I go Costa because.......

Whitby Lass

We went on the Costa Magica in May 2006 to the Norweigan Fjords. The most beautiful part of the world we have ever been too. Unfortunately it was on the worst cruise line in the world. Would definitely go back to Norway, just not on Costa.

Celebrity is fabuluous....

We went on the Costa Magica in May 2006 to the Norweigan Fjords. The most beautiful part of the world we have ever been too. Unfortunately it was on the worst cruise line in the world. Would definitely go back to Norway, just not on Costa.

Celebrity is fabuluous....

And after over five years she's still moaning. Perfect user name.

Because:

• Who else gets to the Seychelles and Mauritius by Christmas via the Suez canal and the Red Sea?
  • I've never been on a Costa Cruise before and it's worth a try
  • I get to be away from home for a month and pay very little
  • There's the likelihood of meeting a wide variety of people of different nationalities

I love this thread. I was so worried about having booked: now I'm not.Thank you.

Well, I go on Costa because I think they have the best itineraries and I like the ships, especially the bigger ones over 80000 GT.

They have a better level than MSC. ;)

We will go on Costa next year because Costa Pacifica is the only ship which has an itinerary with Iceland and Spitsbergen between June and July 2012.

And I choose Costa Fortuna because she has a good fjord cruise from Warnemuende!

577f80ce81453f146bf7204fff3f1851.png

bba0d035cb421d47488f9a3ad9b2ddea.png

58407c536b77529f8010fd1674f641c3.png

01bf89f34152aeffafcb8028c23c2832.png

117f78f7658a53869d29c53b6c37dc1f.png

My first Costa cruise was this January to the Western Caribbean on the Costa Atlantica. It's like two trips in one, the Caribbean outside the ship, and Europe inside the ship!

I would love to cruise on the Costa Atlantica again. We didn't get around to having tea at the Florian Cafe.

Crusing on Costa is definitely a European experience. Americans who are too used to Carnival and such may not like it.

I somehow felt regret after booking costa and read all the negative comments.

However now i feel the other way round and damn excited about my upcoming virgin cruise experience with costa.

I almost booked the cruise with RCI but unfortunately their cruise to west med up to end of oct only (while i can only go after oct due to work commitment). I desparately look into another eastern med package (turkey,ephesus, athens) which in my personal opinion is far less glamourous than west med with RCI too for price of S$750 in their advertisement. Together with hubby and a little girl we were charged s$3600 what a silly crazy price.

Finally i found costa with fantastic price, it costs us USD1700 equivalent to abt S$2050 (coz child sails for free). It might not be the cheapest price that one may get but we are truly happy with what we got. Some more its west med that we are looking for with port of departure barcelona where we have direct flight by singapore airlines (free tickets for 3 of us coz hubby is a staff).

The hotel rates, eurorail ticket, meals, and entertaintment cant beat costa price.

After reading all the negative comment, i noted they have preset their mind with "what is right" and "what is wrong".

We used to backpacking and bring our own traveller cooker to make our own simple meal during the trip, so i dont think i will be disappointed with the food

that costa has to offer.

We have so many races here in our country and everytime (few times in a day) we board our metro, the announcement is always aired in few languages (at least 4) so what is the big deal of hearing announcement on costa for just few days.

Every country has their own style. When we did france, we dont expect ppl to speak chinese to us. When we did swiss we cant expect anyone speak english.

When we did USA we were glad they speak english.

So when the other guests sitting with you in MDR dont speak english, whats the big deal, if your spouse is travelling with you, at least you can speak to him/her. When you sailing alone, isnt it the consequence being travelling alone?

So when the other guests sitting with you in MDR dont speak english, whats the big deal, if your spouse is travelling with you, at least you can speak to him/her. When you sailing alone, isnt it the consequence being travelling alone?

In the MDR, for dinner, Costa will always place passengers together according to their mother tonque.

Sorry I haven't seen any Fosters on Costa, but take your Stubby and try the German Wheat Beer.:rolleyes:

You have the correct attitude, going without any preconceived ideas.

Have a great cruise.

