Photography in Alaska, how to get good pics?

Sailkeywest

Hi there, I am a novice photographer with a very expensive new camera (Sony A55 with extra zoom lens). I have heard the glare in Alaska is quite much. I am wondering if anyone that knows photography can tell me if they recommend a filter or can I just increase the shutter speed or something? Maybe reduce the ISO? I really hope it is one of the latter suggestions :P

Thank you for any insight :)

Hi there, I am a novice photographer with a very expensive new camera (Sony A55 with extra zoom lens). I have heard the glare in Alaska is quite much. I am wondering if anyone that knows photography can tell me if they recommend a filter or can I just increase the shutter speed or something? Maybe reduce the ISO? I really hope it is one of the latter suggestions :P

Thank you for any insight :)

A circular polarizing filter will do the trick for most off-the-water glare. Plan to spend around $40 for a basic. Can go much higher if you want pro-grade, but a $40 Hoya or Tiffen should do the trick.

Increasing the shutter speed, etc. will deal with over-exposure, but not glare itself. If you do that, you will risk underexposing the rest of the picture.

A circular polarizing filter will do the trick for most off-the-water glare. Plan to spend around $40 for a basic. Can go much higher if you want pro-grade, but a $40 Hoya or Tiffen should do the trick.

Increasing the shutter speed, etc. will deal with over-exposure, but not glare itself. If you do that, you will risk underexposing the rest of the picture.

And if that camera is too much for you to handle, I will be glad to take it off your hands. :D I actually have the A500 which was the predecessor to yours. The A55 was the first of Sony's line with the new auto-focus system.

P.S. I just read on one site that actually not having a filter can ruin your lens! Is that true? Ack!

Yes, a filter can be a good protection device, wiping waterdrops and splashes and get a bit of grit--$40 vs. $$$$$ lens. Skylight/UV is a good multipurpose protector that doesn't affect your everyday shots, but provides a little benefit to sky/water shots.

If you are using a polarizer practice to find its sweet spot and know what times to take it off so that you don't lose too much light on overcast drizzle days and end of your lens clarity. I forgot a few times and got OK rather than the super shot I was going for. You can get some really weird colors shooting through a plane's window with a polarizer on, too. Fun:D.

P.S. I just read on one site that actually not having a filter can ruin your lens! Is that true? Ack!

Not having a filter will NOT ruin your lens. However, a filter does provide inexpensive protection. If you have the 18-250 Sony lens, it is a $579 lens. A $20 UV filter will affect your pictures very minimally and will protect the lens. If your lens gets hit and scratched, you throw a $20 filter away and get a new one.

Never use a polarizing filter as protection for your lens. You don't always want a polarizer on and they cost more than a UV. Get a UV filter, put it on and leave it on, then add on top of that.

Some pros don't like the impact UV filters have on the final image, but shooting as an amateur looking for pics for memory and not for sale, you will love the pictures you get either way. So slap the UV filter on and shoot away.

Just a note: assuming you can pull it off somehow, spend money for the filters and for a tripod or monopod. Shooting at full zoom, the support will come in handy. Odds are you are spending a few thousand dollars on this vacation. Don't risk your memories over $150. For that, you can have two decent filters and a decent tripod. Nothing high end, but serviceable.

If you want any specific recommendations, let me know. Tell me how much you want to spend, and I can give a few links to quality equipment.

I just purchased some filters for my Alaskan cruise. After asking all my camera junkie friends I ended up with the circular polarizing filter called Moose's filter by Hoya. I have gone to the local So. Cal beaches to play with it a bit and what a huge difference. I purchased one for each of my lenses for $31.00 each off ebay. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great advice! Well, first off, I think that I should invest in some filters, but I'd really like to go as cheap as possible because our trip is next month and I still have more luggage and clothing and such to buy. Are the $20 filters that bad?

Thanks again :)

Thanks for all the great advice! Well, first off, I think that I should invest in some filters, but I'd really like to go as cheap as possible because our trip is next month and I still have more luggage and clothing and such to buy. Are the $20 filters that bad?

Thanks again :)

An inexpensive UV filter is fine. Check these out. I recommend the second and third more than the first for filtering UV.

http://www.adorama.com/TF621A.html

http://www.adorama.com/TF62UV1W.html

http://www.adorama.com/TF62UV.html

Polarizers are below.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20384989.html (used)

http://www.adorama.com/SU62CPL.html

If you can spend about $50, here is a nice combo set that includes both, plus a pocket case.

http://www.adorama.com/TF62CK.html

Tripods are below:

http://www.adorama.com/CUP150.html

http://www.adorama.com/VNDF50F.html

http://www.adorama.com/CUN250.html

Any of them will be serviceable. With your deck, a tripod will give you great flexibility.If you want to connect after we board, my son knows far more than I do and he will be with us. He could give you a 30 minute crash course on how to get the most out of your camera. In the meantime, experiment!

Oooh, that sounds like a nice offer, I just may have to take you up on that! Thanks for all the great info, Dan, I will take a look and show Hubby! Btw, the tripod will really be useful on our veranda? I had images of the tripod flying overboard with our camera. ;)

Oooh, that sounds like a nice offer, I just may have to take you up on that! Thanks for all the great info, Dan, I will take a look and show Hubby! Btw, the tripod will really be useful on our veranda? I had images of the tripod flying overboard with our camera. ;)

The tripod will be very useful on your veranda. You can set it up with a wide, stable base and get great shots -- better than hand held, even with the anti-shake. Your camera and lens combined are probably a little over 2 lbs. Every tripod I listed is rated to 6 lbs, so they will be very stable with your camera.

