questions from first timers going on Liberty in July 2011 7 night to Mediterranean

We are a family of five (kids ages, m15, f15,m 20) going our our first RCL cruise. Any survival advice would be welcomed. We have a junior suite booked for my husband, myself and daughter, and a balcony room next to us for my boys.

I am very confused about how the dining works. (the only other cruise we went on was Norwegian to Bermuda, although we didn't love Norwegian you were able to make reservations for dinner). We are scheduled for early seating. Can you sit just the 5 of us or is it always a large table? I am not planning on going to the formal nights, as I am not interested in bringing so much extra clothing (jackets, shoes for men). We are always dressed nice, boys in dockers/polo/long sleeve shirts, sundresses for my daughter and myself. Also since this trip is so excursion heavy I don't feel we will be in the mood to be so dressed. I'm also concerned about rushing to dinner after getting back from being out all day, so I am planning on making reservations at Chops and Portofino for 4 of the nights. Should I reserve now?

Regarding excursions, what has been people's suggestions that have done this cruise? I would like to keep with RCL since we don't have experience and don't want to stress over getting back in time. My kids are pretty well educated and have a good interest in history, art and music. We also would like to experience as much local food that we can. We arrive in Toulon on Sunday and have read that most shops are closed. Is there enough to do in Aix en Provence? It seems that the French excursions are shorter which I think is good since Italy will be so intense. Is Monaco a must see or should we stick we Nice and Eze? Regarding the dress codes in the churches, how has everyone (more so the men) handled having to be in long pants. Did you wear shorts and then change? I'm anticipating it to be very hot, even a long skirt can be overwhelming. We are arriving in Barcelona on Thurs, any good advice there? Should I start booking excursions now?

Thank you in advance, it is alot to think about because naturally you want every trip to be the best it can be!

Hello, you can choose the Main Dining for set times, or do anytime Dining. We have not used MTD, but have read you can set a reservation or come in as you would at restaurant and wait to be seated. You will be seated as a family and might have others at your table if you end up at a table of 8 to 10. the tables geenrally go 4, 6 8 or 10. Since this will be your first time with RCL and not familiar with the Ports I would tend to go with the ships tours. We also like to allow ourselves a couple hours in getting back to the ship before sailing to relax, so see how long your in Port and select a tour that allows you that 2 hours. This is just our opinion. We don't like to arrive within 1 hr of departure. Ladies in churches can wear pants and have their shoulders covered, so no tank tops but a regular blouse would be fine. I would recommend you go to the Ports of Call Section ( Europe ) which is divided off by the area your visiting, there you an gain much usuful information. Have an enjoyable cruise.

We are a family of five (kids ages, m15, f15,m 20) going our our first RCL cruise. Any survival advice would be welcomed. We have a junior suite booked for my husband, myself and daughter, and a balcony room next to us for my boys.

I am very confused about how the dining works. (the only other cruise we went on was Norwegian to Bermuda, although we didn't love Norwegian you were able to make reservations for dinner). We are scheduled for early seating. Can you sit just the 5 of us or is it always a large table? I am not planning on going to the formal nights, as I am not interested in bringing so much extra clothing (jackets, shoes for men). We are always dressed nice, boys in dockers/polo/long sleeve shirts, sundresses for my daughter and myself. Also since this trip is so excursion heavy I don't feel we will be in the mood to be so dressed. I'm also concerned about rushing to dinner after getting back from being out all day, so I am planning on making reservations at Chops and Portofino for 4 of the nights. Should I reserve now?

Regarding excursions, what has been people's suggestions that have done this cruise? I would like to keep with RCL since we don't have experience and don't want to stress over getting back in time. My kids are pretty well educated and have a good interest in history, art and music. We also would like to experience as much local food that we can. We arrive in Toulon on Sunday and have read that most shops are closed. Is there enough to do in Aix en Provence? It seems that the French excursions are shorter which I think is good since Italy will be so intense. Is Monaco a must see or should we stick we Nice and Eze? Regarding the dress codes in the churches, how has everyone (more so the men) handled having to be in long pants. Did you wear shorts and then change? I'm anticipating it to be very hot, even a long skirt can be overwhelming. We are arriving in Barcelona on Thurs, any good advice there? Should I start booking excursions now?

Thank you in advance, it is alot to think about because naturally you want every trip to be the best it can be!

which week will you be going? we are also doing Liberty on July 9th. We are two couples (2 balcony rooms) leaving our teenagers at home! yay. real vacation for the adults:p. We also booked early dining as the MTD is full. I am concerned about making dinner as well, but it is later in Europe and hope we will be okay. if not, I find Windjammer to be adequate for meals too. I noticed just the other day that the reservations area on RCCL site is open now for dinner reservations. As to tours, we are do it yourself kind of people and prefer to book our own tours. The ports of call section on these boards is invaluable in my opinion. We will get to Barcelona on Friday but we have 3 days after the cruise to enjoy there as well! We have only been to Europe once. two years ago on another RCCL cruise out of Venice. it did the Greek Isles and Croatia. it was amazing! So we can't wait for this one! Hope I helped answer some of your questions.

Patti

There are many places in Europe that are closed on Sundays. But yes, there is plenty to do in Aix en Provence for the time that you will be there. Finding people that speak English (outside of the tourist office) can be difficult so if you do Aix on your own, I would be prepared to know at least a little French. Both Monaco and Eze are nice and can be done in the same day. The view from the Jardin Exotique in Eze is one you won't forget :) I wore a pair of light khaki's (for the churches) and was fine. And it was actually quite warm that day.

Archived