Luggage/Packing Questions

Sunshine101

Hey fellow CC'ers....

We're getting excited for our upcoming cruise in October with our 2 girls (7 yo and 4 yo). I'm starting to think about how much luggage we'll need for the 4 of us. Usually my hubby and I have 2 med size suitcases for both of us when we cruise together. Do you think one more med size suitcase would be sufficient for the kids? And then have them bring their little "character" suitcases on the plane as their carry ons? What did you do? Any tips would be great.

Many thanks!

I only have one child, a boy, 4.5 years old. I did bring a suitcase just for him, but it was the largest regulation-sized carry-on. We checked it for convenience. DH and I each had one suitcase. That meant three checked bags plus a carry-on (backpacks) for each person. I was afraid that I overpacked for my DS, but it turned out, I packed just right. I didn't bring a lot of toys, but I did bring extra clothes and children's medicines just in case.

Sounds like it will be okay! Will you or your DH be able to handle 2 suitcases? I'm always thinking about all the transfers - for us it means car to airport, airport to shuttle, then ship to shuttle, through the airport and airport back to car. I'm guessing you won't be dragging along car seats, too? That might be more than 2 adults could handle. When we travel with DS and bring the car seat everything has to fit into 2 suitcases because the car seat is like a third piece of luggage!

A great packing tip - put a little bit of everyone's stuff in each suit case instead of "my" suitcase and "your" suitcase. That way if one is lost or doesn't make it to the ship you're not totally out of luck!

Everyone is likely different, but for our children at that age the 2:1 seems to work. We manage a to do it in a bit less, two carryons for us and one for our kids that stage + their backpacks like you suggest.

Hey fellow CC'ers....

We're getting excited for our upcoming cruise in October with our 2 girls (7 yo and 4 yo). I'm starting to think about how much luggage we'll need for the 4 of us. Usually my hubby and I have 2 med size suitcases for both of us when we cruise together. Do you think one more med size suitcase would be sufficient for the kids? And then have them bring their little "character" suitcases on the plane as their carry ons? What did you do? Any tips would be great.

Many thanks!

We're packing for a family of four and it looks like we're going to be able to do 1 check luggage, 1 carryon suit case with both kids stuff, a carryon for each adult, and a backpack for diapers/extras.

We normally travel with 2 med suitcase and carryon size suitcase + backpacks. For the cruise we could cut down because we're packing less bulky clothing.

One storage tip we've used many times are to purchase over-the-door shoe holders (you can pick them up at walmart or anywhere like that)......the kind with lots of pockets...you can get cloth...clear ones or netting......they are GREAT for keeping track of things in the room especially if you've got kids with lots of little stuff...sun glasses, lotion, keys, pj's, sandals, camera, - mom and dad use the top few rows and the kids get the bottom ones they can reach for their items. Great additional storage and things are much easier to find.

You may not even need the med suitcase for the kids. When we went with our kids last year (DD7 & DS12) they each had a rolling carryon (21" I think) that had their clothes etc and they each had a small backpack with electronics, books, etc. This was for a 4 nit cruise with a night in FL on each end. DH had a large carry on that we expanded and checked and I had a 24" that we checked (and we each had a carry on too). Ever since our DD has been about 5 she has wheeled her own case in the airports (she wanted to be big like her big bro)

If you are flying on an airline that doesn't charge for luggage I'd take 2 medium suitcases and 1 or 2 duffel bags. The duffel bags are easier to toss on top of the suitcases to drag around. :) We usually travel with two suitcases and a duffel for DD. It's easier than dealing with another suitcase to drag around.

ETA: Don't forget to put their swimsuits in the carry-ons just in case. :)

Archived