Real ring or dummy ring?

BadKitteh

Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding!

Whenever I travel (not just on a cruise) I always leave my engagement ring at home.

I just wear my wedding band.

If you think you'll worry about it throughout your trip, then I suggest you leave them at home and substitute something else.

Unless you plan on exploring out of the way places where your far from the ship and alone,you'll be fine.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

This is the exact dilemma I wanted to avoid. 32 years ago when my husband to be asked what I wanted in a wedding set, I replied “simple, nothing extravagant”. I told him if he wished to buy me expensive flashy jewellery in our married life he could do that with other items; rings for other fingers, earrings, necklaces etc. I wanted a set of rings that I never had to remove. The only time my rings have left my hand was for maintenance; cleaning, checking, resizing etc. Even the birth of my children and operations I had the hospital tape my rings instead of removing.

I guess really you should be asking yourself, if you are considering removing your rings for your vacation the very first time you go someplace, how many other occasions is this going to be required for in the next 50 years.

My rings have remained on my finger for almost 45 years. The only time I remove them is for cleaning & maintenance. "Whither I goest, they goest".

They are insured.

How wonderful, 45 years!

I personally do not take my rings on the cruise because we do alot of water activties, snorkeling, diving etc and I do not want something to happen to them. I purchased a really nice faux ring on a cruise 3 years ago and I wear that. I would rather lose a $50 ring than a $1200 non-replaceable item.

I have found several wedding bands and rings in the water at CoCoCay and on other trips and have felt so bad for the people who have lost them. Even though I turn them in, often times I am sure the owners never get them back.

That being said, like a previous poster, if you are not doing anything crazy or water related, wear your ring...after all you are a newly wed! :-)

I decided not to wear my wedding band and engagement ring on my honeymoon cruise to the carribean also. I wore a simple band (other jewellery I had in my box). I did the same for all other cruises even though nothing has ever happened to my rings!! I do take them off regularly though so this probably was a good reason for me to not wear them. I do wear my wedding rings on all other types of vacations, but just not cruising because of all the water activities/beach that I do, and walking in ports where I am not familiar with. I would rather take them off and put them in a safe at home than to wear them and risk losing them on a vacation! That's just my opinion though....

If your rings are sized correctly, I personally see no reason to take them off for your cruise.

If you think you're in a "shady" part of town, turn your diamond to your palm so it wont be as obvious.

That being said, it is really about what will make you more comfortable. You don't want to spend your vacation feeling bad your rings aren't on, nor do you want to spend it worrying about it being lost or stolen.

Either way, enjoy your honeymoon and don't miss your boat like I did!! :eek:

If your rings are sized correctly, I personally see no reason to take them off for your cruise.

If you think you're in a "shady" part of town, turn your diamond to your palm so it wont be as obvious.

good advice

Three reasons why I NEVER wear expensive jewellry when on vacation:

1. If it has great sentimental value I REALLY don't want to chance losing it (We do a lot of beach activities and I too have found jewellry while snorkeling and walking on the beach and very much doubt if it made it back to the owners.)

2. Flashy expensive jewellry makes you a target. A friend was mugged on an island for her very large, expensive engagement ring (Luckily she and her husband were not hurt - although the muggers threatened to cut off her finger if she could not get the ring off). This happened on a popular beach just out of earshot of the main area - NOT in an isolated area.

3. At a resort another friend accidently knocked her expensive ring onto the floor and under the bed (but did not notice she had done it). Luckily the maid found it and was honest and returned it immediately.

I want to preface the "keeping it on all the time" issue by noting that I have worked in the jewelry business for 5 years. You should not have your rings on at all times (especially cleaning because the chemicals are harmful to the metal and cooking because who wants bacterial cross-contamination?) I take them off for cleaning, showering and cooking. It also keeps them from looking beat up and I don't have lotion caked in them.

We are getting married in September and honeymooning in January.

I wore my engagement ring swimming in the ocean and in a pool this past summer and it stayed put just fine, but I kept my eye on it so much I probably should have just had it off for those activities to avoid paranoia.

I am not worried about ocean activities and such, but my concern was mostly about going in to ports and making myself a target. I could turn it around, but am I really going to keep my hand in a fist all day or walk with my palm against my side so the turned ring isn't visible? Probably not.

Thanks for your input so far everyone! I think I would feel awful if I found rings while snorkeling!

Wear them. Make sure you have them on your insurance rider. I honestly don't get why people leave their rings at home. Unless your rings are worth more than my house. But anyways. I actually had people surprised that I wore my wedding rings and diamond earrings in Costa Rica last year. Seriously? No one bothered me. I'm lost without the jewelry that I wear every day and can't imagine not wearing them.

