Celebrity Select Dining Reservations - Do you make them?

sailtheoceanblue

Hi,

We will be using Select Dining during our cruise on the Solstice next month and we noticed that we have the option of making advance reservations if we wish to try and secure a specific dining time/table size.

Has anyone used this feature and is it really necessary?

We plan to use select dining between 5:30 - 7:30 PM .. depending upon what we've done that day (ports of call, sea day etc) What has been your normal wait times once you arrive at the dining room for select dining?

Does anyone believe there is any real benefit from making select dining/table size reservations in advance?

Thanks!

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

For me, the sole purpose of taking Select Dining is to not choose a dining time. We have Select Dining on our next cruise and plan to arrive when we choose based on our days activities and evening plans. I'm sure there are others who prefer a specific dining time that does not conform to the traditional dining times and will reserve a time that will best fit their needs.

Happy cruising!

Good question. We are trying Select Dining for the first time and have wondered the same thing. According the Celebrity website, no reservations are required, and you can arrive between 6 PM and 9:30 PM. However, the site says that reservations are strongly recommended.

I would like to know if others have had problems with Select Dining if no reservations were made.

We've used Select dining a couple of times. We made reservations the first couple of nights. It didn't seem to make a difference. Of course we were always willing to sit at a larger table. From then on we never made reservations and it has worked out fine even on a 16 night TA.

The one night we found it made a difference was on one formal night when lobster was served. That particular evening, many passengers choose to dine in the main dining room rather than in one of the specialty restaurants, and we had a wait of about an hour. On other evenings, we would arrive at 7:00 to 7:30, and we were seated immediately at a table for four. So, it's wise to make reservations on formal nights.

Good question. We are trying Select Dining for the first time and have wondered the same thing. According the Celebrity website, no reservations are required, and you can arrive between 6 PM and 9:30 PM. However, the site says that reservations are strongly recommended.

I would like to know if others have had problems with Select Dining if no reservations were made.

faq_answers_hdr.gif

spacer.gif

Are reservations required for Celebrity Select Dining?

Subject: Celebrity Select Dining

Reservations are not required but are strongly recommended as they will provide you the best opportunity to dine at your preferred dining time with your preferred party size.

We only do select dining now.

This last cruise we made reservations on 2 evenings (of 14), but we didn't make it to the dining room "on time" anyway, so we've decided that, for us, we can just flow and not look at the clock as frequently if we just "show up".

We usually request a table for two, and have had no problem getting a great table every night. Sometimes we strike up a conversation with the people sitting near us. Sometimes we just converse together. It's wonderful to not have to be on a timetable, or force yourself to be "sociable" and keep up a banter, especially after a day of sightseeing - which is what we cruise for.

When you are in an enclosed area with 1,500 -2,000 other people, it's simple to meet people: You just start to talk to someone nearby wherever you are on board. I don't understand people who need to sit with the same strangers every night of the cruise as a venue to get to know someone. Just start talking to the person next to you wherever you are,. You don't have to be seated at a table with a napkin on your lap to begin a conversation with someone. Hey, I walk our dog every day and I always wind up talking to a few folks that I meet during the walk.

We make select dining reservations for every night for 7:15pm. We have been seated before folks who just walked up, so it can make a difference. If you come at another time, they aren't going to tell you "you missed your reservation...eat somewhere else :)....

I think it prioritizes you for seating....they don't actually hold seats for you.

We did Select Dining on 10 of the 11 nights on the Equinox in January. The only time there was a wait more than a minute or two was on the first night and I attribute that to everyone being new on the ship. We found that it could get busy when the early show gets out. We tended to arrive either around 7:30 or after 8:15 and found no problems. I would agree with others that making a reservation takes away the flexibility.

The only problem we had was getting a relatively early seating on the first formal night. There was only one show that night. We needed a table for 4 and had to wait 'til 8-8:30. My advise, if there is only one show, make a res, otherwise you should be fine.

We always take select dining and, at first, made reservations for several days. Eventually we were told that it wasn't necessary, since we tend to eat early, before it gets crowded (around 7 pm), and we like tables for just the 2 of us. We have always gotten an immediate table of the configuration we've chosen. It works out well. If we were traveling with a group, we would make reservations just to be sure.

I recently sailed on Solstice and used the online booking facility. We wanted a 7pm meal time and for that reason booked every day. There were a couple of sea days when we walked straight in and avoided a line of about 12-20 people. I would use it next time.

We've used Select dining a couple of times. We made reservations the first couple of nights. It didn't seem to make a difference. Of course we were always willing to sit at a larger table. From then on we never made reservations and it has worked out fine even on a 16 night TA.

Hi -- we're with you on seating for a large table; we enjoy meeting new people (we have plenty of opportunities for just the two of us). Have you found that this preference, or willingness, to sit at large tables is the way to eliminate wait times in the dining room. We have always done traditional dining at second seating -- however, our itinerary to Europe is very active and this might be too late.

Would appreciate any information

port 345

As far as I can tell, there is no disadvantage in reserving a time. They don't reserve a table for you....it just gets you a "priority" in getting seated, if there is a line. If you don't show, it doesn't foul them up at all...

• 1 year later...

If you have a cabin that is not a suite, make reservations for that time. It 's likely to be busy at that time. If you have a suite, you generally receive 2 comp dinners to a specialty restaurant and your room butler will make your reservation. You could asked to be sat at 6:53 or 7:11 and you table will be ready. We ate @ Murano, Silk Harvest & Tuscan Grill twice. Everything was excellent, the best - a 3 way tie. If you have a suite, everyone is at your beck and call. Rightfully so, there about triple to ten times the $$$ of a standard cabin. On the other hand, we had a CC cabin on another cruise, we didn't get the best seats and had to be there on time. Still a great meal, but not the Suite Sweet Experience.

Onboard the Century we would typically make a reservation a couple of hours in advance. We got to know the Maitre D and were always given the same great table for two with our favorite sommelier, and we never had to wait. We were not in a suite and always received exceptional service.

Archived