? Re: dinner seatings

MaggieCruzin'

Greetings

I have a question about dinner. I am going on the Mercury 3-30-05. I received my package and it says dining:main. What does that mean? When do I know what time we are going to eat? Do I wait until we board? My TA is awful. :eek: Sorry if this is lame...it's my first cruise. Thanks in advance.

Marlene

Greetings

I have a question about dinner. I am going on the Mercury 3-30-05. I received my package and it says dining:main. What does that mean? When do I know what time we are going to eat? Do I wait until we board? My TA is awful. :eek: Sorry if this is lame...it's my first cruise. Thanks in advance.

Marlene

Hi Marlene !

Main seating is another word for the first seating, which is around 6:15 pm.

The late seating, is at 8:30. If you would rather have late seating, I would suggest calling your travel agent, and have them request a change to the late seating.

Always remember, that if you are unhappy with your TA, there are lots of choices out there. If you arent happy with his/her service, I would look for a new TA for your next cruise.

You are going on a Great ship. I have been on Mercury many times, and I hope you will enjoy her as much as I have.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Thank you all for your quick responses. Actually eating early works best for us. I'm traveling with my 10 year old and my mom. Another question if I may...does my 10 year old son need a tie with his suit for formal night?

Thanks again. So glad I found these boards.

Marlene

As far as your son goes, the "rules" may say a tie is appropriate, but I can tell you that many children his age will not have a tie on. When my children were younger, it was fashionable to have collarless dress shirts, which they did not need to wear a tie with. When they wore a white one with a dark suite, it looked more like a tuxedo, so it was appropriate. That may be an option if they still have one. Its a good time to start having your son dress well now. I always did this, and now, as teenagers, they don't object to formal night.

On two of your points:

(1) Main seating can vary even more than some have posted. For some reason it was 5:45 on our second-to-last cruise. AAAAAAACK, that was early. Felt like barely time for lunch to digest.

(2) It's fun to have the young boys wear ties like the big guys. My son just turned 9 and has been on five X cruises dating back to when he was 6 1/2. Each time he's worn a suit & tie for formal nights. He loves it even though he's casual in real life :) -- TR

I have seen many with dress shirts and tie, dark pants and no coat. To be honest I thought they looked great. Kid grow so fast and unless you have other opportunities to wear I would not buy one just for the cruise.

Enjoy

Cindy

Archived