Three reasons why I NEVER wear expensive jewellry when on vacation:

1. If it has great sentimental value I REALLY don't want to chance losing it (We do a lot of beach activities and I too have found jewellry while snorkeling and walking on the beach and very much doubt if it made it back to the owners.)

2. Flashy expensive jewellry makes you a target. A friend was mugged on an island for her very large, expensive engagement ring (Luckily she and her husband were not hurt - although the muggers threatened to cut off her finger if she could not get the ring off). This happened on a popular beach just out of earshot of the main area - NOT in an isolated area.

3. At a resort another friend accidently knocked her expensive ring onto the floor and under the bed (but did not notice she had done it). Luckily the maid found it and was honest and returned it immediately.

#2 is why I don't bring "real" jewelry on any vacation. I know someone who was robbed on her honeymoon and had trouble getting her ring off for the thief who then threatened to cut her finger off for it. She did finally manage to get it off. I only bring costume jewelry if any at all.

I want to preface the "keeping it on all the time" issue by noting that I have worked in the jewelry business for 5 years. You should not have your rings on at all times (especially cleaning because the chemicals are harmful to the metal and cooking because who wants bacterial cross-contamination?) I take them off for cleaning, showering and cooking. It also keeps them from looking beat up and I don't have lotion caked in them.

We are getting married in September and honeymooning in January.

I wore my engagement ring swimming in the ocean and in a pool this past summer and it stayed put just fine, but I kept my eye on it so much I probably should have just had it off for those activities to avoid paranoia.

I am not worried about ocean activities and such, but my concern was mostly about going in to ports and making myself a target. I could turn it around, but am I really going to keep my hand in a fist all day or walk with my palm against my side so the turned ring isn't visible? Probably not.

Thanks for your input so far everyone! I think I would feel awful if I found rings while snorkeling!

As I stated I do not remove my rings for anything in my 30+ years of marriage, neither did my parents (married over 53 years) or my grandmother who wore hers from the age of 16 to her death at 96. When cleaned up they all look pretty good to the naked eye. They may show age, but then again so do I. And trust me at 50+ years I’ve done my share of everything from water sports to under privileged country tours.

As for going into some ports from the ship. I like the one suggestion of turning the ring around if you are in a place that makes you uneasy and you don’t have to keep your hand in a fist, a human hand naturally curves a little inward when you relax it so unless you are wearing a rock the size of Texas, I’m sure you would be fine.

If that aspect had concerned me I would always keep it in a safe as I have traveled more seedy areas in the U.S. and Canada than the ports we’ve been to. Life is full of risks, but if I’ve learned anything in my years on this earth it is to no let those risks stop you from living. If the area you are going is that dangerous, then perhaps your whole body shouldn’t be there.

I always have this dilemma. My hands will swell in warmer, humid weather so I figured it wouldn't be a problem on cruises with warm weather...hands swell, rings should be very secure. This wasn't the case when snorkeling at GSC though. I was worried most of the time about my rings...they felt loose so I kept my fingers bent to keep them on. Next time, I'll put it in the safe when doing water activities.

When DH and I were ring shopping, our jeweller told us the same thing and I am the same way. I will wear mine to work but when I come home, they come off. Depending on what we're doing at school on a given day (I'm a science teacher), sometimes I won't wear them to work either.

I do wear my rings when we travel, including on both of our cruises, but I am careful with them. If we're doing anything that might damage them, I leave them in the safe. If I'm concerned about looking like a target somewhere, I leave them in the safe, though that hasn't really been an issue anywhere we've gone yet. They are also insured, which is something I'd recommend either way.

Ultimately, I think it's up to you and what will give you the most peace of mind.

As I stated I do not remove my rings for anything in my 30+ years of marriage, neither did my parents (married over 53 years) or my grandmother who wore hers from the age of 16 to her death at 96. When cleaned up they all look pretty good to the naked eye. They may show age, but then again so do I. And trust me at 50+ years I’ve done my share of everything from water sports to under privileged country tours.

As for going into some ports from the ship. I like the one suggestion of turning the ring around if you are in a place that makes you uneasy and you don’t have to keep your hand in a fist, a human hand naturally curves a little inward when you relax it so unless you are wearing a rock the size of Texas, I’m sure you would be fine.

If that aspect had concerned me I would always keep it in a safe as I have traveled more seedy areas in the U.S. and Canada than the ports we’ve been to. Life is full of risks, but if I’ve learned anything in my years on this earth it is to no let those risks stop you from living. If the area you are going is that dangerous, then perhaps your whole body shouldn’t be there.

Well said!!

We keep ours at home when we vacation. We just don't want to have to worry about them. When we get home they go back on our fingers, followed by a kiss. :)

Toni

I like the kiss part at the end. Very sweet!

Archived