Cash & cameras

klampetts

I (gasp!) have a zipper area on my small camera holder and cram our S&S cards and cash in there, then leave it with my stuff on the beach. Of course, I stay in the water close to where I can observe my belongings. I take 50 bucks or less as me and DH are pretty cheap and try not to go overboard with spending while in port.

I also don't carry a lot of cash for a beach day. Probably $50-75 tops...Just enough money to take a taxi, rent a chairs, grab a bite to eat...etc...All cash, s&s card, credit card...etc...stays on me in the water...I have a waterproof pouch that can be slung around my neck.

As far as the camera, I usually just take a cheap disposable for beach days or my oldest digital with a blank memory card and leave it on the beach. If it gets stolen it's not the end of the world, since my good camera and memory card(s) full of pictures stay on the ship.

If you are traveling with a group though, you can probably take turns getting in the water and watching belongings. If not, I wouldn't leave anything of major value behind. Either leave it on the ship or take it in the water with you.

I would never leave my valuables on the beach unless a friend was specifically watching my bag. If someone takes your stuff, how do you get back to the boat?

I bought this for $7:

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Dry-Alligator-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302545627&sr=8-1

I put into it: My ship cards, my cash, a photo copy of my passport (just in case), and a credit card. I then put it in my swimsuit pocket and don't think about it again. It keeps everything dry and is small.

For my camera, I put it in a dicapac and around my wrist, or I leave it in my backpack. I dont bring my SLR if I plan on leaving my bag somewhere unattended

What about the activities - parasailing, kayaking.... are they cash only?

In my experience, everything that you prepay for can be done with credit cards. Things that I buy on the spot, I prefer to use cash.

I was in St Martin two days ago and used a credit card at the beach bar. My bank is showing a charge $5 more than my receipt, so now I have to deal with that. Cash is always easier :)

I would never leave my valuables on the beach unless a friend was specifically watching my bag. If someone takes your stuff, how do you get back to the boat?

I bought this for $7:

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Dry-Alligator-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302545627&sr=8-1

I put into it: My ship cards, my cash, a photo copy of my passport (just in case), and a credit card. I then put it in my swimsuit pocket and don't think about it again. It keeps everything dry and is small.

For my camera, I put it in a dicapac and around my wrist, or I leave it in my backpack. I dont bring my SLR if I plan on leaving my bag somewhere unattended

Love that pack. I got mine at REI for the same price. I half-hitch it to my bathing suit top. The half-hitch the ends so it don't look too funny.

I carry an Olympus Tough camera that can go into the water. Hitched onto my top the same way. I cannot swim to the bottom of the pool, no way am I gonna swim to the bottom of the ocean.:o:p

I only use cash in ports. I typically take $100, my sail and sign card and my driver's license. I keep them in a waterproof case on a lanyard around my neck. My daughter's in charge of the camera.

I would never use a credit card. Not only can you have the problem listed above, what if it's stolen, the currency conversion charges to your card, etc. Cash is easier.

If I'm doing the beach thing I'd have a waterprooof camera to take siwmming with me.

Money, CC, and cruise card would go in a little ziplock, wouldn't matter as they coudl also get wet. You can also buy a dry wallet online or at places like REI too.

What do you do with your cash and cameras when swimming at the beaches. I'm guessing you have to carry a good sum of $ to cover all the expenses.

We both have a waterproof case that goes aroung the waist and a waterproof camera. It makes life easier. We used to take a disposable or none at all and missed out on some great shots. Even if the money gets a little wet, I have never had trouble using it.

We use a travel safe (PacSafe)

jB2oGkHHKzTUznL9TkkMxz4c94pfcZcp53K2zS9iCJidtnip4jXetWRiOV-JEs_3zgiCzy7eOAvl6iTAfogY689bckB7Hv9lSutlGhY7VhdY9zJ9t5YEFobz2HLUu4Wo2_IANkDJF2uUkcAA

I did change the lock and got one with a combination so I don't have to keep up with a key. We lock it to a lounge chair (or lock 2 together), put it up in the umbrella frame, lock it to a rail on a boat during a snorkeling excursion, use it in hotels with no safe, even use it in my car (hooked to the OMG :eek: bar), holds my GPS and iPod so I can leave the top down.

Love that pack. I got mine at REI for the same price. I half-hitch it to my bathing suit top. The half-hitch the ends so it don't look too funny.

I carry an Olympus Tough camera that can go into the water. Hitched onto my top the same way. I cannot swim to the bottom of the pool, no way am I gonna swim to the bottom of the ocean.:o:p

One of the best purchases we bought was our Olympus Tough!! Bought it last year for our cruise (I have a Nikon D60 which is my "baby" but I needed something for the water and for the beach)....Loved how so many people were concered about my camera going in the water!! Takes great pics and video too!!! My daughter loved taking videos of going down the waterslides on the Dream!!!

Archived