Do you like ships with movie screen on lido deck or not?

bethtogo

Just wondering, have not sailed on a ship with an outdoor movie screen. Do they just show movies at night? I like the the pool sceen on lido with music.... I have read reviews where they said they played the basketball tournament ect. so just wondering if it is going all day or just at night. Thanks for any info....

I was on the Triumph a few months ago and it was my first experience with one of the big screens on the Lido deck. During the sea days they ran concerts and movies on the screen.

I didn't think it added to my experience since I was up there to grab some sun and to read, but U2 fans would have been thrilled.

Just wondering, have not sailed on a ship with an outdoor movie screen. Do they just show movies at night? I like the the pool sceen on lido with music.... I have read reviews where they said they played the basketball tournament ect. so just wondering if it is going all day or just at night. Thanks for any info....

The SeaSide Theater screen is on constantly but there's not necessarily any sound associated with it.

During the day they normally have scenes from various ports of call and either live or canned island music. It's not very loud... just background. In the evenings they will normally show sporting events, concerts or movies. Each event will be listed in the Fun Times.

Do I like the SeaSide Theater? Yep, sure do but even at that nearly half of my cruises have been on Carnival ships without it. It's a nice feature but not one that makes or breaks a decision on selecting a ship...

:)

My Freedom cruise last October was my first time on a ship with the big screens on the Lido deck. I found them loud and distracting. Everytime I was up there, they had on CNN. I go on a cruise to get away from that stuff - no interest in watching hours of CNN while on vacation.

The only thing they did for me was keep me from ever sitting around the pool deck. I prefer the band, so on a ship that has these I will have to find something else to do on sea days.

We were actually going back and forth from between the Legend and the Dream. We CHOOSE the Dream because it HAD the big screen and the Legend did not. I have a 12 and 16 and 20 year old, and while they like to hang out at the teen lounge, they LOVE to watch movies at nighttime under the stars. We LOVE the big screen :)…. My sister who has only been on ships with the big screen recently tried RCL and hated it, partially because she misse the big screen. :)

I love it !

Movies at night with my the family while in the hot tubs, priceless !

I was on the Liberty last year when Canada beat USA for the gold medal in hockey, wow !

I will always remember that moment, americans were applauding the canada victory and after that some canadians sang the national anthem !

I could really take or leave them. I think the movies under the stars thing is a cool idea, but I don't like how the screens are on all the time now. Sometimes they are playing loud stuff on them, but as long as the aft pool is open it's no big deal. I just like a quieter pool experience most of the time. To be fair though, I'm not keen on the loud reggae bands poolside either.

I have been on Disney and Princess with movie screens..I was on the Carnival Glory in 2009 without it and now going again on the Glory which received the screen during its drydock last year. I love the screen when they truly use it as an outdoor movie experience. It is very relaxing and special ..Princess really does this up well. They cover the chairs with soft coverings and bring around little plaid blankets to cover up with if its breezy and free popcorn..very nice touches

I do not care for news like CNN, the cruise director morning shows or other info channels,..(I dont even watch these in my cabin...why would I want to see them on a huge screen ..go to your cabin if you really want to see these..please dont force them on all of us..) and out dated concerts. (Tina Turner, Michael Jackson, Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire..give me a break) I think they should show a family oriented movie early in the evening like 7 or 8 and a second feature around 10 that would be more PG 13 or R rated..

Also a major sporting event would be great also..as long as it didnt replace the majority of the movies.

based on what I looked up on recent Glory Fun times that John Heald posted...I think I am going to be disappointed in how the Glory utilizes the big screen..I hope not ..but it doesn't look good.

Here is a sample from March 1st....one movie the whole day ...LAME and too much Carnival programming and concerts..not my idea of outdoor theatre.

CARNIVAL’S SEASIDE THEATRE®

Live Morning Show with Jorge 9:00am

Fun Ashore & Aboard Presentation with Jorge 10:30am

Carnival Glory® Master Mixology 1:00pm

Diana Krall 6:00pm

James Brown 7:00pm

Iron Man 2 9:00pm

I think the idea of the movies under the stars is very good, although I have not gone to watch one on either of the two cruises where that was an option (either too many other things going on or not interested in the movie being shown). I hate the big screen being on during the day, even if the sound is muted. I like having music being played (preferably live, but if that goes away at least a DJ to play a variety of songs) to give the area a Caribbean feel, but showing concerts seems lazy and if someone is not a fan of a particular band they have to listen to a full hour or more of the same music. No need to have the big screens on constantly just because they are there. Night shows only please...but if not, I use the aft pool area. Not a deal breaker.:cool:

2006 we sailed on the Liberty , sat outside at night , 70 degrees with a warm breeze ,and enjoying a nice cocktail or two watching a Tina Turner concert on the Huge screen , it was a great evening !

I agree with everything about being outside, warm breeze, cocktail...but Tina Turner live in person = FABULOUS...Tina Turner on the Big Screen...not so much...give me a good old fashioned drive-in experience..but I'll trade the car for the warm breeze, lounge chair and cocktail..Cheers!!

My Freedom cruise last October was my first time on a ship with the big screens on the Lido deck. I found them loud and distracting. Everytime I was up there, they had on CNN. I go on a cruise to get away from that stuff - no interest in watching hours of CNN while on vacation.

The only thing they did for me was keep me from ever sitting around the pool deck. I prefer the band, so on a ship that has these I will have to find something else to do on sea days.

I feel the same way you do, but everyone is different. I guess I will have to wear ear plugs at the pool or not go at all while on the Dream. I like to relax at the pool, get some sun rays and read a book or just chill.

Someone should do a poll on this topic.

Do you like ships with movie screen on lido deck or not?.

Love the Movies Under the Stars screens, hate the ships they are on. (Conquest and Dream class)

Would love for Carnival to move them to the Fantasy and Spirit class ships and let the poolside complainers have the bigger boats.

Bill

Archived