Bolongo Beach

I've booked my wedding through Royal Romance for October 11 in St. Thomas. They have informed me that the only beach location I can use for my ceremony is Bolongo Bay Beach. Has anyone been to, heard of, gotten married at this location? Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

marylou90

Marylou90,

We were just at Bolongo Beach last week. We were very disappointed. We only lasted about 30 minutes and then went over to St. John. I guess it depends what you're looking for. The beach is very small, which is ok. We were expecting the type of beach you see in Caribbean photos, the turquoise water, white sand. Bolongo Beach wasn't like that. The water was dark and the sand was typical of sand we get here in Vancouver, dark and grainy. It just didn't meet our expectations. Others might have different opinions.

Tracy

We were married at Bolongo Beach last October and it was fabulous. The water is definetly torquise, the sand white and we had the best wedding coordinator named Terry and the minister was Sam Wray. He made us feel like he knew us our whole life. The resort is really fun with lots of action. Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Royal Romance told me they use Bolongo Beach in St Thomas because it is private. All beaches are public and very crowded. Our wedding was beautiful because the resort has a speacial place set up for weddings that is private for us and our guests. That is most likely why they offer that beach.

Marylou,

I'd be glad to check out this beach when we are there in April as my husband is looking for a private beach that is not too crowded, where he can wear his red speedo. If it looks nice (the beach), I'd love to come to your wedding in October!

Dege

nycruiserbruiser,

Thanks for putting me at ease! Do you have any pictures from your wedding online that I could look at?

I am also working with Terry! What type of reception did you book? Did you have a lot of guests sailing with you?

Mandygirl - as nycruiserbruiser stated, they only offer this option because it is private.

Dege,

That'd be great if you could check it out. Also, I would love to have you attend my wedding in October (as long as your husband promises not to wear his speedo!)

You are very lucky to be working with Terry. She is awesome!!!! She always returned my calls and emails within one or two days.:D Make sure and ask for Reverend Sam. He gave us the wedding of a lifetime. You get a free private meeting with him to customize your vow options. We had 18 guests and we had a Caribbean reception immediately following our ceremony. The food was fabulous. We also had a limo with a driver named Boyce who took us on a private tour after we left Bolongo. I have his name because he gave me his business card. I'm, sorry I don't have any pictures online to share, but they have a website you can look at. Congratulations,

Rachel

You are very lucky to be working with Terry. She is awesome!!!! She always returned my calls and emails within one or two days.:D Make sure and ask for Reverend Sam. He gave us the wedding of a lifetime. You get a free private meeting with him to customize your vow options. We had 18 guests and we had a Caribbean reception immediately following our ceremony. The food was fabulous. We also had a limo with a driver named Boyce who took us on a private tour after we left Bolongo. I have his name because he gave me his business card. I'm, sorry I don't have any pictures online to share, but they have a website you can look at. Congratulations,

Rachel

What exactly does the Caribbean reception include? Terry has not given me any reception information yet. What was the price per person? Did you arrange transportation for your guests thru Royal Romance? We are having approx. 50 guests.

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll continue to have questions for you!

Marylou90

Thanks - that makes sense. I was surprised reading the initial post of being offered only one beach out of the many beautiful beaches in the area - but I see why now. I knew all the beaches in the USVI were public per law... so the resort property must be situated with the beach where one must go through the (private) property to get to the (public) beach. We've rented a dinghy on St John to go beach hopping - you can access any beach from water since not cutting through private property. Haven't done that on St Thomas though and was not familiar with Bolongo.

When we married there were two other people on 'our' beach (Hawksnest Beach, St John) with a total of five ships in port. Choosing a less touristy beach is definitely the way to go!

Here's more info about St Thomas beaches (and Bolongo is on page two I believe):

http://www.*****/stthomas/beaches_stt/

Have a terrific wedding!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
I've booked my wedding through Royal Romance for October 11 in St. Thomas. They have informed me that the only beach location I can use for my ceremony is Bolongo Bay Beach. Has anyone been to, heard of, gotten married at this location? Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

marylou90

Hi Marylou90-

I'm getting married next week at Bolongo Beach through Royal Romance. I would be more then happy to e-mail you pictures when we get back so you can see what the place looks like. We have several people with digital cameras so if you provide me with your e-mail address I will send you some. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Allison

Allison let us all know how it goes. I am getting married at Bolongo through Royal Romance on May 10th sailing on the Navigator. I am using Terry in St Thomas, too. I am so excited. I have never cruised before, but she has made me feel great about this! I am counting down the days. What are you wearing? Did Terry make a hair appointment for you on the ship? Did you buy the hand painted gift totes for your guests? I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I just returned from our cruise and stopped at Bolongo. I took about 30 shots of the location (and a wedding that took place) for MaryLou. Once I figure out how to post them, I'll send a link if anyone is interested.

