FREEDOM--think we decided

hlb76

I think we decided finally to go on the Freedom 6 day in Oct. We even found that our friends plan to join us. I am so excited to get booked. We just have to wait a bit to make sure everyone can get the time off.

We are also going to see if my oldest son can bring a friend along as his younger brother best friends family will now be traveling w/ us. I just want to confirm that we can not do 5 in a cabin on Freedom. This will be our first time bringing a extra kid and first time booking 2 rooms. I'm a little nervous about all of this.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on to what to expect on this ship? We have sailed Liberty so I imagine it will be close to the same.

What is the deposit amount we will need to get booked?

What is the port like? Similar to Miami?

How far is it from FLL to port? We are also debating flying into MIA?

I know we are sailing storm season and no one can predict when one will arise but doing the Key West-Grand Cayman-Ocho Rios route if a storm comes up what is the likelihood we will find a place to be rerouted?

Thanks for any useful info you can provide!!

I think we decided finally to go on the Freedom 6 day in Oct. We even found that our friends plan to join us. I am so excited to get booked. We just have to wait a bit to make sure everyone can get the time off.

We are also going to see if my oldest son can bring a friend along as his younger brother best friends family will now be traveling w/ us. I just want to confirm that we can not do 5 in a cabin on Freedom. This will be our first time bringing a extra kid and first time booking 2 rooms. I'm a little nervous about all of this.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on to what to expect on this ship? We have sailed Liberty so I imagine it will be close to the same. We were on the Freedom last summer with the same ports. The Freedom is the same exact layout as the Liberty.

What is the deposit amount we will need to get booked? I believe $250 per person.

What is the port like? Similar to Miami? Miami port is newer. The port doesn't make a difference to me. Just get me on the ship!

How far is it from FLL to port? We are also debating flying into MIA? The port is a $10-$12 cab ride from the airport. It is very close. It is usually cheaper to fly into FLL than MIA. I always fly into FLL even when sailing out of Miami.

I know we are sailing storm season and no one can predict when one will arise but doing the Key West-Grand Cayman-Ocho Rios route if a storm comes up what is the likelihood we will find a place to be rerouted? If a storm happens, your ship will be rerouted somewhere else. Maybe Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean. Just depends what happens and the location.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,,,,,,

I can't believe the deposit is so much. Since we buy cheapo rooms paying the deposit is about like paying in full:eek:

I know! I think the deposits are high too. I wish they would maybe offer an option of a lower deposit that is non-refundable and a higher deposit that is refundable. On our last cruise, the deposit was more than 1/2 the total fare for all of us. Ugh.

I just want to confirm that we can not do 5 in a cabin on Freedom. This will be our first time bringing a extra kid and first time booking 2 rooms.

Only ships built year 2000 and before allow 5 to a regular quad, so you can look at the date on Freedom on cruisedeckplans and see its a newer ship, so no you cannot put 5 in a quad on Freedom.

I can confirm this for you.

Its only 10 minutes from FLL to the port.

We did a 6 day cruise on the Freedom in January 2009 and really liked it. Loved the layout of the pool area and the big screen.

Brenda

I am on the Freedom in June and from what I can tell it is very simular from the Liberty I was on last year.

Am I correct?

the good news about deposit is you have smaller balance to pay later.

Good point but I was hoping to be able to pay little by little and pay it off not almost full balance right away. I don't think the 2 and 3 pass rate is 250 for our sailing.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on to what to expect on this ship? We have sailed Liberty so I imagine it will be close to the same.

What is the deposit amount we will need to get booked?

What is the port like? Similar to Miami?

I know we are sailing storm season and no one can predict when one will arise but doing the Key West-Grand Cayman-Ocho Rios route if a storm comes up what is the likelihood we will find a place to be rerouted?

We did the Freedom last Nov, 2010. We were re-routed to Cozumel instead of Ocho Rios due to a hurricane, so it can happen.

By the way, I made a movie of our trip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCC4Nwt0a8U

As well as a random tour of the ship here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j683OiQFc5M

Oliver

We did this same cruise last June and loved it (see review in my signature).

FLL and POM are about 30 minutes apart. To me, there is no real difference between the two ports. At POM your luggage comes out on an airport style turn table after the cruise, while at FLL the luggage is grouped by zone number. The other difference is POM has the machines where you scan your passport to get a piece of paper which you then take to another counter to get your sail and sign card. I don't think FLL has this feature. We never got the passport scan to work properly and needed help from a Carnival rep so to us, this is not a great perk!

I don't think you can put 5 in a cabin, but I do not know for sure. I'm sure your TA or Carnival Rep could tell you. I don't think I'd want to try to put 5 in a cabin unless it was one of large suites!:)

Have a wonderful time. You will love the ship and the cruise. One of our favorite things was to listen to the Asian rock band...they had a guitarist who was soooo talented!

Archived