Insurance Question

mcampb2811

In the past we have bought trip insurance (through a third party vendor). This time however, I have not done so since our rates for the cabin were a great deal and we don't have to fly to get there. We figured we wouldn't be out much if the ship didn't sail for some reason. However, now with reading about all of these medical evacs and such, should we get the trip insurance for that reason? I have regular health insurance through a major US provider, but didn't think about an emergency medical evac. The insurance will run us about 30 a person, but I would like to put that to an excursion or something else, if it truly is not needed.

I always buy travel insurance particularly for the medical evacuation and outside the US medical coverage. I've never (knock on wood) needed it, but I wouldn't chance it because I don't have the cash to essentially self-insure if something happened (I also travel now with my 60-something mom and I buy her policy as well for the same reason). I just bought the policies for our 2011 cruise and in reviewing policies my #1 concerns was the amount of medical evac and medical coverage provided, not the lost baggage or trip interruption/cancellation parts.

I always buy travel insurance particularly for the medical evacuation and outside the US medical coverage. I've never (knock on wood) needed it, but I wouldn't chance it because I don't have the cash to essentially self-insure if something happened (I also travel now with my 60-something mom and I buy her policy as well for the same reason). I just bought the policies for our 2011 cruise and in reviewing policies my #1 concerns was the amount of medical evac and medical coverage provided, not the lost baggage or trip interruption/cancellation parts.

Thanks for the info.

Why don't you look at some of the "low-end" 3rd party Policies that should have slightly better coverage than Carnival's and probably quite a bit less: TravelInsured Lite (or Lite Expanded), Travelguard Essential ?

Check with your Health Insurance specifically for Out-of-Country Coverage including Transportation, and check your CC used tyo book the Cruise for (usually minimal) Cancellation/Interruption and Baggage Loss/damage/delay coverages.

ken

Why don't you look at some of the "low-end" 3rd party Policies that should have slightly better coverage than Carnival's and probably quite a bit less: TravelInsured Lite (or Lite Expanded), Travelguard Essential ?

Check with your Health Insurance specifically for Out-of-Country Coverage including Transportation, and check your CC used tyo book the Cruise for (usually minimal) Cancellation/Interruption and Baggage Loss/damage/delay coverages.

ken

Thanks I'll check them out.

Also check out the Access America Basic policy - usually very reasonable. Access America Comprehensive is great for famiies because the kids 16 and under are insured for free when traveling with parents or grandparents.

Thanks everyone. We were able to find a policy just for medevac and oversees medical through Access America. It only cost 27 a person and my son was free so all together with fees it was 60 for all three of us.

Archived