Driving from Puerto Vallarta to Suyulita

Jenbo57

Has anyone rented a car and done this? How long did it take? How was the highway?

I know that people say to never rent a car in Mexico; however, looking at a map, it looks like this is a main highway and I can't imagine we'd have any problems. Still, I'd love input from people who've done it.

Thanks!

We have done it in our own car, since we live here part of the year.

It is about 1 1/2 hr. drive. After Bucerias the highway is 2 lane only and a quite busy road with curves.

On that highway you make a left, there is a small sign.

In Sayulita one of the bridges still is damaged due to highwater last summer.

It is passable if the river is still dry. Otherwise you need to park there and walk a little more.

The beach has changed a little also due to that highwater in the river last summer. Last year the beach was nicer.

In general Sayulita is a nice charming mexican seaside town.

• 1 month later...

We have taken the bus from P.V. to Sayulita. We went in the morning after breakfast on the cruise ship. It only takes about an hour to ride there.. The buses to Sayulita leave about 20 minutes apart. We caught the bus in front of WalMart and it will drop you off in the town next to the washed out bridge. It is the end of the line. They turn around and come back to P.V. As I can recall, the bus fare was about $2.50. They take either pesos or Dollars. We spent the day on the beach in front of one of the restaurants watching the surfers. We each had a chaise lounge, a small table, and an umbrella. We had a nice leisurely day drinking cervezas and eating a good tasty Mexican lunch. We made it back to the cruise ship later that afternoon in plenty of time. We even had the same bus driver take us back that brought us there.

Bob

Or if you go approx 1 mile further y'll hit another town called San Francisco or another name for it is San Poncho thats's also quite nice, there is a hotel there that will let you use their facilties and lounges just make sure you buy some drinks and/or food. The food is also quite good.

The hotel name is Costa Azul Adventure Resort.

We have taken the bus from P.V. to Sayulita. We went in the morning after breakfast on the cruise ship. It only takes about an hour to ride there.. The buses to Sayulita leave about 20 minutes apart. We caught the bus in front of WalMart and it will drop you off in the town next to the washed out bridge. It is the end of the line. They turn around and come back to P.V. As I can recall, the bus fare was about $2.50. They take either pesos or Dollars. We spent the day on the beach in front of one of the restaurants watching the surfers. We each had a chaise lounge, a small table, and an umbrella. We had a nice leisurely day drinking cervezas and eating a good tasty Mexican lunch. We made it back to the cruise ship later that afternoon in plenty of time. We even had the same bus driver take us back that brought us there.

Bob

Fantastic...thanks for that information! We love taking the bus in PV, but have never ventured that far; should be interesting! ;)

Or if you go approx 1 mile further y'll hit another town called San Francisco or another name for it is San Poncho thats's also quite nice, there is a hotel there that will let you use their facilties and lounges just make sure you buy some drinks and/or food. The food is also quite good.

The hotel name is Costa Azul Adventure Resort.

Yay...more great ideas. Many thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

My brother went to Sayulita last winter and loved it. He is suggesting we go there while we're in PV. We're there from 9 - 6 (ship time) and am wondering if anyone can suggest the best way we might get there with 6 adults and 4 kids.

Thanks!

(P.S. I am a newbie cruiser and am wondering how it all works getting from the ship to the dock and back. For instance, if we're at a port like PV from 9 - 6. What is the actual time we'll get to the dock and when do we need to plan on being back at the dock to board the ship. I finally understand ship time/local time. Ship time:PST, Cabo:MST, and PV:CST, but I am unfamiliar with the process. Thanks in advance!)

With that many persons arrange a van to pick you up at the terminal and drive around. In general costs will be around US$ 40.- per hout per van.

Unfortunately the board doesnot allow me to give you names.

Also at the terminal you will often find certified guides with vans offering their services.

They will take carew you will be back in time - often about 1 hr. before departure or earlier.

Check shipstimes here:

http://puertodevallarta.com.mx/Documentos/Cal2011.pdf

(or change 2011 into 2012 if you sail next year.)

• 1 month later...

Bob

I have done the same thing and it is perfectly safe and it is a nice place to visit. I loved the beach in Sayulita and watching the surfers there also. :)

Ine, do you have knowledge of Ibarra Tours? I think that's who we're going to have take us to Sayulita. Only one review on Trip Advisor; I'm hoping someone who frequents PV has good things to say about them.

No I donot know them, so I cannot tell you about them. I know various tourguides/operators in Vallarta, which are often named on tripadvisor. If they are certified you will be o.k.

Archived