Cigars

mwoody1967

Cruising in May that goes to Key West and Nassau. Where can I find some good cuban cigars? On a side not I would like to purchase and empty cigar box---any ideas where I could go to purchase that?

Have you checked the Ports of call boards for this.. you may find some good info from locals there;)

Cruising in May that goes to Key West and Nassau. Where can I find some good cuban cigars? On a side not I would like to purchase and empty cigar box---any ideas where I could go to purchase that?

Well obviously you will NOT find a cuban cigar in Key West, as they are still illegal in the US.

In Nassau there is a place at Atlantis that sells authenitic cubans.

But for how overpriced they are, you might as well give them your first born.

99% of the "authentic" cubans offered in town for realistic cuban prices are fakes. (learned my lesson on my first cruise to Nassau. Worst cigar I ever had.)

Personally I would recommend a trip to the Graycliff hotel in Nassau, which has a cigar factory there.

They have a wonderful lounge there to purchase and enjoy a few sticks and you can watch them rolling the cigars while you are there.

http://www.graycliff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=284

Hope that helps.

Enjoy whatever you choose to smoke. (even if you wind up going cheap and get a fake.;) )

Bill

No where in Key West but there are local hand-made cigars available. In Nassau, other than overpriced cubans at Atlantis, no where. One of the others recommended Graycliffs, excellent place with very good hand-mades.

There is a thread called "cigar aficionados" that has several lists of reputable dealers throughout the Carib and Mexico that may help. Do a search on "cuban cigars" or cigar aficionados for more info.

I would be leery of even purchasing the cuban box and putting cigars in it and bringing it thru customs, since its illegal to bring them back to the states. People usually remove the bands if they bought cubans (and who knows if they were real in the first place).

I would be leery of even purchasing the cuban box and putting cigars in it and bringing it thru customs, since its illegal to bring them back to the states. People usually remove the bands if they bought cubans (and who knows if they were real in the first place).

According to the Treasury Dept websites, you can not legally purchase any product originating in Cuba, that includes empty cigar boxes. If you remove the bands from the cigars, the Customs website indicates they consider them contraband and will seize them if they do not have bands on from a non-cuban country or you do not have a bill of sale indicating they are non-cuban products. Here's the website, read under cuban cigars.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/

Search on Cuba or cuban products and scroll down to the articles.

Archived