Getting your hair done the day of the wedding

I have noticed many people say that they have someone come to their hotel room on the morning of their embarkment day wedding.

Isn't possible to list the hairstylist as a non sailing guest, and have her come to your cabin with you and do your hair there. If I get my hair done at 8am, it's not going to hold for 5 plus hours.

Just a thought....is this possible to do??

I have noticed many people say that they have someone come to their hotel room on the morning of their embarkment day wedding.

Isn't possible to list the hairstylist as a non sailing guest, and have her come to your cabin with you and do your hair there. If I get my hair done at 8am, it's not going to hold for 5 plus hours.

Just a thought....is this possible to do??

Hi,

Yes, but I wouldn't advise it. Time goes by very fast once you get aboard. You should have your makeup and hair done before you board. A good hair stylist knows what to use on your hair to make it stay for as long as you need it to stay. I had the same concern about my hair and makeup too. But, once I had my trial runs with my hair and makeup artist my mind was put at ease. My hair and makeup looked great all through the night on my wedding day!

Things to consider...

You will not know what time your wedding starts until a 2-3 weeks before your wedding date so you will be taking a huge gamble. You may not have time to get it done before your ceremony. Often you don't even get aboard until 11:15-11:30 am depending on how long security takes to clear the ship prior to boarding. What if your wedding is the first one of the day starting at 12:30?

Also, Remember, your photographer will be knocking on the door asking to come in and take shots of you before the ceremony. That took 20 minutes or so posing in the room. If you are buying the video too, the videographer will also come in and do your pre-wedding interview. You should be completely ready at least 30 minutes before your ceremony time. Your coordinator will come get you 15 minutes before.

Hope this helps! :)

Hmm.. I've never thought of that. What I was worried about was, how do you know how long to schedule an appointment for when you're travelling down to meet the ship and you've never met your hairstylist or anything?

New2cruisen, I notice you sailed on the Dream last month for your wedding cruise. I am getting married on the dream next year - where did you get your hair done at?

There are a lot of brides here that have used hair stylists in the port area's. I would suggest getting a trial of what you want at home and take lots of pics! This way they know what you want that day.

I think my hair was done for 3+ hours before I even started my makeup, I was also married in port though and wanted time to get some RS and relax with my MOH, mom and BF.

Hmm.. I've never thought of that. What I was worried about was, how do you know how long to schedule an appointment for when you're travelling down to meet the ship and you've never met your hairstylist or anything?

New2cruisen, I notice you sailed on the Dream last month for your wedding cruise. I am getting married on the dream next year - where did you get your hair done at?

Awesome! Yes, my wedding was 3/26/11 on embarkation day. Your gonna love the Dream! I was married in the Song Jazz Club and my reception was in the Disco. I just started composing my review and will be posting it soon.

I used Professional Elegance. Tiffany did a fantastic job! Her prices were very reasonable and will travel to you (in Florida) for your trial and to your hotel the morning of your wedding. She knows exactly how much time she will need to style your hair so don't worry about that. She did both my hair and makeup as well as my Matron of honor in 2 1/2 hours!

I highly recommend you do a trial run. She suggests doing it one month before the wedding and showing her a few photos of the style you would like her to do for you. If a trial isn't possible for you its ok, she did a completely different style on my Matron of Honor than the one done in trial and it turned out great too. I just did an internet search for bridal hair and found a bunch of hair style photos. Her website professionalelegance.com had a lot of photos as well. If you contact her tell her Ann Chubb (3/26/11) says hello! :) Oh and if you decide to use her, don't wait to put the deposit down to hold your spot!

If you have any more questions about the Dream let me know!

As the others have said, there is definitely not enough time to have a hairstylist come and do your hair on the ship. Also remember that some stylists will make you pay for all of her time on the ship, so we're also talking about having to now pay for her meal and her time. They know what hairstyles will hold though, they're professionals. My stylist even told me I shouldn't have my hair down and curled because it would never hold as long as I need it to, so I am getting fake hair curled instead. I believe my hairstylist is coming to the hotel at 7am, so just make sure to give yourself plenty of time and it'll be fine.

Awesome! Yes, my wedding was 3/26/11 on embarkation day. Your gonna love the Dream! I was married in the Song Jazz Club and my reception was in the Disco. I just started composing my review and will be posting it soon.

I used Professional Elegance. Tiffany did a fantastic job! Her prices were very reasonable and will travel to you (in Florida) for your trial and to your hotel the morning of your wedding. She knows exactly how much time she will need to style your hair so don't worry about that. She did both my hair and makeup as well as my Matron of honor in 2 1/2 hours!

I highly recommend you do a trial run. She suggests doing it one month before the wedding and showing her a few photos of the style you would like her to do for you. If a trial isn't possible for you its ok, she did a completely different style on my Matron of Honor than the one done in trial and it turned out great too. I just did an internet search for bridal hair and found a bunch of hair style photos. Her website professionalelegance.com had a lot of photos as well. If you contact her tell her Ann Chubb (3/26/11) says hello! :) Oh and if you decide to use her, don't wait to put the deposit down to hold your spot!

