Driving from Boston to Cape Liberty

sallycruiser

We will be driving from the Boston area to Cape Liberty for a cruise in June. Has anyone done this? It will take us about 4.5 hours. We want to stop overnight half or 3/4 way there.. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stop and hotels, etc.

Sally - where exactly are you coming from in the Boston area? What day of the week would you be leaving? We usually do the reverse - go to a family event outside NY, stay over, and drive back home the next day. We're doing this in May and I bid on a 3* hotel on Hotwire in Stamford and got the Hampton Inn for $75 incl tax on a Saturday night.

Staying in the Stamford area would position you well to set off for Cape Liberty about 9 am the next day. If you're near I95, you want to take I287 West to the Hutchinson River Pkwy South to the Cross County Parkway (Exit 15). Get in the center left lane which will become the far left lane on a lane "scrunch". This will lead you onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy south. This becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line. Take the GW Bridge staying center left to get onto I80 to the NJ Turnpike South. Follow the first sign to the Lincoln Tunnel which will take you onto the eastern spur of the turnpike. Stay on the turnpike (don't get off at the next Lincoln Tunnel sign) and follow the signs to exit 14a Bayonne.

Rather than taking I-95, take the Pike to I-84, then stop for the night around Danbury. From there it is an easy 45-60 minute drive down I-684 to either the Saw Mill Tnpk (which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy, and ends right at the pier entrance), or the Hutchinson River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy to Saw Mill Tnpk. That way you come into the city on the west side, and avoid all the congestion on 95 and getting across the city. Plenty of places to stay around Danbury, depending on your preference for $ and fancy or simple.

Rather than taking I-95, take the Pike to I-84, then stop for the night around Danbury. From there it is an easy 45-60 minute drive down I-684 to either the Saw Mill Tnpk (which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy, and ends right at the pier entrance), or the Hutchinson River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy to Saw Mill Tnpk. That way you come into the city on the west side, and avoid all the congestion on 95 and getting across the city. Plenty of places to stay around Danbury, depending on your preference for $ and fancy or simple.

The OP is going to Cape Liberty in Bayonne. Your directions are for the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Yes - the OP is going to Bayonne. She wants to take the GW Bridge from the Henry Hudson Parkway and get in the middle left lane. Follow the signs to the NJ turnpike and then follow the first sign to the Lincoln Tunnel to get on the eastern spur. Then stay on the turnpike south (don't get off at the 2nd Lincoln Tunnel sign) and follow the signs to exit 14 A.

I'm not a big fan of either I84 west from Hartford to Danbury (2 lane road + trucks) or I95 in general. I prefer taking I91 south from Hartford and getting off at exit 17 W. Cross Parkway which becomes the Merritt Pkwy. However, most of the hotels are along I95, so you can cut over from the Merritt at Milford CT. and stay between Milford and Greenwich. Then cut back to the Merritt at I287 to take the cars only route through NY. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TAKE I95 THROUGH NYC!

We still don't know where the OP is coming from in Boston and that will affect the initial choice of a route.

Our Garmin gets us anywhere. Or an app for your phone? We don't have a smartphone. Chances are you can even order an app for your specific travel plan/route.

We love our Garmin too & it always gets us where we want to go BUT......... It doesn't always get us there by the best route. I'll take 138east's directions over the Garmin any day of the week!

Archived