First time on Island Escape

Haydrew

Hi all,

We're going on the Island Escape 13th September, we've cruised before on Thomson Celebration and Destiny but never been on IE before so have a few questions about the ship.

We know there's a restaurant you have to pay for eating there but wondering if there's a waiter service restaurant that you don't have to pay for like on Celebration and Destiny or will it all be buffet style self service like the Lido restaurants on C&D??

What plug adaptors will we need, the flat pin American sort or the round 2 pin euro plugs? I've read I'll need to take my own hairdryer.

Do we get the same complimentary toiletries, shampoo/shower gel and soap like on Thomsons? Not having to pack shampoo lightens the cases a bit lol

From some pictures of the cabins we can see they're going to be small cabins like on Destiny - that's not a problem but is there room to store our empty cases - we shared a cabin with Mother In-law on Destiny and ended up having to get another cabin but left our cases in her cabin as there was no room in our cabin for them to go :(

I'm sure I'll think of more questions nearer the time - can't wait to go now!!

Thanks in advance

Haydrew

:)

Hi all,

We're going on the Island Escape 13th September, we've cruised before on Thomson Celebration and Destiny but never been on IE before so have a few questions about the ship.

We know there's a restaurant you have to pay for eating there but wondering if there's a waiter service restaurant that you don't have to pay for like on Celebration and Destiny or will it all be buffet style self service like the Lido restaurants on C&D??

Island Restaurant: Buffet

What plug adaptors will we need, the flat pin American sort or the round 2 pin euro plugs? I've read I'll need to take my own hairdryer.

Flat pin

Do we get the same complimentary toiletries, shampoo/shower gel and soap like on Thomsons? Not having to pack shampoo lightens the cases a bit lol

Yes

From some pictures of the cabins we can see they're going to be small cabins like on Destiny - that's not a problem but is there room to store our empty cases - we shared a cabin with Mother In-law on Destiny and ended up having to get another cabin but left our cases in her cabin as there was no room in our cabin for them to go :(

We had enough storage in the cabin for 2 cases

I'm sure I'll think of more questions nearer the time - can't wait to go now!!

Thanks in advance

Haydrew

Any More Qs just ask ;)

From what I've heard Destiny cabins are smaller than the IE, we had plenty of room for 2. We took 1 large and 1 medium case and put one into the other, we took the chair away from the dressing table and they fitted nicely under there and didn't get in the way at all. AND what's the chair for? to throw all your clothes over of course, lol.:D:D

Jan

Thanks both :)

So I take it it's like Destinys cabins that you can't fit the cases under the beds then?

And there's no waiter service restaurants other than the restaurant that you pay for?

I will have to make sure I have a good look at what's on the menu before I go to the counters and start filling my plate with bits of everything lol

Is it really casual dress on the ship or is it smart casual like on Celebration and Destiny?

Thanks again both

Haydrew

We couldn't fit our particular cases under the bed. We had single beds and there was a storage box under mine which was quite handy to put things in, I found it by accident. No waiter service but the restaurant is dressed with tablecloths, cutlery, glassware etc. and the waiters will bring you drinks to the table. It actually speeds things up serving yourself. We found on the Celebration that it took forever to get the food served, I did think they sized us up on the first night when we were in our travelling clothes as the cases hadn't arrived and thought they would'nt get much in the way of tips of us, lol. They were right, watching them gushing over their pets while they kept us waiting isn't the way to get money off us.

Apart from formal night on the Celebration the dress is pretty much the same, smart casual, perhaps a bit more casual in the Beachcomber of an evening. I tend to think that if the staff go to the trouble to dress the restaurant and themselves smartly that you should do the same but some people disagree and do what they like.

The restaurant usually has a corner of the buffet with the theme foods of the evening such as Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc. We found it better to get down for 6.30pm and take the right hand entrance which is quieter, that way we got a table for 2 as we don't like to eat and talk at the same time. Then after into the show lounge for a good seat and the early show which left plenty of time to go and see the other entertainment. Cafe Brasil does a nice coffee if you like that.

Hope this helps a bit.:):)

Jan

We couldn't fit our particular cases under the bed. We had single beds and there was a storage box under mine which was quite handy to put things in, I found it by accident. No waiter service but the restaurant is dressed with tablecloths, cutlery, glassware etc. and the waiters will bring you drinks to the table. It actually speeds things up serving yourself. We found on the Celebration that it took forever to get the food served, I did think they sized us up on the first night when we were in our travelling clothes as the cases hadn't arrived and thought they would'nt get much in the way of tips of us, lol. They were right, watching them gushing over their pets while they kept us waiting isn't the way to get money off us.

Apart from formal night on the Celebration the dress is pretty much the same, smart casual, perhaps a bit more casual in the Beachcomber of an evening. I tend to think that if the staff go to the trouble to dress the restaurant and themselves smartly that you should do the same but some people disagree and do what they like.

The restaurant usually has a corner of the buffet with the theme foods of the evening such as Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc. We found it better to get down for 6.30pm and take the right hand entrance which is quieter, that way we got a table for 2 as we don't like to eat and talk at the same time. Then after into the show lounge for a good seat and the early show which left plenty of time to go and see the other entertainment. Cafe Brasil does a nice coffee if you like that.

Hope this helps a bit.:):)

Jan

We've got hard shell cases so no way of squashing them down - on celebration we had to have them opened up and pushed under the beds - we couldn't get them underneath with them shut.

We like to eat early so we'd get there early as we can for dinner to get to the early shows then get in for the other entertainment stuff. I don't mind sharing a table but if we could get a table for two that would be great - no time wasted chatting when you want to get to the shows lol. Do they do that gorgeous Korma curry on the late night menu like on Celebration - you can't beat a plate of chips and curry sauce at half one in the morning after a few cocktails lmao

When we went on our first cruise on Celebration we had a waiter keep hanging around us, he'd bring us new drinks when we'd got an inch left in our glass, would bring us pringles over and kept saying his name to us saying remember me remember me. We said we do remember you, he was a really nice guy but me being me just thought he was fishing for tips so it started to get my back up a bit. But after chatting with one of the entertainment staff he explained that they're not after tips he genuinely did just want us to remember his name for the questionaire at the end of our cruise - apparently the staff get oscars if they're mentioned by name in the questionaires as good hard workers etc and if they get lots of oscars it will go towards securing them another contract on the ship. Once I knew this I lapped it up him spoiling us keeping us well topped up with drink and made sure we named him in our questionaire - and gave him a tip too ;)

We're going on a Royal Caribbean ship next year and not looking forward to all the apparent tipping that is expected or rather added to your bill for things - we've prepaid them but it looks like you have to tip on top once you get on there - ugh!!!

Haydrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - we've just come back from a Med cruise on the Dream. Although we had a great time - I have very fond memories of the Island Escape. I particularly loved the bar at the top of the ship for when we were sailing off - there is no equivalent on The Dream. We were on the IE in Feb 2010 during the dreadful storms that wrecked Funchal - despite the rocky weather we enjoyed ourselves. The worst thing about the IE was the tiny cabin size whereas the Dream cabin was huge in comparison.

You'll have a great time.

Re. the Royal Caribbean, I just learnt last week that they allow smoking in the bars and lounges which has put me right off.:eek: I believe the only ship that doesn't is the one that departs from Southampton. Good job we haven't booked with them.:eek::eek: No offence to smokers but it has a really bad effect on me.

Jan

thanks for your replies, I think we're prepared for a tiny cabin, they can't be any smaller than Destiny's?

Phew!! we depart from Southampton so fingerscrossed we won't get any smoking inside the ship :eek:

Haydrew

Archived