How Cunard should promote its QM2 Transatlantic Crossings

Cruise Liner Fan

Unless you are crazy like I am and the Transat is the vacation. And I might add a very relaxing one to boot. I am upset because there is only one (I think) B2B TA being offered this year from the US.

Denise

The back2back NY-Southampton-NY QM2 transatlantic crossing this year is in August.Next year I think it is in June. Regards,Jerry

But Cunard should market those QM2 transatlantic crossings to people like me who will never for whatever reason want to board a jet plane.And I live in the USA where Cunard never advertises on TV,Radio and in the newspaper.Just last night I did see on TV a commercial for Carnival Cruise Line.Both Cunard and Carnival Cruise Line are owned by the Carnival Corporation. Regards,Jerry

I think in the current economic climate, advertising budgets are linited and closely scrutinized. I agree with you that outside travel publications, Cunard does not really advertise in the USA. I think when the recovery gains more steam, Cunard should consider doing some advertising but to promote the line, not specific cruises.

The best cruise line TV commercial I ever saw aired for several years during the early to mid 80's and, to the best of my knowledge, only ran once a week on Saturday night right after "The Love Boat" TV show for NCL. The shot was of the sea from the air and sailing from left to right on the center of the screen was the (then) flagship Norway. The camera did not move and after the Norway disappeared, only her wake was visible for a second or two and then faded to black where the NCL logo appeared along with where they sailed and their contact information. No soundtrack or dialog — a powerful advertisement IMHO.

It looks to me as if Cunard has to market these crossing as a loss leader, witness the low fares they are current charging (around $700 or so).

Hi StarFlyr. According to cunard.com -Voyage Search -Transatlantic Crossing -there are 96 Transatlantic Crossings scheduled between now and March 2013. So if these voyages are a loss leader (and yes, I have also noticed fares being reduced), where's the lead? Could you please explain your theory. Thanks-S.

I think in the current economic climate, advertising budgets are linited and closely scrutinized. I agree with you that outside travel publications, Cunard does not really advertise in the USA. I think when the recovery gains more steam, Cunard should consider doing some advertising but to promote the line, not specific cruises.

The best cruise line TV commercial I ever saw aired for several years during the early to mid 80's and, to the best of my knowledge, only ran once a week on Saturday night right after "The Love Boat" TV show for NCL. The shot was of the sea from the air and sailing from left to right on the center of the screen was the (then) flagship Norway. The camera did not move and after the Norway disappeared, only her wake was visible for a second or two and then faded to black where the NCL logo appeared along with where they sailed and their contact information. No soundtrack or dialog — a powerful advertisement IMHO.

PeaSea, I can't see CCL advertising Cunard in the USA because to do so would compete against other CCL brands that are USA based. The Cunard brand is Southampton based, dedicated to growing the European market; that is where Cunard is focused. In the USA, advertising for Cunard has a fairly limited target of past passengers, and an emphasis on past history to attract new passengers.

Will past passengers from the USA remain loyal customers as the focus is redirected? Will the new target European audience grow? How long will Cunard be able to attract based on 'iconic' branding, relying on reputation? S.

PeaSea, I can't see CCL advertising Cunard in the USA because to do so would compete against other CCL brands that are USA based. The Cunard brand is Southampton based, dedicated to growing the European market; that is where Cunard is focused. In the USA, advertising for Cunard has a fairly limited target of past passengers, and an emphasis on past history to attract new passengers.

Will past passengers from the USA remain loyal customers as the focus is redirected? Will the new target European audience grow? How long will Cunard be able to attract based on 'iconic' branding, relying on reputation? S.

There is no reason why Cunard cannot be advertised in the US - it does not compete directly with any of Carnival Corp's US based brands - probably the closest is HAL - but Cunard's pitch is quite distinctive in the market.

The main reason Cunard does not do more is probably because - i) they are already brilliant at getting free publicity - which other line could have dressed up three ships meeting into a 'Royal Rendezvous' with all the attendant free coverage? and ii) They probably already have pretty good awareness among their target (which is small) market. Direct mail to past passengers (of whom there are millions) is going to be much more effective than 'broadcast' media be it print or TV, reaching many people who will have no interest in a Cunard voyage.

As you pointed out up-thread there are many ex-NY sailings - the fact that QM2's ex-NY winter Caribbean series (a one off while she wasn't doing a World Cruise IIRC) has not been continued should not be construed as 'Cunard abandoning the US'.

Salacia, I did not mean Carnival Corp. should advertise on behalf of Cunard but Cunard advertise in the USA for USA residents to grow Cunard market share. CCL is an eclectic collection of different cruise lines that function, so to speak, as separate and independent companies.

I totally agree with you that advertising in the US based on the "iconic" glory days of cruising or Cunard's storied history is getting a little old and a new marketing strategy needs to be developed to attract new passengers.

The economies of nations will always be cyclical and some will be up and others down so, when the timing is right, a global marketing strategy should be developed to ensure past passengers are happy and new passengers are "taking the plunge" and hopefully becoming loyal past passengers to grow and flourish the Cunard brand.

I totally agree with you that advertising in the US based on the "iconic" glory days of cruising or Cunard's storied history is getting a little old and a new marketing strategy needs to be developed to attract new passengers.

Nope.

It is what Cunard is.

Perhaps they need to refresh the execution, but "the "iconic" glory days of cruising or Cunard's storied history" is Cunard's strategy and they'd be bonkers to change it.

Nope.

It is what Cunard is.

Perhaps they need to refresh the execution, but "the "iconic" glory days of cruising or Cunard's storied history" is Cunard's strategy and they'd be bonkers to change it.

The Cunard fleet of the Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World (http://www.cunard.com/About-Cunard-Line/A-Message-From-The-President/)

Three ships in the fleet, one of which is an ocean liner.

Glory days of voyages long past make for good reading. But in reality, that ship has long since sailed. Yes, I agree, there is a respect for the history of Cunarders, but we're dealing with the here and now. Marketing should reflect current conditions, not rely on past history.

Marketing should reflect current conditions, not rely on past history.

But they are marketing their history - its what Cunard's all about. If you want rock climbing walls or flo riders, go somewhere else. If you want 'ocean liner tradition' sail on Cunard. Frankly, Carnival have been a lot better at portfolio management and brand differentiation than Trafalgar house ever were.....

Back in 1998 after the James Cameron Titanic movie was released, Cunard did notice that there was a big increase of passengers booking transatlantic crossings aboard the QE2 and Cunard then in 1998 did credit the movie for the large increase for transatlantic crossing bookings,I have read that Cunard even did show the movie in the QE2's theater to the passengers.Carnival Corp. Chairman Micky Arison did also mention the movie Titanic as the inspiration to build the Cunard Line's new Flagship the QM2.Next year for the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic tragedy there will be a Titanic 6 hour mini-series for television that will be broadcast in the UK and the rest of Europe and in the United States and Canada.And filming for the TV mini-series start next month.And even for 100th Anniversary next year James Cameron's Titanic will be re-released to theaters in 3-D.Well there is hope that the TV mini-series and the re-release of Cameron's Titanic in 3-D will inspire more and more people to book transatlantic crossings aboard the QM2. Regards,Jerry

Archived