Caribou Crossing or Klondike Gold Dredge: Panning for Gold

kandtq

Anyone pan for gold at either of these places? We have a rental car in Skagway and I didn't know which was a better choice. We have 2 children, ages 4 and 6. Thanks!
I have not done either, but did a lot of research when we went last year since one of group wanted to go.

Caribou Crossing has other things to offer and if you are there and in the mood for panning, it is an optoin. But someone described it as a puddle of water. If you check the gold panning link on Caribou Crossing website, they have a picture.

The Gold Dredge offers a lot more picturesque setting, it is near the river, it has the dredge (not used in this area). The gold panning itself is in a set of troughs so again not something really exciting. These are also shown on their website.

In both, the chances are good to get some gold, since they salt the sand with something to find.

We planned to do the Gold Dredge even though we also did Caribou Crossing, but turned out the one who really wanted to do it didn't join us so we skipped it.

For kids that age I would suggest Caribou Crossing. They can see the sled dogs (there were puppies when we were there you could hold and give treats to) and see the Iditerod sleds. They also have stuffed "trophy" animals that your kids might enjoy seeing like a polar bear, elk, moose ect... As was stated earlier the panning for gold is just learning how to use the pan in a "salted" gravel sluice.

It was a great place to stop after being in the car all the way from Skagway and gave us the chance to walk around a bit before heading back. We also stopped and picked up lunch items at the grocery store and had a picnic lunch at one other stop. I would definately suggest getting Murray's guide for the drive up. You will have a good day and you can keep the kids busy looking for bears and wildlife on the side of the road!

I would definately suggest getting Murray's guide for the drive up.

I second the recommendation for Murray's guide. I ordered it and it is great!

You can find it here.... *****************

Have a wonderful trip!

Archived