Flying with your kids

thekings23

I have never had this experience with Delta in the last 5 yrs flying with them the colour coding shows they cost more...

Not if you do it at the gate. Delta is the easiest airline out there to work with.

Okay, a bit off topic and I apologize. I am flying to Miami in the morning for our Glory cruise, flying Delta. We are taking our 2 and 4 year old sons. When I printed our boarding passes off they separated our seats, with my 2 year old being several rows away from myself and my wife.

I called Delta customer service and they gave me "there is nothing I can do, kick rocks" ...

What am I missing here? You have three seats together and one separate. This isn't an issue of sitting a 2 year old by himself. This is a question of which parent gets to sit with the 2 kids and which parent sits alone. The fact that the 2-year old's name is on the boarding pass for the single seat is irrelevant. Any of you can sit in any of the seats.

Relax and have a good time. Enjoy your vacation.

A year and a half ago, we took our 4 kids (ages 3-8 at the time) to WDW. We had a connecting flight in Chicago. Until we were en route, I didn't notice that our seats on the Chicago to Orlando flight were random, with none being together. Once we landed, we immediately proceeded to our next gate as I was concerned about your very situation happening to us (especially our busy 3-year-old DS). The attendant appeared visibly stressed and the guy on front of me was literally yelling at her about his child's seat being so far from his seat.

When it was my turn, I politely explained my concerns to the attendant, and she told me the plane was oversold, so it didn't look very likely that we'd be remotely close to each other (including our 3-year-old). My heart hit the floor, and I told her we were going to get a bite to eat and to just please do the best she could.

When we got back to our gate a half hour later, my family was being paged to come to the counter. We were completely baffled, and when I got to the desk, the same attendant I had spoken to earlier about our situation thanked me for being polite and kind about our request. She said almost everyone else ranted and raved and yelled at her. Because we didn't she upgraded all 6 of us to First Class seated TOGETHER!!! :-). Too bad we had already eaten because the food looked amazing! We made sure to tell our kids NOT to get used to flying First Class! :-)

What am I missing here? You have three seats together and one separate. This isn't an issue of sitting a 2 year old by himself. This is a question of which parent gets to sit with the 2 kids and which parent sits alone. The fact that the 2-year old's name is on the boarding pass for the single seat is irrelevant. Any of you can sit in any of the seats.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Why on earth would you sit with your wife and leave a 2 year old alone? You should sit alone and let your children sit with their mom! Really! It's not that difficult is it?

Ditto..

I'm in the same situation booked on Delta flights to Jacksonville. All four of us are actually scattered through out the plan. If people don't move, they can have fun sitting next to a two and four year old. :D

I had this situation on Delta in August with my two kids when I booked late. The seat maps did not show any seats and when I checked in we were all assigned separate seats. The gate agents would not do anything to try to get us together. They told us to ask passengers around us once we boarded, which is just a pain in the neck. The passengers were friendly about it and it was resolved without the assistance of the flight attendant.

On the second flight, same thing. Board the plane and ask passengers around us. The friendly passengers around us helped us out, but one poor woman had a toddler and the passengers would not switch for her because they did not want the middle seat. The flight attendants assisted and finally convinced somebody.

I had a similar situation arise with us seated apart on American and it was resolved with the gate agent calling a couple passengers up to the counter and asking if they minded moving around. Much more efficient that way - plus I appreciated it. The "FU" attitude from Delta will not soon be forgotten.

Archived