If you have any more questions about the Dream let me know!

THANKS for that website!!!! I am getting married on day 2 of my cruise, so will use the salon, but i found 2 hair styles that i LOVE and have emailed to myself to look it!!!

Also, i see a carnival bride on there too. See some pictures from a review on here :-)

Many of the outside vendors knew the time constraints for cruise ship brides... With most of their experience, they know how long it will take for hair and makeup - especially if you send them inspirational pictures beforehand!! I did a lot of research online and settled with one that I was happy with. And since we are going to be in Tampa 2 days early I'm doing a trial run on the Friday night. I've sent the stylist pictures of my inspiration as well as myself, my dress and the other ladies getting their hair done (my mom, sister, flower girl, MOH, and 1 BM)

For a finish time of 8:30 am (we are doing a chinese tea ceremony first before leaving for the port at 9:30 am) we are starting at 5:30 am - so 3 hours, 3 stylists, 6 people getting worked on)

I'm confident since I'm doing an updo with airbrush makeup my hair and makeup will last.

Many of the outside vendors knew the time constraints for cruise ship brides... With most of their experience, they know how long it will take for hair and makeup - especially if you send them inspirational pictures beforehand!! I did a lot of research online and settled with one that I was happy with. And since we are going to be in Tampa 2 days early I'm doing a trial run on the Friday night. I've sent the stylist pictures of my inspiration as well as myself, my dress and the other ladies getting their hair done (my mom, sister, flower girl, MOH, and 1 BM)

For a finish time of 8:30 am (we are doing a chinese tea ceremony first before leaving for the port at 9:30 am) we are starting at 5:30 am - so 3 hours, 3 stylists, 6 people getting worked on)

I'm confident since I'm doing an updo with airbrush makeup my hair and makeup will last.

I'm not a big make up person, so sorry if this if a stupid question.... But what's the difference between makeup and airbrush makeup?

As the others have said, there is definitely not enough time to have a hairstylist come and do your hair on the ship. Also remember that some stylists will make you pay for all of her time on the ship, so we're also talking about having to now pay for her meal and her time. They know what hairstyles will hold though, they're professionals. My stylist even told me I shouldn't have my hair down and curled because it would never hold as long as I need it to, so I am getting fake hair curled instead. I believe my hairstylist is coming to the hotel at 7am, so just make sure to give yourself plenty of time and it'll be fine.

I want my hair only partially up, so i was hoping to get the back all curled.....but what do you mean....fake curled hair?? There's no way I could do that. My hair color is a red that is too hard to duplicate with fake hair.

I wouldn't have her stay for the wedding or reception, so it wouldn't cost me more to have her come on. I don't know...more to think about. If we get on by 11, and the wedding is at 1, that should enough time, but like I said...more to think about. I guess if aim going to wear my hair ALL the way up, (which I didn't want to do ) I can get get it done in the am,

I want my hair only partially up, so i was hoping to get the back all curled.....but what do you mean....fake curled hair?? There's no way I could do that. My hair color is a red that is too hard to duplicate with fake hair.

I wouldn't have her stay for the wedding or reception, so it wouldn't cost me more to have her come on. I don't know...more to think about. If we get on by 11, and the wedding is at 1, that should enough time, but like I said...more to think about. I guess if aim going to wear my hair ALL the way up, (which I didn't want to do ) I can get get it done in the am,

If you have someone come on the ship as a non-sailing guest for your party, I am pretty sure you have to include them on count for food. I guess that's something you'd have to ask the coordinator. Also not sure how the ship handles guests leaving early and all.

I don't know how curly your hair is, but mine is very straight and curls just would not hold for more than an hour or two. She said that was pretty typical, especially with humidity. We even tried doing it during my trial and the curls were gone within 30 minutes, even with tons of hairspray.

I'm not a big make up person, so sorry if this if a stupid question.... But what's the difference between makeup and airbrush makeup?

the best answer I found on the wedding bee boards:

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/traditional-vs-airbrush-makeup

essentially, airbrush makeup is literally airbrushed onto your skin in fine layers - which means it is supposed to last longer and not wear off like normal foundation can. Regular makeup they use the sponge / brush / applicator to apply it - meaning the thickness can vary and it can wear off more easily.

Only the foundation is airbrushed, eye makeup etc, is still traditionally applied.

Hi,

Yes, but I wouldn't advise it. Time goes by very fast once you get aboard. You should have your makeup and hair done before you board. A good hair stylist knows what to use on your hair to make it stay for as long as you need it to stay. I had the same concern about my hair and makeup too. But, once I had my trial runs with my hair and makeup artist my mind was put at ease. My hair and makeup looked great all through the night on my wedding day!

Things to consider...

You will not know what time your wedding starts until a 2-3 weeks before your wedding date so you will be taking a huge gamble. You may not have time to get it done before your ceremony. Often you don't even get aboard until 11:15-11:30 am depending on how long security takes to clear the ship prior to boarding. What if your wedding is the first one of the day starting at 12:30?