I just returned from my wedding cruise and it was fabulous! We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. To answer everyone's questions about the wedding it was absolutley beautiful! We worked with Terry, who was great! We met her at the courthouse and unfortunatley she couldn't be at our wedding since she had to stay at the courthouse to wait for other wedding couples. She had one of her assistants at the beach to make sure everything ran smoothly. We had a total of 6 guests sailing with us, our parents, and Rich's sister and her husband. We had the cake and champange reception because we all wanted time to shop in St. Thomas. I wore a strapless white sundress I ordered from J.Crew and Rich wore a white linen shirt and linen pants. Terry scheduled my hair appointment for that morning. She told me she could schedule two other appointments if I needed. The first night on the boat the salon was offering free hair consultations so the four of us went and our mothers and my soon to be sister-in-law booked their own appointments. Our appointments were for 8:30am and we were done in plenty of time.

The beach was gorgeous! Our pictures look like postcards! Our photographer, Veronica was wonderful! The water was a beautiful aqua and the sun was shining. It was 103 degrees but you'd never know since there was a breeze from the water. I will post a link with pictures tonight (I need some help from my husband- he's very good with computers!) and Mary I will be sure to e-mail you as well.

As for the hand painted beach totes, we didn't purchase them. Instead we put together gift bags for each couple that we gave out at dinner the night before. We included things we thought they could use the day of the wedding like chapstick with sunblock, battery powered hand held fans, glass bottles with our names and date to fill with sand from the beach, bubbles, etc.

Good Luck and Congratulations to All!!!! I'll post pictures tonight. Let me know if you have more questions!

Allison

• 4 weeks later...

I emailed MaryLou directly but I thought I'd let everyone else know as well......I was married in St. Thomas in Dec.04. It was fabulous. No major complaints about anything. The few minor 'oops' were just that, Minor. We were there to have a great time and I didn't care if it poured down rain.

Terry in St. Thomas is fabulous. She had heard about a few minor problems that we had sent an email that was waiting for me when we returned home. She's giving us a free vow renewal if we return to St.Thomas.

Life is short girls! My mom died 7 months before my wedding which made things hard enough, so I wasn't going to let the minor things ruin my special day. After all, Mom had an unbelievable rainbow waiting for us when we pulled into St. Thomas, a gorgeous clear sky during the cermony, and then a sprinkle of rain JUST as the Reverend mentioned her spirit. THAT'S THE THINGS YOU REMEMBER!

Enjoy & Good luck!

• 9 months later...
I just returned from my wedding cruise and it was fabulous! We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. To answer everyone's questions about the wedding it was absolutley beautiful! We worked with Terry, who was great! We met her at the courthouse and unfortunatley she couldn't be at our wedding since she had to stay at the courthouse to wait for other wedding couples. She had one of her assistants at the beach to make sure everything ran smoothly. We had a total of 6 guests sailing with us, our parents, and Rich's sister and her husband. We had the cake and champange reception because we all wanted time to shop in St. Thomas. I wore a strapless white sundress I ordered from J.Crew and Rich wore a white linen shirt and linen pants. Terry scheduled my hair appointment for that morning. She told me she could schedule two other appointments if I needed. The first night on the boat the salon was offering free hair consultations so the four of us went and our mothers and my soon to be sister-in-law booked their own appointments. Our appointments were for 8:30am and we were done in plenty of time.

The beach was gorgeous! Our pictures look like postcards! Our photographer, Veronica was wonderful! The water was a beautiful aqua and the sun was shining. It was 103 degrees but you'd never know since there was a breeze from the water. I will post a link with pictures tonight (I need some help from my husband- he's very good with computers!) and Mary I will be sure to e-mail you as well.

As for the hand painted beach totes, we didn't purchase them. Instead we put together gift bags for each couple that we gave out at dinner the night before. We included things we thought they could use the day of the wedding like chapstick with sunblock, battery powered hand held fans, glass bottles with our names and date to fill with sand from the beach, bubbles, etc.

Good Luck and Congratulations to All!!!! I'll post pictures tonight. Let me know if you have more questions!

Allison

Hi - We are getting married at Bolongo Beach on April 11th. We're sailing wth 15 friends/family aboard the Caribbean Princess. We just received our confirmation last week, and would love to see pics of Bolongo.

thanks - canddk

cristilangley@sbcglobal.net

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Marylou90-

I'm getting married next week at Bolongo Beach through Royal Romance. I would be more then happy to e-mail you pictures when we get back so you can see what the place looks like. We have several people with digital cameras so if you provide me with your e-mail address I will send you some. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Allison

Hi Allison,

I just booked my Royal Romance wedding for Nov. 16th in St. Thomas and will have it at Bolongo Beach. I would love to see your pictures as well if you would not mind sending me some. My email address is gwhitso@netscape.net. Also, I am a little nervous with RCCL as they told me that they would not contact me until 2 weeks prior to my sailing date.. that makes me so nervous. has anyone else experienced this as well? Any recommendations. They would not assign a coordinator until then..

I hope you have a fabulous time and great weather!!!

Thanks, Ginger

• 1 month later...

Archived