Ron

Ps.Who needs spoken language, when I met DW she only spoke German and I couldn't speak a word - thank heavens for body language.;)

PS1. What do you call it when an Italian has one arm shorter than the other? A speech impediment.

Well, but there's nearly nobody on the Costa ships who cannot speak English - especially Costa's crew members can speak the most important European languages!

Well ,especially when the ships are going from Hamburg, Kiel or Warnemuende, German could be the language which is spoken very often. We do it next year from Hamburg and Warnemuende, so we will see... ;)

5f25035c57196e6cea5211f03ff81ece.png

728ef88cf6697a013c8c4782bb24d46b.png

beb81a45578b5c2ece5d2b0acd1e32ab.png

660e8dc9c3c6183d3ce964f51a418676.png

18042b48b9dc63b4f92034a7c64d8b88.png

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting informative thread, positive and negative alike! I'm suddenly interested in Costa simply because of the South American itineraries they offer! And although I'm American I prefer Europe to America in just about every way imaginable. So Costa could be a good fit for me.

In the MDR, for dinner, Costa will always place passengers together according to their mother tonque.

I wonder if I can fudge that and ask to sit with French and/or Italian-speaking people instead. Good practice!

Or when making your booking ask Costa (or your TA), tell them if you want 1st. or 2nd. sitting for dinner in MDR, how big a table 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and also what nationality.

Ron

PS: Go for Italian, much more lively and friendly:)

As an English European, Under £500 PP for a weeks cruise including Flights is a low, low price! Not many Med holiday hotels will do FB at the quality that a ship offers for that!

I have, hopefully, reset my expectations due to this and the helpful threads I have seen so far on the subject. I have previously River cruised on the Nile and very much enjoyed a cruise in the Eastern Med with Royal Caribbean, both of these offered good value for money and a real experience.

To be honest BARGAINS make me suspicious, I much prefer good value for money as bargains are unsustainable and point to there being something wrong long term.

We are on a limited budget this year due to a sucidal boiler and tank lunching itself just before we were due to book, so my hopes are:

1) The food is good for all sit downs in the Dining room (We dont generally use the buffet areas as they smack of quantity, not quality and this is neither a special experience or particularly good for your waistline.

2) Friendly, helpful service. not obseqious or cringeingly over the top, just pleasant. TOP TIP: All human relations are a two way street whether you have paid or not, To get nice back, it helps to be nice to start with!

3) To be able to people watch and soak up the atmosphere whilst nursing a drink.

4) Enjoyable entertainment in the Theatre.

5) A good gym for me to have 2 - 3 proper sessions of damage limitation. (I have lost 13 kilos in six months and there is too much temptation onboard ship)

We are on the Concordia on the 3rd October so anyone who wants to put my mind at rest or prepare me to make the best of it with regards to the above points please feel free, I would be very grateful

:)

We are on a limited budget this year due to a sucidal boiler and tank lunching itself just before we were due to book, so my hopes are:

1) The food is good for all sit downs in the Dining room (We dont generally use the buffet areas as they smack of quantity, not quality and this is neither a special experience or particularly good for your waistline.

2) Friendly, helpful service. not obseqious or cringeingly over the top, just pleasant. TOP TIP: All human relations are a two way street whether you have paid or not, To get nice back, it helps to be nice to start with!

3) To be able to people watch and soak up the atmosphere whilst nursing a drink.

4) Enjoyable entertainment in the Theatre.

5) A good gym for me to have 2 - 3 proper sessions of damage limitation. (I have lost 13 kilos in six months and there is too much temptation onboard ship)

We are on the Concordia on the 3rd October so anyone who wants to put my mind at rest or prepare me to make the best of it with regards to the above points please feel free, I would be very grateful

:)

OK, I'll give it ago:

1. Food is a very subjective subject, but just the thought of not going shopping, preparing, cooking and washing up is a great starter. You will get a 6/7 course meal with various choices at each sitting. If order something that doesn't meet your taste just have a quiet word with your waiter and he will gladly bring you something else. There is always, chicken spagetti and sald available every night.

2. The service in the MDR is one of the strong points of Costa, never had a bad waiter, they are always smiling and ready for a joke.

