Outside the Cruise compound?

matj2000

I have been to Belize 2 times and we did an Excursion 1st & the 2nd time we hung in the tourist area because there was a group of 9 of us and I didn't want to lead a group of people out of the Port area. Question: Outside the cruise port area, is there any stores, bars, restaurants, ect that are worth going to? I am not afraid to wander around.

See this thread from earlier this year. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356788

In short, there's not a lot. Flea market across from TV, turn right out of TV and there's a Smoky Mermaid restaurant, a nice promenade along the shore and a small lighthouse. Turn left out of the TV, dodge the hawkers, and go a few blocks tot eh swing bridge on your left, cross it and you'll be in the downtown shopping area where locals shop. There's a couple of restos around, and Brodies the main department store/ general store in Belize.

See this thread from earlier this year. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356788

In short, there's not a lot. Flea market across from TV, turn right out of TV and there's a Smoky Mermaid restaurant, a nice promenade along the shore and a small lighthouse. Turn left out of the TV, dodge the hawkers, and go a few blocks tot eh swing bridge on your left, cross it and you'll be in the downtown shopping area where locals shop. There's a couple of restos around, and Brodies the main department store/ general store in Belize.

I will be in the city this morning and will look for the 1 barrel rum for you.

Last year we walked uptown , across the bridge. We walked to the water and came back by the small boats (looked like small Venice). As we were walking my wife pointed out some of the wiring on the poles leading into some goverment buildings ( Atrocious). I took several pictures and showed our local building inspector. He couldn't believe it, maybe he will lighten up around here. On the way back we did a Horse and Buggy for $25. It was a good hour ride, very informative. If you walk uptown just be very alert. The first couple of blocks, some of the vendors or a little(very) Pushy. After you get by them everything tended to be normal, People just living their daily lives.:)

Archived