were actually docking since both of these towns have ports.

They put the place you are most likley to be interested in as the primary place with the actual port in parenthesis. This is very common in Europe as people looking at an intinerary would not be real keen to go to Livrono for example but Florence would be appealing.

Kirk

They put the place you are most likley to be interested in as the primary place with the actual port in parenthesis. This is very common in Europe as people looking at an intinerary would not be real keen to go to Livrono for example but Florence would be appealing.

Kirk

Ah!! Now I understand why, whatever port you are arriving at in SE England is shown as "London.". i.e, Dover, Southampton, Harwich.

Marketing...

Most of the general public have little clue as to where 99% of places are...

It might just confuse people to advertise a cruise that goes from "Harwich to Civitavecchia"...

...whereas a cruise that goes from "London to Rome" will make much more sense to them...

Don't tell people their cruise is going to visit Southampton, Le Havre, Cadiz, Villefranche, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Piraeus, Port Said and Ashdod...They will be confused and won't understand...Those are places they've never heard of and don't think they want to visit...Say instead that the cruise will visit London, Paris, Seville, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Athens, Cairo and Jerusalem...THAT they get...

It is not just Oceania...every cruise line does it that way...

Most of the general public have little clue as to where 99% of places are...

It might just confuse people to advertise a cruise that goes from "Harwich to Civitavecchia"...

...whereas a cruise that goes from "London to Rome" will make much more sense to them...

It is not just Oceania...every cruise line does it that way...

Agreed! Nice to see Bruin Steve still active on this board. He is reasonable whether you agree with him or not.

Archived