3. Plenty of bars and lounges to peole watch, a word of advice don't nurse your drink too long otherswise it might healthy.:)

4. Entertainment is not Costa's stong point, but enjoyable, no comedians as telling jokes in 5 languages can be a bit trying.

5. Gym and jogging course are ready and waiting.

Just go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise.

Ron

Very kind of you and I am certainly optimistic after reading that.

One final question about Breakfast and Lunch are they served in the Dining Rooms as well as the Lido(Buffet) area? A decent breakfast of porridge, yoghurt and fruit or egg on toast and a light lunch brought to me are my preferred options so I can let loose on the night.

As you have probably gathered Food and I have a Love/Hate overtly emotional relationship (love to eat it, hate the way it hangs around afterwards dragging down my BMI) so I like to plan my eating in advance and a buffet full of 'stuff' isn't a good way of doing this! (I also find it a bit frenetic and 'busy' for a holiday.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Darren,

Both breakfast and lunch are served in MDR, whereas for dinner you have reserved tables fpr the whole cruise at other times you will be shown to the next available table. So you could end up sharing several nationalities.

Ron

Darren,

Both breakfast and lunch are served in MDR, whereas for dinner you have reserved tables fpr the whole cruise at other times you will be shown to the next available table. So you could end up sharing several nationalities.

Ron

I am familiar and comfortable with that arrangement from our previous cruise experience Ron, I actually like it that way.

Good news. :cool:

I'll be sure to do a Cruise Report on my return, two weeks and counting!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read this whole thread. Interesting. Some thoughts from a relatively new cruiser:

a. It made me VERY nervous to hear people angry because someone had problems with Costa to discuss. It is necessary to give constructive [and it was] criticism for any business to evaluate and adjust.

b. It seems like loyalty is very high among regular users. That is a good base for any business.

c. In the USA, the only Costa advertising I have seen showed obvious Italian references aimed clearly at Italian Americans. Made those of us not of Italian decent feel less wanted.

I absolutely love the look of Costa iteneraries. The east African ones are better than any moderately priced line, and I WANT to go there! But it's does seem to indicate to me that Costa only really loves their Italian guests and others are just tolerated. I hope not, because I am still considering that trip.

I love people. People from everywhere. I want to eventually go everywhere I can to meet them. Cruising is a unique opportunity to do that. Hope to join you sometime soon.

Doug

I have read this whole thread. Interesting. Some thoughts from a relatively new cruiser:

a. It made me VERY nervous to hear people angry because someone had problems with Costa to discuss. It is necessary to give constructive [and it was] criticism for any business to evaluate and adjust.

b. It seems like loyalty is very high among regular users. That is a good base for any business.

c. In the USA, the only Costa advertising I have seen showed obvious Italian references aimed clearly at Italian Americans. Made those of us not of Italian decent feel less wanted.

I absolutely love the look of Costa iteneraries. The east African ones are better than any moderately priced line, and I WANT to go there! But it's does seem to indicate to me that Costa only really loves their Italian guests and others are just tolerated. I hope not, because I am still considering that trip.

I love people. People from everywhere. I want to eventually go everywhere I can to meet them. Cruising is a unique opportunity to do that. Hope to join you sometime soon.

Doug

Hi Doug

We are Aussies and we love Costa to bits, we are about to head off again in a month. We have always felt very very welcome, although the English speaking guests are way out numbered, we dont mind though we find that not having to listen to people complain (because we can't understand them) is quite relaxing and the pepole watching on Costa is a blast. All that being said Costa do have an English speaking host or hostess on board to help out if required.

The only little thing that did frustrate us at first is quite often out shore tours would be cancelled due to not enough English speaking bookings and other languages where full, but now we just hop on any tour as Costa seem to always send a staff memeber along also.

We have learnt not to read all the negative hype and go along with an open mind and a open heart and have a great time on OUR well eraned holiday.

Cheers

Donna

I'm planning my Dec 7th cruiseon the Serena. It goes to the Holy Land. This is about the only place I haven't been. I've seen all 7continents, with almost 900 days at sea. I been on most cruise lines, just never Costa. Reading this thread, I think the cruise will be what I make of it. I checked the boards and didn't see anyone booked on this sailing.

Archived