Child Traveling - Necessary Documentation . . .

littlelovely21

My husband and I will be traveling next March on a Caribbean 7 night cruise with RCI and we plan on taking my 10 yo son with us this time around. My son has his biological father's last name and I have taken the last name of my new husband. In the divorce decree from my son's biological father, I was granted sole conservatorship and I am listed as the only parent allowed to apply for a passport for my son. Now having given you all that information, what documentation is necessary to have my son travel with my new husband and myself? Would the divorce decree and both my birth certificate and his birth certificate suffice or do I need to apply for a passport for my son? I've read conflicting posts/threads when the parent's and child's last name are different. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

As "sole conservatorship" means sole custody under the Texas Family Code, I am guessing you do not need the biological dad's permission for pretty much anything.

If this is a closed loop cruise, you will need whatever paperwork you have giving you sole custody, and your child's original birth certificate.

As "sole conservatorship" means sole custody under the Texas Family Code, I am guessing you do not need the biological dad's permission for pretty much anything.

If this is a closed loop cruise, you will need whatever paperwork you have giving you sole custody, and your child's original birth certificate.

Yes, we are leaving from Galveston and returning to Galveston. So I should be safe with my original divorce decree showing I have sole custody and his birth certificate? He wouldn't need a passport since I do not have any photo ID for him, how does that work? My DH had said he read somewhere that if my last name differed from my son's that I would have to get a passport for him. :confused: Is that true?

My DH had said he read somewhere that if my last name differed from my son's that I would have to get a passport for him. :confused: Is that true?

No, this is not true, and if you think about it, it makes no sense. Why would a passport prove he was your child? Children don't need photo IDs. If you have his birth certificate, it will show your name. Your divorce papers, I assume, have the information showing you have sole custody. That should be all you need.

No, this is not true, and if you think about it, it makes no sense. Why would a passport prove he was your child? Children don't need photo IDs. If you have his birth certificate, it will show your name. Your divorce papers, I assume, have the information showing you have sole custody. That should be all you need.

Makes sense, thank you for your help ;)

contact the cruise line directly. I was told to bring a letter of consent with me, especially on Canadian cruises but they did ask me for this on Norwegian and it was a Caribbean cruise. They actually took a long time inspecting my paperwork.

So whatever the cruise line asks for- bring it.

This is what he had read on RDI's website under domestic traveling (closed loop cruises):

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

But what gets me is the "(if required)" that leaves me to think if it's not required for me to have a passport, then that means my son wouldn't need one either, right? Ah heck I may just have to call, explain the various last names I've had (maiden, 1st married, 2nd married), the sole custody issue and see what they say.

This is what he had read on RDI's website under domestic traveling (closed loop cruises):

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

But what gets me is the "(if required)" that leaves me to think if it's not required for me to have a passport, then that means my son wouldn't need one either, right? Ah heck I may just have to call, explain the various last names I've had (maiden, 1st married, 2nd married), the sole custody issue and see what they say.

It's not required for your closed loop cruise. You will not always get accurate infomation from cruise line representatives who have usually never been on a cruise, and who are not immigration officers.

You have a long time before your cruise. It's good to take care of these things, but you can worry too much. Maybe it would be easier for you to call the Family Law advisor for your closest court. You can file for a motion allowing you to take your child out-of-the country, and probably do this all yourself at a minimum cost.

The irritating thing about all of this is that you'll go to all this work, and no one will ever ask for the paperwork. I've always been asked for it for Canda and Mexico, never for the Caribbean or Europe, though I've always had it.

contact the cruise line directly. I was told to bring a letter of consent with me, especially on Canadian cruises but they did ask me for this on Norwegian and it was a Caribbean cruise. They actually took a long time inspecting my paperwork.

So whatever the cruise line asks for- bring it.

In this case, the divorce decreeing granting full and sole custody/conservatorship with the biological father having no legal rights regarding travel would be used in place of the letter you were required to have. Thank you so much for giving a first-hand account as someone who was required to show proof that you had the authority to take your child out of the country. Too often members will chime in with, "I've never been asked for it, so you won't need it" or "Why would they question you? You're the child's parent." Those answers will not help if a parent or guardian is one of the ones an agent decides to question and to require they provide the notarized letter or custody decree or (sadly happens in some cases) death certificate.

beachchick

I contacted RCI and they said to bring the divorce decree (which does state I have sole custody and do not need permission to travel out of the country with my child as well as any and all documents bridging the gaps from my maiden name to my current name. So I'll just take everything and be prepared should they ask for it. Thank you all for all the suggestions and advice! :)

Just a quick add-on, It would probably be a good idea (better safe than sorry) to put together a paper package for your new husband as well. A auhtorization letter from you allowing him to travel with your son together with a copy of the decree/birth certificates. This can be used in case of an emergency where he may have to travel without you.

Also, while a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise, in the case of a ship breakdown, medical emergency or something else happens, you may end up having to fly back from another country - thus requiring a passport. If that happended you could probably eventually get get around that requirement, but it would be easier with one. IMO, it's worth the $ and the small hassle of getting a passport.

Just a quick add-on, It would probably be a good idea (better safe than sorry) to put together a paper package for your new husband as well. A auhtorization letter from you allowing him to travel with your son together with a copy of the decree/birth certificates. This can be used in case of an emergency where he may have to travel without you.

Also, while a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise, in the case of a ship breakdown, medical emergency or something else happens, you may end up having to fly back from another country - thus requiring a passport. If that happended you could probably eventually get get around that requirement, but it would be easier with one. IMO, it's worth the $ and the small hassle of getting a passport.

Thank you for that suggestion, I probably will make an extra copy of the documents and my DH can carry them in his "port bag" just in case (God forbid) anything were to happen while we are traveling, he would have all the needed documentation from me giving him permission to travel with my son.

Great enjoy!!! And your child is lucky to have such a loving carrying parent.

:o Thank you for the compliment. We are very excited to cruise with him this time around and I can't wait to see his face when we get on board and he sees everything there is to do there!:D

Archived