Also, Remember, your photographer will be knocking on the door asking to come in and take shots of you before the ceremony. That took 20 minutes or so posing in the room. If you are buying the video too, the videographer will also come in and do your pre-wedding interview. You should be completely ready at least 30 minutes before your ceremony time. Your coordinator will come get you 15 minutes before.

Hope this helps! :)

Hey New 2,

I saw your pictures with your hair and make-up by Tiffany. You looked absolutely gorgeous. Did she use traditional make-up or the air brush kind. Didn't mean to steal this thread, I thought the answer might help others too. Thanks much!

Hey New 2,

I saw your pictures with your hair and make-up by Tiffany. You looked absolutely gorgeous. Did she use traditional make-up or the air brush kind. Didn't mean to steal this thread, I thought the answer might help others too. Thanks much!

She used MAC brand traditional make-up. Once it was all applied she sprayed my face with something (clear) that was supposed to set the makeup and make it last longer. Well, as I stated earlier, my makeup held up through the night so it worked! :)

I just posted my review with a link to my wedding photos if you would like to see better close ups.

THANKS for that website!!!! I am getting married on day 2 of my cruise, so will use the salon, but i found 2 hair styles that i LOVE and have emailed to myself to look it!!!

Also, i see a carnival bride on there too. See some pictures from a review on here :-)

Your welcome! So glad I could help!

• 4 months later...

After meeting with my stylist last night, we've decided to do my hair and my bridal party's hair the morning of, at the hotel, before we leave for the terminals. I'm fortunate enough to have my stylist and her hubby going on the cruise with us and 60 of our friends and family. This way any touch ups can be done once we get on board and we are not rushing to get everyone's hair done.

Best of luck!!

Just to repeat what the ladies have said before, there is definitely no time to do hair on the ship. I think I was in my room for a total of 30 mins, it took about 2 hours to do my hair, 1 hour for makeup. I had the stylist and make up artist come at 7, she did just me and my MOH, we were done around 10. I made sure all of my stuff was packed and ready so I could leave right away and be at the ship by 10:30 (though that didn't happen due to a car accident near the hotel...).

I understand what everyone is saying, but makeup by marz has told me she is used to working simultaneously with the makeup artist and if they only had an hour, it would be ok, as they are used to working with time constraints.

My whole purpose in this is so my fiancé doesn't see my hair and makeup done!! Who really wants that!! So if I can avoid it, I'm going to. That's part of it all....him seeing you walk down the aisle looking a way he's never seen you before!!

I understand what everyone is saying, but makeup by marz has told me she is used to working simultaneously with the makeup artist and if they only had an hour, it would be ok, as they are used to working with time constraints.

My whole purpose in this is so my fiancé doesn't see my hair and makeup done!! Who really wants that!! So if I can avoid it, I'm going to. That's part of it all....him seeing you walk down the aisle looking a way he's never seen you before!!

You could also ask the coordinator to keep you and the groom separated before the wedding, it's a lot easier than you'd think. We didn't do it because the important part to me was him not seeing the dress, but I barely saw him. There were so many people at the terminal and it goes by so fast, it would have been not problem avoiding him for the morning.

Another thing to be aware of is you can't predict how much time you'll have before the wedding. I have heard from some girls that if there is a delay, they were given maybe 20 minutes before the wedding started due to weather, mechanical problems, guest problems, etc. I had 30 minutes which was enough time to get my dress on and take 15 minutes to calm down. If you have any lacing or a more complicated dress it'll take 30 minutes to get it on. I was a bridesmaid a few years ago and it took us forever to tie her dress. So I hope all the brides here have zippers lol

Your hair stylist and makeup artist also can't leave the cruise ship until the wedding is over and all your guests are ready to leave. I know my stylist would have charged me that time she had to stay.

You can get your hair and makeup done at the hotel that morning and keep your groom from seeing you. I did it and it was easy. First I stayed in a different room the night before so he couldn't see me at all til I came down the isle. Then we took different cars to the terminal. My groom rode the hotel shuttle and I took a cab. I was sure to leave 5-10 minutes after the shuttle and had cab driver pull around to side of hotel, just in case the shuttle was late leaving. Then once at the terminal the coordinator made sure we were kept apart so he couldn't see me. We even managed to keep me hidden from guests!

Please head the warnings from us past brides. You are not guaranteed any certain amount of time before your ceremony. Waiting til you get aboard is very risky. Too many possibilities of delays. Besides, if your delayed your stylists will be rushed to get done. Why would you want your hair and makeup rushed?

Also, keep in mind, you will want to be photo ready a minimum of 25 minutes before the ceremony so the photographer and videographer (who comes to your room) will be able to take photos and tape in your cabin.

I had my wedding coordinator ask the ship salon manager to open up the salon to do my hair on board. I did a partial updo. She did a great job. Took about 45 minutes. I had my makeup done will we waited in the terminal. I had plenty of time. Happy cruising!

Archived