ALWAYS put a protective lens over your camera lens and if you have a very expensive (L glass lens) take it off before you take pictures they are not the best glass. Also the higher the F stop the more dept of field but you will need a mono pod or tripod to get crisp pictures in most light conditions. I recommend a wide angle lens they don't come cheep but how often do you go to Alaska. My set up is a small back pack with straps for my mono pod. I can carry a telephoto lens, flash, lens hood and extra memory cards and batteries/charger. On tour buses I can set it in my lap or between my legs. Hope this helps;)

The tripod will be very useful on your veranda. You can set it up with a wide, stable base and get great shots -- better than hand held, even with the anti-shake. Your camera and lens combined are probably a little over 2 lbs. Every tripod I listed is rated to 6 lbs, so they will be very stable with your camera.

All you need is a mono pod a tripod is to hard to haul around check out W. Mart them run $28+

All you need is a mono pod a tripod is to hard to haul around check out W. Mart them run $28+

It depends what you want. You have to hold a monopod the entire time.

And a tripod or monopod bought at Walmart will have Walmart quality. Monopods have weight ratings also -- and the quality and type of the head will affect the shots you can get.

It depends what you want. You have to hold a monopod the entire time.

And a tripod or monopod bought at Walmart will have Walmart quality. Monopods have weight ratings also -- and the quality and type of the head will affect the shots you can get.

The mono pod I bought works just as good as the $100 camera shop one. I use the tripod on short trips and people photo's but use the mono pod when traveling as it is easier to pack around at 18" and works good on my Canon. But it's what you want to carry I just don't want to hate it after traveling all day taking pictures like I would with the tripod. Some places don't want you setting up a tripod because of insurance reasons but almost always you can get away with the monopod. Have a good one.

The mono pod I bought works just as good as the $100 camera shop one. I use the tripod on short trips and people photo's but use the mono pod when traveling as it is easier to pack around at 18" and works good on my Canon. But it's what you want to carry I just don't want to hate it after traveling all day taking pictures like I would with the tripod. Some places don't want you setting up a tripod because of insurance reasons but almost always you can get away with the monopod. Have a good one.

I agree with some of what you say, but not the quality. There is a reason you won't see pros with a Walmart special.

In my original answer, I told the OP she would want either a tripod or a monopod or both. She indicated money is an issue. If I had to pick one, I would pick a tripod. It's not that hard to carry around -- they do collapse -- and it can be used like a monopod in a pinch. On the other hand, a monopod can't be used like a tripod in a pinch. For on the veranda, a tripod is perfect. For excursions, a monopod has advantages. Each person has to weigh what they need.

There is a good article by Thom Hogan about tripods, it applies equally to monopods.

A 28 dollar monopod from walmart will be fine for a 200-400 dollar one pound superzoom point and shoot.

If you are looking for a good support for a DSLR and a larger higher quality lens you will be cheating yourself by going cheap here. A good manfrotto monpod runs only twice as much and trust me I've learned the hard way I got the cheap stuff, it don't hold up with the heavy stuff. You end up spending 2x and leanring the hard way good support is as if not more important than good glass.

Always use a filter.

It protects the lens from getting scratched. If you scratch the filter you can easily replace it and at a relatively low cost.

Keith

There is a good article by Thom Hogan about tripods, it applies equally to monopods.

A 28 dollar monopod from walmart will be fine for a 200-400 dollar one pound superzoom point and shoot.

If you are looking for a good support for a DSLR and a larger higher quality lens you will be cheating yourself by going cheap here. A good manfrotto monpod runs only twice as much and trust me I've learned the hard way I got the cheap stuff, it don't hold up with the heavy stuff. You end up spending 2x and leanring the hard way good support is as if not more important than good glass.

Not if you are careful and know what to look for. You can do it your way I'll do it mine I've used it for some time and find NO fuzzy pictures and it's still in great condition. Granted you can't just grab one off the shelf you have to look at it. Some people think because of where you buy it makes it better or by buying it for two prices makes it better I don't. this is what I will be taking to Alaska it works for me:D

1148663644_IMG_3733sml..jpg.7f79da5f8fac72cbe01b2fd8029d171b.jpg

Good for you, try it with a 200F2 mounted to a d3s and shooting for hours I won't put 10K of gear on 28 bucks, I'll spend my 50 bucks.

You can argue make the argument about expensive cars with cheap tires work too :D

Go with what works.

Not if you are careful and know what to look for. You can do it your way I'll do it mine I've used it for some time and find NO fuzzy pictures and it's still in great condition. Granted you can't just grab one off the shelf you have to look at it. Some people think because of where you buy it makes it better or by buying it for two prices makes it better I don't. this is what I will be taking to Alaska it works for me:D

Not trying to be smart here and haven't got the foggiest idea of some of what you are talking about.

But let me ask this. How is it possible for anyone not to take wonderful pictures in Alaska? We have hundreds maybe thousands and if you stop working on the computer for a little bit they start playing for you. :) DW takes most all of them, me I'm looking for what ever I can see there is no place like Alaska. Have fun.

Hey, I made a post earlier and it did not post!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the very informative discussion on cameras, filters, and tripods. I told Hubby that the filters are a must, but we are still contemplating the tripod.

I really like these filters, does anyone know what the advantages of these are?:

http://www.adorama.com/TF62CK.html (ty dan) (ty keith also for your input, I've decided we definitely need one!)

And Kc7wxy, we got one of those backpack-camera-carrying cases that you can wear over the shoulder (kata) I hope that it is good! I like that it came with a rain-cover.

Also, Chipmaster, you made our decision even harder! If we go the economical route, we save money, but in the long run it might not be worth it to do so!

Also, if anyone knows the diff between aluminum and carbon fiber tripods, input is appreciated.

Thank you again :)

Archived