Real ring or dummy ring?

BadKitteh

I wear my wedding ring on the cruise. I may leave it in the safe while at port depending on what I am doing. I do make sure I has the ring checked before I go though. Once at Applebee's I noticed the main diamond in my wedding ring was missing. I almost had a heart attack. I had no idea when it fell out. I retraced my steps at Applebee's and found it in the front lobby! Two of the prongs broke and the diamond just fell out. Now I have the setting checked periodically, especially before vacation.

Wear it with pride!

I have a 0.5ct flawless diamond as my engagement ring that I wear while on vacation. There are lots of other people around with huge rocks, and honestly mine went unnoticed, which is the way I prefer it ;)

IMHO, we carry great insurance on the rock for a reason...it can't sparkle when it's in a safe.

There have been many great posts in response to your question. Whatever you decide to do, please be careful. There are thieves who specifically 'work' cruise ship passengers because as a group, cruise ship passengers represent significant cash and jewelery opportunities. Unfortunately, a thief cannot tell the difference between a 'real' and a 'fake' ring so either one can make you a target if it is flashy. As already mentioned in previous posts, one thing you can do is turn your 'flashy' rings into your palm to conceal them when you have concerns.

Hey BadKitten, You said you really want to wear your wedding jewelry. My advise is to wear them on the ship. Ask at the Purser's desk if they will put your rings in their safe when you arrive at a port. I have done that in my cruises. I know we have safes in our cabins but too many people have lost money and jewelry in their safes. You may forget to lock your safe too. That has happened to me. Lucky nothing was stolen.

Don't be afraid to wear your beautiful rings on the ship or in the ports as long as you stay close to your husband and the other cruisers.

You will be sorry if you leave your rings home because you will see gals with diamonds on all of their fingers. You will be kicking yourself.

I personally prefer to leave my favorite jewelry at home and only take rings that if I lose them I can replace them.

I have a friend who got married and her wedding ring cost $30,000. I know for a fact that she would wear them on a cruise ship. She has insurance and will be happy to have another diamond ring designed for her finger.lol. Some people have lots of money. Diamonds are a gals best friend.

I am middle class and I only wear my real diamond rings at home while I am using my computer. I take them off when I finish using my computer.lol. I don't like getting them dirty. It is fun just looking at them when I am typing on the computer.

I once lost a trilian cut diamond and I got so depressed because I had worn it to work and didn't know where to look for the diamond. Presently I wear fake trillian cubic rings and it makes me real happy to look at it.

Bad Kitten, have fun wearing your rings. Don't leave them at home. I know you will be looking at them everytime you look at your fingers and get lots of joy that you wore your rings. The joy that the rings will give is more important than worrying about losing them.

BUY A RING GUARD AT THE JEWELRY STORE. They can install it on your rings. I have ring guards on most of my rings.

I want to preface the "keeping it on all the time" issue by noting that I have worked in the jewelry business for 5 years. You should not have your rings on at all times (especially cleaning because the chemicals are harmful to the metal and cooking because who wants bacterial cross-contamination?) I take them off for cleaning, showering and cooking. It also keeps them from looking beat up and I don't have lotion caked in them.

We are getting married in September and honeymooning in January.

I wore my engagement ring swimming in the ocean and in a pool this past summer and it stayed put just fine, but I kept my eye on it so much I probably should have just had it off for those activities to avoid paranoia.

I am not worried about ocean activities and such, but my concern was mostly about going in to ports and making myself a target. I could turn it around, but am I really going to keep my hand in a fist all day or walk with my palm against my side so the turned ring isn't visible? Probably not.

Thanks for your input so far everyone! I think I would feel awful if I found rings while snorkeling!

I totally agree with you that you should not wear your rings all the time - I always take mine off for cooking and cleaning as well! More power to the ladies here who have worn theirs forever! However, I prefer not to get grease on my nice ring.

I took my rings on my honeymoon cruise, but my rule was that I kept them in 1 of 2 places at all times: on my finger, or in our safe. When we went out in the ports, I left my engagement ring in the safe (since it's a bit flashy and expensive) and I wore my wedding band (which is cheaper) so I wouldn't feel like my finger was naked!

Enjoy your cruise!!

More power to the ladies here who have worn theirs forever! However, I prefer not to get grease on my nice ring.

I've cooked, cleaned, mixed pie and bread dough, painted, stained. They're quite resiliant actually :D

While out with one of my friends yesterday we stumbled upon this cute accessory shop where nothing is over $30 and I found a really pretty "bridal set" for $13 that looks pretty legit. I will wait til much closer to the trip to get fakes since you can't resize base metal. I think I will end up wearing the fakes out to port and keep the real deal on on the ship. My mind may change before then, but I have 9 months to plan it out.

While out with one of my friends yesterday we stumbled upon this cute accessory shop where nothing is over $30 and I found a really pretty "bridal set" for $13 that looks pretty legit. I will wait til much closer to the trip to get fakes since you can't resize base metal. I think I will end up wearing the fakes out to port and keep the real deal on on the ship. My mind may change before then, but I have 9 months to plan it out.

BadKitteh you said in an earlier post that "I am not worried about ocean activities and such, but my concern was mostly about going in to ports and making myself a target." If this is your real concern, don't you think a set "that looks pretty legit" would also make you a target? Sorry if I'm not getting the logic there.

Archived